Fishtown USA visit; Ramsey, NJ
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New Jersey

Old 07-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
GriffinB
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fishtown USA visit; Ramsey, NJ

Hey guys,
I recently stopped by Fishtown USA in Ramsey and I must say that he had quite a large selection of plants. And most of them looked very solid. I still dont think ill buy fish here...I save that for Absolutely fish in Clifton. But Fishtown definitely had a larger selection of plants then Absolutely does. Just thought I would let you guys know. May stop in next time and do some plant shopping if I am in the area.

One other cool thing was...I asked him about the availability of a specific fish (clown barb) and he said that he can order them for me if I was interested. I liked this answer because at Absolutely Fish I have asked the same question and instead they answer..."leave your name and number and we will call you if we get any." Not as helpful.
GriffinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
midlife_hobbyist
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I ran around yesterday and checked out a few stores in NJ. Where did you see large selection of plants at Fishtown - I must have missed it..

I do not have a salt water tank so I am not basing my opinion on anyone's Saltwater selection....
But based upon FW livestock - I'd have to rank Absolutely Fish, Pet Shanty & Rt4 Aquarium ahead of Fishtown USA - IMO ....the first three have immaculate tanks compared to what I saw at Fishtown -wasn't impressed at all.....
midlife_hobbyist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
GriffinB
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

O i agree completely. Again im not buying fish there. I thought he had more plants then absolutely fish. Where are these other stores? Thanks
GriffinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
LS6 Tommy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I've dealt with Evan @ Fishtown and with Pat/Jim at Absolutely Fish for years. Heck, I've been going to Absolutely Fish since it was AquaTropics. Tried Route 4 numerous times over the years. I don't think the livestock @ Fishtown and Absolutely Fish are much different in terms of health & quality, although Absolutely Fish does have a larger selection of livestock, Fishtown has a larger selection of plants & freshwater inverts. Until recently, every time I've been to Route 4 the livestock was not so great. About a year ago I went there again & things are definitely much improved. Fishtown is more generous with store credit when I bring in cuttings. AF is a bit pricier, but they are pretty much the "big dog", so that's their privilege. I won't "bad mouth" any LFS publicly. Do I have any negative thoughts on any of them? Yes, but they're very minor and not about the operation of the stores or the livestock/plants, so I'll keep them to myself.

Tommy

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
LS6 Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

coming from NY, fishtown usa, and absolutely fish are great for us. both carry plants and fish which arent readily available in our area. Both shops have made efforts to expand both their plants and freshwater selection. IMHO, both worth a visit in addition to fish hut and kazimir.