Non R/O options for hard water in a nano?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Vulcanized
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Non R/O options for hard water in a nano?

Hello.

I am running a six gallon Fluval Edge. I live in a place with naturally very hard tap water - GH of about 180, KH of 180. My only LFS selling R/O water is pretty far away and it's not very feasible for me to go there often. I'm looking for possible solutions to this problem. Has anyone had luck with water softening pillows? Could I use distilled water in combo with tap water? I've read about using peat, but I'm a sucker for clear water. I usually have Purigen in my filter. Can I combo that with peat for clearer water?

If I can't find any other solution, I guess I'll just have to figure out a way to get the R/O water from my LFS, but I'd like to save myself the driving if I can.

This tank is planted with java fern, java moss, and dwarf hairgrass. I'm thinking of pulling the hairgrass out so I can lower the light. Nitrate and nitrite are 0, Ph is 7.

Thanks for any advice!
Vulcanized is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

To lower KH and GH cabonates, calcium and magnesium has to be removed. The easiest ways to do that are R/O or distillation. Yes you can use distilled/tap mix. Do you have a grocery store near you? Most have a water dispensing machine outside. That is an R/O machine. No need to over pay at many LFS. I have used these and the water quality seems quite good. The price here is $1.50 for 5 gallons. I'd check around the stores and see if you can find one.

All that said I have tanks that I use straight tapwater with GH and KH higher than yours. No problems growing anything.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Vulcanized
Algae Grower

Thanks, Zorfox! I will check it out next time I'm at the grocery store. I'm not so worried about the hardness for the plants, but I want to keep shrimp and I know they like it softer.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

If the grocery store doesn't have RO water, check out Walmart if one is close by. They have a RO water machine and sell RO water by the gallon. They use green caps on them so it's easy to find.
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
melanotaenia
Planted Member

When I was in grad school in Albany I had the same problem; I used distilled water from the store and re-mineralized it to allow for a low GH and KH; provided you have a small tank like yours, it won't be too difficult since you'll only need a couple of gallons for water changes (and top top off aquarium in between).
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
Vulcanized
Algae Grower

Thanks, guys. I found an R/O dispenser at a nearby grocery store (though it did take me forever to find a jug). I've been slowly switching over and things are looking pretty good!
Old 06-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's great to hear.
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.