220 gallon dirted tank with CO2 injection - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Or or orrrrr

Make the biggest moss wall ever to be seen.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
aqua-botanicae
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
[...] What substrate are you going to use?

Being a penny pincher I think river sand from a landscaper would be the cheapest and easiest to maintain. The color is brown thus it doesn't show debris as white sand does.
It is going to be a planted tank with dirt capped with river sand as substrate.

Agree with you absolutely that darker substrate would look better. I am going to see a local sand and gravel warehouse this Friday to check out their coarse sand.

Last edited by aqua-botanicae; 06-13-2013 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: quote added
aqua-botanicae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
aqua-botanicae
Algae Grower

The aqua scape that I have in mind... (top view):

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371150696.137349.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	158785

Last edited by aqua-botanicae; 07-12-2013 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: additional info
Old 06-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #19
Aquaticus
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Looks like you've got a nice list of species. I'm not sure how tall you are, but reaching down to the bottom back of your tank will probably be tough, so make sure you have the right tools to handle the Val. It will want to spread, and once the roots hit your soil, they will spread fast. I trim my Val. americana weekly, and cutting the runners is a big part of it. If you let it go too long, the new plants will hit the soil and make a big mess when you have to pull them up, if you aren't careful (speaking from experience, although sand will help prevent this). I like it a lot, though. Easy to grow. Looks great in the background.

Make sure you leave enough room for the swordplant in the corner.
Aquaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
aqua-botanicae
Algae Grower

Aquaticus, I appreciate your suggestions. I had exactly these concerns in fact.

I am 5' 10" and I am climbing onto a chair to reach the bottom. For this particular reason, I am also considering removing the canopy, which adds extra 6"-8" height.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #21
aqua-botanicae
Algae Grower

Things that arrived in the mail today...

Fluval FX5 Canister Filter

Odyssea 72" Quad T5HO Freshwater Lights: 4x80w=320w

Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator

Last edited by aqua-botanicae; 07-06-2013 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: added info on light wattage
Old 06-14-2013, 03:26 AM   #22
aqua-botanicae
Algae Grower

Installed the lights and removed the canopy. Now I can reach the bottom of the tank without having to use a chair.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:08 AM   #23
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Looks good! I'm a fan of canopy-less tanks if you can get away with it.

I just finished up de-rimming my 200. I really like how clean it looks now. I'm planning on a eurobrace.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #24
aqua-botanicae
Algae Grower

I like the way rimless tanks look too. How safe is it to remove the rims?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #25
isellcars
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I hope you have a 10# tank for you co2. If you have a 5# you will be filling it every 7-10 days if not sooner. Don't bother with a bubble counter it will be completely useless. Just get a very good drop checker.....I got mine from gla and it's well worth the money. I would look into a cerges reactor as well. That is the one I find that works best. I have a 90g heavily planted tank and my 5# is refilled about once a month. I know others with a 150g and refill every other week. I do like your set up and it's going to be something else when done. Have you decide on the fish or shrimp that's going in?
isellcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #26
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua-botanicae View Post
I like the way rimless tanks look too. How safe is it to remove the rims?
As long as you replace the cross braces in the trim with a suitable replacement you should be ok. Sometimes the glass under the trim needs smoothing out, but I just hit it with a portable sander and it takes any sharp edges off. I've seen machined edges under the trim, but its rare.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #27
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
As long as you replace the cross braces in the trim with a suitable replacement you should be ok. Sometimes the glass under the trim needs smoothing out, but I just hit it with a portable sander and it takes any sharp edges off. I've seen machined edges under the trim, but its rare.
Euro bracing would be nice on a tank like this if you wanted to remove the black trim and cross braces.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #28
aqua-botanicae
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by isellcars View Post
I hope you have a 10# tank for you co2. If you have a 5# you will be filling it every 7-10 days if not sooner. Don't bother with a bubble counter it will be completely useless. Just get a very good drop checker.....I got mine from gla and it's well worth the money. I would look into a cerges reactor as well. That is the one I find that works best. I have a 90g heavily planted tank and my 5# is refilled about once a month. I know others with a 150g and refill every other week. I do like your set up and it's going to be something else when done. Have you decide on the fish or shrimp that's going in?
Thanks for sharing your experience regarding CO2 equipment. I've read from many posts that if there is no leak, a 5 gallon tank should last upto three months.

I have a school of neon tetras, corydoras julii and otoncinclus, which will move to this tank when completed, and I am planning to add a school of red minor tetras and blue rams.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #29
isellcars
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Good luck with that. You will find most people telling you your tank will last 4 months......have 40g tanks. I bet they are also telling you to be at 2-3 bubbles per second.....such a good laugh that one is as well.
isellcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #30
aqua-botanicae
Algae Grower

Since I have thought over the hardscape and aquascape and had everything ready, I started setting up the aquarium last weekend.

I placed a large 60 lb rock, which I got at a local sand and rock yard, on egg crates. Man, that was a heavy rock and I was so scared that I might drop it accidentally and break the aquarium glass. Thank God, I placed the rock carefully without any accident.

Then I dumped five bags of Miraclo Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix, which created a 1"-1.5" layer of soil.

I then started capping it with washed Quikrete All Purpose Sand, which is basically coarse sand. Well, here is the thing. I washed the first bucket of sand without sifting it first, and I can tell you after 25 minutes of non-stop washing, the water in the bucket was still muddy. So, for the rest of the sand, I first sifted it to get rid of fine sand/dust and separate larger grains from the rest of the sand.

Another thing about Quikrete All Purpose Sand is that while tan under sunlight, it's quite pale in color under bright aquarium light. So, I had some darker river sand in my smaller tank, which I used on top of the Quikrete All Purpose Sand. I also attached rubber bands in multiple points of the driftwood to attach Anubias.

Having half-filled the aquarium with water using a glass bowl under the hose, I started planting the flora. The driftwood, although previously waterlogged, due to several weeks of drying became free floating again. So I used a rock and a few clay bricks to keep it down.

By the time I finished planting and filling the tank, it was time to put kids to bed, so I had to turn off the light and wait patiently until the next day.

The next morning, the water in the aquarium was quite murky and stayed like that for the next couple of days. First, I thought that it might be the first batch of sand, which was quite dusty. However, when the murkiness did not disappear after two days, I understood it was a bacterial bloom, common in newly set up aquariums.

Last edited by aqua-botanicae; 07-12-2013 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: additional info

Tags
220 gallon planted tank, aquascape, co2, dirted tank, planted tank