Barr Internal Venturi CO2 Reactor - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-15-2006, 04:13 PM   #16
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post

That's what happens when someone copies your stuff, but does not understands it. So I show folks the better designed and nice looking DIY model and folks can make it for 1/5th the cost

Now if you keep adding more CO2, too much etc, the excess gas will burp out the hole opposite the pump and venturi side, so you have 3 ways of expelling gas from this unit/design.

Tom Barr
This is true. The "mini vortex" reactor, which was my first reactor, had a bad habit of having too much gas build up inside and because it was to be mounted vertically, it had a tendency to develop an airlock within the rio, if one was really cranking the CO2 to reach 30ppm. I had to retire it and went with a traditional inline reactor which Rex helped me concept out. That 30 bucks is still sitting on the shelf of aquaria junk.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Last edited by Betowess; 09-15-2006 at 08:57 PM..
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2006, 05:14 PM   #17
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Post like that warm my wittle heart

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 09-15-2006, 08:16 PM   #18
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess View Post
Very cool Hoppy. Do you know what size tank (up to) it might be recommended for? Also, what is the GPH of a Catalina 400? I can't find it yet online. Is it around 120 GPH? Oh yeah, I just subscribed to the BarrReport. LOL
The powerhead puts out 200 gph with no back pressure, but only about 80 gph with a foot of head, down to about 40 with two feet of head. I haven't run mine yet, since I'm still a few days short of having the tank set up. But, I can tell by how good it looks that it will be everything I ever dreamed of! (But, my dreams tend to be a bit dull nowadays.)
Old 09-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #19
esarkipato
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Send a message via MSN to esarkipato

Hoppy, is this up and running? results? pictures?

I'm in the "market" for a new reactor....need ideas.

29 Gallon Tank: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

MY RENA FILSTAR XP3 PIMPS ME! (#67)
esarkipato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:46 PM   #20
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato View Post
Hoppy, is this up and running? results? pictures?

I'm in the "market" for a new reactor....need ideas.
Yes, it is now running and running quite well! I doesn't really collect a big CO2 bubble in the top as the sketch shows. It contains a swirl of CO2 bubbles, mostly confined in the middle of the water in the tube, but at the top it jumbles a bit and the bubbles get sucked in by the powerhead venturi loop tube. That generates mist which exits at the bottom. I use another powerhead with a sponge filter for filtration, which is at the opposite end of the tank, and that establishes water circulation which moves the mist all over the tank. I am still gradually increasing the bubble rate, so I'm not sure what it will look like when I decide I have it high enough. Below is a pic of it in the tank:

Old 09-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #21
esarkipato
Wannabe Guru

Nice update, thanks

29 Gallon Tank: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

Old 10-18-2006, 05:42 AM   #22
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

Nice work, Hoppy. This is something i wanna try.

Is there any reason the rio 50 wouldn't be a good choice for this? I want to limit my water movement, but not if it means inadequate churning of bubbles.
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:19 AM   #23
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

There is no need to limit water movement, that is your friend, not the enemy.
The flow out of the bottom is slow and gentle with a rio 180, which is the typical pump I suggest for this.

Note the flow is coming slowly downward out of a 2" diameter pipe, this is not much flow even in a small tank like a 10 gal etc.

You have to get the CO2 to the plants and the only way to do that is by water movement. Diffusion alone in water takes a very long time.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 10-18-2006, 12:31 PM   #24
esarkipato
Wannabe Guru

I also plan on making one of these....the parts are now drying out. My only concern is the power or lack thereof of the powerhead I plan on using. I'll try to post pics here as well.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #25
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

Good points, Tom, thanks.
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:52 PM   #26
esarkipato
Wannabe Guru

I plan on using my aqua clear power head 20 for this setup, since I've already got one. Should I insert the "return" line back to the inlet of the powerhead, or attach it to the venturi on it?

Old 10-18-2006, 06:26 PM   #27
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

The "venturi loop" tube goes to the inlet of the powerhead. I drilled a hole in the inlet screen for the powerhead and poked the tube in there. You want the CO2 that goes up the loop to go thru the powerhead rotor and be chopped up into micro bubbles.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:19 PM   #28
Aquamanx
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aquamanx

This is a Really cool post! Very inexpensive to build.. Although I wish I already had a powerhead to do this with, The only one I have is WAY too big for this! (aquaclear 802). I have been thinking of going with a DIY CO2 system for sometime now, just don't want to mess this up! Plus, I don't know how to find out what my CO2 level is in the tank. There must be some sort of test kit for this isn't there? I need as much info as I can get, plus, I would need to do this on a low-budget, as I'm in the market for a house & my girl would KILL me if she knew I was spending alot of money on "My Stupid Fish Tanks" again... LOL! (yeah, that's her talkin'... Only now one of the tanks, which happens to be the one that is planted, has HER Fish in it! LOL!)

Steve X.
Aquamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:21 PM   #29
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamanx View Post
This is a Really cool post! Very inexpensive to build.. Although I wish I already had a powerhead to do this with, The only one I have is WAY too big for this! (aquaclear 802). I have been thinking of going with a DIY CO2 system for sometime now, just don't want to mess this up! Plus, I don't know how to find out what my CO2 level is in the tank. There must be some sort of test kit for this isn't there? I need as much info as I can get, plus, I would need to do this on a low-budget, as I'm in the market for a house & my girl would KILL me if she knew I was spending alot of money on "My Stupid Fish Tanks" again... LOL! (yeah, that's her talkin'... Only now one of the tanks, which happens to be the one that is planted, has HER Fish in it! LOL!)

Steve X.
Here is a thread on another forum about a pretty cheap, but relatively very accurate way to measure the CO2 in the tank: DIY Drop Checker - Aquatic Plant Central- aquascaping...a living art

Now, about the girl friend: when you have a choice between spending all of your money on this great hobby, and maintaining a girlfriend....well.....need I say more?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:34 AM   #30
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

One should be as passionate about their hobbies as they are about their spouses at a minimum.

Regards,
Tom Barr