13 Stones PT2 - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #46
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
What is HC? I used to know but its been awhile since I last heard it

Sent from my dogs crate
Hemianthus callitrichoides. It's often abbreviated on this forum to HC. Also known as Dwarf Baby Tears
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #47
jwh0818
Algae Grower

PTrader: (-1/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Hemianthus callitrichoides. It's often abbreviated on this forum to HC. Also known as Dwarf Baby Tears
Thats what I know it as! Dwarf baby tears. Ive never haf them because I heard it wad so hard to keep alive

Sent from my dogs crate
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:38 AM   #48
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thats what I know it as! Dwarf baby tears. Ive never haf them because I heard it wad so hard to keep alive

Sent from my dogs crate
It's not a hard plant IMO, I have better luck with it than a lot of others. It needs a decent amount of light, many think it requires pressurized CO2 though I have grown it without well, I would recommend CO2 injection. The only thing I don't like about the plant is it is super sensitive to spot dosing with Excel or H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide).
Old 08-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #49
jwh0818
Algae Grower

Quote:
It's not a hard plant IMO, I have better luck with it than a lot of others. It needs a decent amount of light, many think it requires pressurized CO2 though I have grown it without well, I would recommend CO2 injection. The only thing I don't like about the plant is it is super sensitive to spot dosing with Excel or H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide).
Is it okay to dose with glut without it melting away? I would assume the H2O2 is only for spot treating and algae break out?

Sent from my dogs crate
Old 08-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #50
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Is it okay to dose with glut without it melting away? I would assume the H2O2 is only for spot treating and algae break out?

Sent from my dogs crate
It's fine to dose glut/excel into the tank, you just can't spot treat with it. H2O2 is only for killing problematic algae. Glut/Excel can be use the same way as well which will kill HC when you inject it directly on the HC without water movement. But just dosing the tank at recommended levels is perfectly fine.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #51
jwh0818
Algae Grower

Quote:
It's fine to dose glut/excel into the tank, you just can't spot treat with it. H2O2 is only for killing problematic algae. Glut/Excel can be use the same way as well which will kill HC when you inject it directly on the HC without water movement. But just dosing the tank at recommended levels is perfectly fine.
Sweet! I may have to give it a try then. Itll be getting planted in a 20 long with miracle grow soil and pfs cap sp I think it will bo great. My giant hairgrass has taken off quite crazily since moved to this 20L

Sent from my dogs crate
Old 09-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #52
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

So I thought I would not have much time to deal with this tank as my wedding is coming up (10 days). Truth be told, I am spending more time on my tanks than ever, great stress relief.

I spent more than a few hours going over just about 100% of the glass with a razor blade. I have some old brown algae that is long dead but is really tough to get off the tank. I really hate using razor blade but this tank has some bad scratches as I accidentally set up the tank backwards when I started and large slopes with Flourite have always scratched the back of my tank. I accidentally made it the front.

I am still going through minor algae problems, raising the light about 1 inch per week. I also am being under fertilized as the silicone hose I use for my autodoser has kinked. It seems the HC still carpets well with my light still coming up so I think the balance can be reached, hopefully soon.

Here is a new front pic, cell phone as usual. I did edit it a bit to show how it really looks to the best of my abilities but minor editing to a bad photo never makes it a great one.