calling those who struggle with GDA - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 06-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #16
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post

Jeff

were you using aqua soil? when you trim the plants you slow down the needed nutrients, they were taking up all the nutrients before you trimmed them. there are some plant which use more of N or P, Ludwigia is being one of them who use high amount of P. you said it was NH4 that caused the GDA for you, but have you thought about after you trimmed the plants PO4 wasnt being used much anymore? what if i prove you wrong on NH4 causing GDA, would you believe me???

am not fully blaming the PO4 for the algae, i have yet to confirm this, i have to continue my test for couple more weeks before i can come up with final conclusion.

i don't want to offend Tom barr but he was against adding NH4 and said it will cause alage, green water etc and he mentioned you will have to change the water everyday when dosing NH4. i can prove this wrong as well, would you believe me if i showed you the results of no water change for 2 weeks with German blue rams living in the water, where 0.7ppm of NH4 was added daily. there was no green water or any other alage, the only algae i got was plant grew like weed.

NH4 cant be the real cause of GDA.
Well, I might or might not believe you, but I'd be interested to hear what you have to say on the topic. I wasn't using AS and it was just my assumption that NH4 was the cause.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #17
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
you came here with the generals fact about the bacteria and missed the whole point, read further:

0.7ppm of NH4 is a lot, that is being added everyday, test results showed constant of 0.5ppm of ammonia/ammonium on API test kits test every other day, so it was always present in the water. my tank had less bacteria and less media to begin with, also with very low ph and soft water, bacteria is less active in these condtions.

you should look into my Ultimate fertilizer thread, you will come to know the answers.

now lets get back to GDA
I may be completely wrong and my question probably isn't even applicable to the situation. In an acidic pH doesn't ammonia exist as ammonium which isn't toxic to fish?
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:58 AM   #18
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
I may be completely wrong and my question probably isn't even applicable to the situation. In an acidic pH doesn't ammonia exist as ammonium which isn't toxic to fish?

yes Jeff, ammonium is harmless to aquatic life, but in higher amount it can harm some plants, 0.5ppm of ammonium is highest uptake i have seen in high light planted tank. for those who get green water from it, they actually have ammonia in their water.

like i said NH4 or just KNO3, GDA grew and was present in both cases. i have already said i am waiting for green spot algae to occur on the glass but it hasn't happened yet, this is a clear sign of excess PO4, otherwise it would have had occur already.

some people here are confusing GDA and GSA, they are two different algae people, GSA (green spot algae) which is hard to come off and GDA (green dust alage) which comes of very easily.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #19
hisxlency
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

looks like im going by the LFS to see if they have Bushy Nosed Pelcos this weekend!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #20
JL15219
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

I have two in my tank and still having trouble with GDA......hmmm
Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #21
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL15219 View Post
I have two in my tank and still having trouble with GDA......hmmm
i think even if you add more, this does not fix the root cause, add them and remove them and see if GDA return, most likely it will.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #22
JL15219
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are you trying the MCI method or how are you going about getting rid of it? Really didnt want to add any BN pleco.

Edit:Opps Just reread the thread and noticed that you are using the MCI method
Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #23
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Are you trying the MCI method or how are you going about getting rid of it? Really didnt want to add any BN pleco.

Edit:Opps Just reread the thread and noticed that you are using the MCI method

yeh, i have never tried it before, so i am testing it on my tank to see if there is any truth to it.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #24
JL15219
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
yeh, i have never tried it before, so i am testing it on my tank to see if there is any truth to it.
Well thats good was thinking of trying it myself......I also tried the one two punch with only H2O2 but didnt work it knocked it back a bit but returned the following week.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #25
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Well thats good was thinking of trying it myself......I also tried the one two punch with only H2O2 but didnt work it knocked it back a bit but returned the following week.

i think you should try what Tom suggested. if you have full control over your water such as using 100% RO and know how much fert you are adding then you should try the MCI, also MCI can take too long, you might not like the wait. try the Plecos as suggested by Tom and report back, once the GDA is gone, try removing them and see if GDA returns.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #26
JL15219
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
i think you should try what Tom suggested. if you have full control over your water such as using 100% RO and know how much fert you are adding then you should try the MCI, also MCI can take too long, you might not like the wait. try the Plecos as suggested by Tom and report back, once the GDA is gone, try removing them and see if GDA returns.
Yeah I dont use RO water....plain tap water since I have African cichlids that need the hard water.....was just kind of worried about adding 10-12 more fish to an already stocked tank.
What to do what to do.

Last edited by JL15219; 06-13-2013 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: =
JL15219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #27
happi
Planted Tank Guru

New updates
Old 06-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #28
happi
Planted Tank Guru

i also have done an experiment for 2 days, i took 2 glass, one with tank water and one with 100% RO water, i left them outside in full sunlight all day for 2 days straight. but i did not witness any GDA or other algae in both glass. we have to remember that sunlight is many many times powerful and intense than our tank lights. this suggest strong light isn't the cause of GDA, it comes from somewhere else. i have also confirmed in my recent thread that having 0ppm of PO4 and GDA still flourish. MCI was wrong on This finding, including Ca/Mg ratio. the only thing i can confirm is adding extra Mg is beneficial to prevent GDA. am not saying MCI doesn't work, but i can only confirm things i can test. i would also like to repeat these test to be 100% sure because test kit could be wrong, plus i did not get any GSA, which for sure can confirm this. i will give another chance to MCI.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #29
dzega
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

i did have GSA and constant readings of 0 PO4, GDA still there. then i decided if its there and grows i might aswell put that in use and bought few ottos. im happy since
dzega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #30
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzega View Post
i did have GSA and constant readings of 0 PO4, GDA still there. then i decided if its there and grows i might aswell put that in use and bought few ottos. im happy since

did you clean the GDA while you had GSA at the same time to see if GDA return??