Lighting Survey
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-15-2003, 09:05 PM   #1
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

I'm working on a very rudimentary lighting survey at http://www.doodlefrog.com/aquarium/index.php

It is just a study in lighting intensity levels, as I'm just curious to see how everyone is lighting their tanks.

The green band through the center shows the "optimal" lighting of 2 to 3 watts per gallon. I'm curious to see how much that deviates on the upper and lower ends of the size spectrum.

The graph is self updating, so if you enter a larger tank size it will accomodate that size after the page has been reloaded.

Enjoy
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2003, 09:38 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Interesting survey! I'm subscribing to this!
Old 12-15-2003, 10:08 PM   #3
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

Cool, I'm glad you like it. I'm messing with a new set of tools called jpgraph. I typically try to learn how to use something new like this by doing a personal project (because I'm more driven to complete it) and then I apply my new found knowledge to a project here at work.

I'm still messing with some of the features of the jpgraph tool, so the graph will probably change a little over the course of time.

One of the things that is next on my list is adding some options to drill down to set a range of aquarium sizes to that the graph shows more relevant information.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:28 PM   #4
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bug Fixes:
Fixed problem where optimum range was not displayed properly when a low range was selected.
Low filter can no longer be higher than high filter. Graph returns to unfiltered state in this instance.
Fixed stylesheet problem

Enhancements:
Graph now substracts 1 from low end and adds 1 to high end in a filter mode so it is easier to see desired data.
Added statistics
Old 12-17-2003, 02:21 AM   #5
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome!
EPC Member #27
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2003, 09:30 PM   #6
infin
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

since most tanks range from 1-150 gal, is there a way you can just graph that portion seperate, instead of showing all the way to 500
infin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2003, 09:45 PM   #7
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Just select the low and high limits on the left side. You can shoose to see tanks between, say, 20g and 55g.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:02 PM   #8
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm also working on a logarithmic version that can be seem here.
www.doodlefrog.com/aquarium/wpgavg_log.php
Old 12-18-2003, 06:04 AM   #9
Daemonfly
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tried to enter my 2.5g with 13w, but either it didn't take it, or it put the 2.5 at 2.0
Daemonfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2003, 06:13 AM   #10
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

It never occurred to me that someone might have a tank size with a decimal point in it. I set up the fields in the database as INTEGER fields. I'll have to go back and make the change and convert to decimal. Might be a while though, I'm up at work still trying to resurrect an exchange server and I won't be done anytime soon and then I'm going home to sleep.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:26 AM   #11
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can you make it so that when its viewed your PC's little plot point has a diffirent colour from the rest please.
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2003, 09:39 PM   #12
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonfly
Tried to enter my 2.5g with 13w, but either it didn't take it, or it put the 2.5 at 2.0
Ok, decimals are allowed now. You can enter a tank size up to 9999.9 gallons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
Can you make it so that when its viewed your PC's little plot point has a diffirent colour from the rest please.
There are ways of doing it, but it wouldn't be 100% reliable. The only two ways of doing it without going to a login based scheme is by IP and/or cookies.

I do log the IP address of entries, but only for security reasons. That way the same tank entry can't be entered 500 times by the same person whether by accident or on purpose. If there is some malicious activity I can easily weed out the offending records based on IP as well.

Now, I could highlight the entry based on IP but it would really only work if you were on cable modem or dsl, and even then it might only highlight it for a little while depending on how often your IP changed. Dialup it would be totally useless since you get a new IP every time you connect.

I could do a cookie based scheme, but it's a too late for all of the entries that are already in there and that's not 100% reliable since cookies can be cleaned out.

Now using a combination of IP and cookies would give better overall performance because I could check for the presence of a unique string in a cookie file and update the IP in the database based on the cookie, and then if the cookie were gone I could recreate the cookie if the IP matched with the database. Honestly, I never really thought about doing all of that on this project though.

*phew* Bet you weren't looking for a tutorial on web authentication, were ya?

<-- Webmaster extraordinaire

So, at this point really, the only option would be IP based. I'll see if I can implement it a little later when I get a little time. I'm off all next week for Christmas so I'll be looking for stuff to do.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:53 AM   #13
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was thinking more in terms of session management, where yes, you would assing an ID to the viewer, but wont record it.

It will just show your point diffirent directly after having submitted it

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.