LFS on O'ahu with best selection of plants - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Hawaii

Old 06-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #16
bgo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

You might laugh but I think Koolau Pets may have. Best to call them, but it mighr not be called jungle val. I check them out any time I'm at the windward mall. ..just to see what they have. I got a horseface loach that I never saw before from them.
bgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #17
wabisabi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss808 View Post
I say Petland kahala. Joining the Hawaii fish society is like going to Petland. But I would join for the deals. Scott is the plant guy at Petland and society. If you want deals join society if you want selection go Petland. I am leaving Aquascapes out of this equation cause their a enormous rip off. I would not recommend giving business to them to anyone. I rather go amazon or the web for the plants before I give them any business. But that's my thoughts lol
Quote:
I'm seeing a lot of Aquascapes fans here. But honestly I am sticking with Petland. I just stopped in at Aquascapes to see what local bred fish was in stock and I stopped to check out the plants. Big selection but here's one for all the Aquascapes fan ( no offense bgo) everyone that says Aquascapes has the best selection I agree but all your plant you wanna purchase will come with bga ( blue, green algae) very bad bacteria and other algae problems.

Today I stopped in and I agree with selection but MAN! the algae and bga on those things. I here from 90% of people Aquascapes has the best! Today I was really disappointed in quality. I even asked the worker today what is all this on the plants and bottom of the tank. Reply was bacteria. I asked him bga? He said yes. Okay for all you invert lovers there is only 2 ways I know to get rid of bga and one recommendation was from bgo which worked but only killed 60% of my bga. The other way is erythromycin or marcyn. 99.9% died and my fish back to health. And this bga came from Aquascapes which almost destroyed my 15 gallon rainbow forktail, peacock goby, killifish, and pigmy Cory planted tank. I didn't buy plants from Aquascapes I got it free from a friend who had extras.

So my ut most opinion is Petland has quality and selection when available. Best part about this is Scott always accommodates to plant people. He has even ordered special plants for me as long it was available from the vendor and also I will stick with Petland always for local bred fish and other specials. Aquascapes is gonna have to be second on my list sorry people.

Wow, seems like you have a personal vendetta against Aquascapes. It's obvious you have a strong dislike of them, you posted twice trying to dis them.

You, yourself admitted that there are a lot of Aquascape fans out there. There must be a reason for all the fans? Could it be the awesome selection of rare fish they always seem to be bringing in? Could it be the excellent customer service they provide? Could it be all the awesome hardscape materials they carry? Could it be the spectacular 'scapes' that Jojo puts together that gives inspiration to the rest of us? Could it be the expertise that 20 plus years of experience in planted tanks brings? Not to mention the 'rare' plants that they stock. Did I mention all the new species of plants that Jojo has introduced to the US aquatic plant market?

True they have a 'display' tank that has BG algae in it, but the plants in that tank aren't for sale anyway. The rest of the tanks don't have BGA in them.

You said "Okay for all you invert lovers there is only 2 ways I know to get rid of bga and one recommendation was from bgo which worked but only killed 60% of my bga. The other way is erythromycin or marcyn. 99.9% died and my fish back to health. And this bga came from Aquascapes which almost destroyed my 15 gallon rainbow forktail, peacock goby, killifish, and pigmy Cory planted tank. I didn't buy plants from Aquascapes I got it free from a friend who had extras."
What does this statement have to do with invert lovers? Who's to say that you didn't get the BGA from your friends tank? You said you didn't get the plants directly from Aquascapes. There are so many things that can cause an algae bloom in your tank. If your fish were 'sick', it wasn't from the BGA. Treating the tank with erythromycin for BGA inadvertently must of treated some other problems your fish were experiencing.

Don't get me wrong, Scott at Petland is a cool dude and Petland has a nice selection of plants from time to time. Funny thing is, I used to always see Scott cruising in Aquascapes! Scott must know something you don't......

Last edited by wabisabi; 06-10-2013 at 02:07 AM.. Reason: spellling
wabisabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #18
daboss808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wasibasi,

Don't get me wrong it not a personal vendetta against jojo or his wife. I know personal things about the Aquascapes that a lot don't. Why? Jojo nephew and niece are my good friends.

Customer service? Ha jojo most times talks down on customers unless he sees you there a lot. Ally of people I deal with complains about him. His wife and some of his employees have great customer service.

Rare plants introduced? You should talk to Scott why he don't order plants from certain vendor and bring them in. Maybe you understand a little more why Petland and some other petstores dont wanna carry your so called jojo introduced plants. I am not trying to start a battle with you but I think you should really look into your petstores I little more.

Hawaii now is on a big restriction for importing and exporting aquatic animal and plants. There are many loop holes that will end having many small businesses shut down due to the risk they take. Petland doesn't, Kalihi pets doesn't, and so on.

Let me clarify why I don't but 90% of Aquascapes stock.

1. Prices are way too expensive for any novice or beginning Aquascaper. Why? Who has that kind of money unless you have a stable job or great paying job.

2. This is a hobby. You can get the same quality equipment at Kalihi, coral reef, amazon, etc. For a lesser price. Jojo has a shoe hobby that he loves, and he displays more than he stocks. So where do you think the money goes to his bills? Yeah his hobby bills. There is no msrp on fish supplies so it not against the law and I respect that. Everyone has the vice. There are a lot of things at Aquascapes that a lot of people don't carry but here a kicker just Ada ammazonian was almost 70 for 9l and coral reef just had it for $55 wow big difference ah?

3. Jojo has great scales but Scott does 100 times better than Aquascapes. More full of life and more color. Philip is just as good and I haven't seen in my history of going to Petland one case of bga blow out!

4. Experience? If it wasn't for Kalihi pets jojo wouldn't be where he is now. That's what's wrong with people now a days. When they get somewhere they forget where they came from.

Well here my final say in this Aquascapes has a good selection. If your a advance Aquascaper and know what your doing. Aquascapes is not for the beginners. Plain and simple. If you ain't got money forget it. There people on Fh trying to sell there driftwood and rocks and still have it. Why what you paid for is hard to get rid of once your out of the hobby and give up. I Been in this hobby on and off since I was in elementary. I have over 20 years experience and still am learning
daboss808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #19
daboss808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One more thig bga is a bacteria..... Look it up all algaes are. Bga is one of the worse. Bga can cause a bacteria infection on fish..... Hmmm braddah you really need to look into your fact and ask question before jumping to conclusions. fact is I upkeep my tanks on a daily basis. So Antoine of infection or sickness is rare unless I just bought the fish. My tank that had bga ALL fish were healthy and breeding for over 6 months now.

Have a great day
Old 06-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #20
wabisabi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)

Quote:
Wasibasi,

Don't get me wrong it not a personal vendetta against jojo or his wife. I know personal things about the Aquascapes that a lot don't. Why? Jojo nephew and niece are my good friends.

Customer service? Ha jojo most times talks down on customers unless he sees you there a lot. Ally of people I deal with complains about him. His wife and some of his employees have great customer service.
The only time I've seen him talk down to someone was when that person deserved it. People who come into the store with a 'chip on their shoulder' or a 'know it all' attitude, or not being respectful. Who wouldn't talk down to someone like that? I would. In all other situations he's always very professional and courteous.

Quote:
Rare plants introduced? You should talk to Scott why he don't order plants from certain vendor and bring them in. Maybe you understand a little more why Petland and some other petstores dont wanna carry your so called jojo introduced plants. I am not trying to start a battle with you but I think you should really look into your petstores I little more.
Dude, they don't bring in those plants because they can't. These are not plants that are farmed by nurseries. They are not available on a 'plant list' that a wholesaler provides. Believe me, if they had the opportunity to bring in these plants, they would.

Quote:
Let me clarify why I don't but 90% of Aquascapes stock.

1. Prices are way too expensive for any novice or beginning Aquascaper. Why? Who has that kind of money unless you have a stable job or great paying job.
Huh? Are we all children that don't have jobs? Maybe some of us are.....

Quote:
2. This is a hobby. You can get the same quality equipment at Kalihi, coral reef, amazon, etc. For a lesser price. Jojo has a shoe hobby that he loves, and he displays more than he stocks. So where do you think the money goes to his bills? Yeah his hobby bills. There is no msrp on fish supplies so it not against the law and I respect that. Everyone has the vice. There are a lot of things at Aquascapes that a lot of people don't carry but here a kicker just Ada ammazonian was almost 70 for 9l and coral reef just had it for $55 wow big difference ah?
Who cares where Jojo spends his money? What the heck does that have to do with anything? Sure you can get things cheaper at other places. But that's not what people are saying you should go to Aquascapes for anyways. Their niche is in the quality fish and plant selection as well as hardscape variety. Sure they charge more for it, but you can't get those things easily elsewhere.

Quote:
3. Jojo has great scales but Scott does 100 times better than Aquascapes. More full of life and more color. Philip is just as good and I haven't seen in my history of going to Petland one case of bga blow out!
That's great, Im sure Scott has some kick a$$ scapes, never said he didn't. Only that Jojo has some awesome ones too. About that BGA, sure you don't see it at Petland, I'm sure Philip takes care of it right away before it gets out of hand, if it decides to show up. I thought you're "good friends" with Jojo's niece and nephew? Then you should surely know why Jojo decided on letting the tank 'go' and not treating the BGA? I guess you're not THAT close?

Quote:
4. Experience? If it wasn't for Kalihi pets jojo wouldn't be where he is now. That's what's wrong with people now a days. When they get somewhere they forget where they came from.
So what's the point? Yes Jojo gained experience at Kalihi pets. Who said he forgot where he came from? Nobody is dissing Kalihi pets or any other petstore except you.

Quote:
Well here my final say in this Aquascapes has a good selection. If your a advance Aquascaper and know what your doing. Aquascapes is not for the beginners. Plain and simple. If you ain't got money forget it. There people on Fh trying to sell there driftwood and rocks and still have it. Why what you paid for is hard to get rid of once your out of the hobby and give up. I Been in this hobby on and off since I was in elementary. I have over 20 years experience and still am learning
Why your change in attitude now, in your post above you said "I would not recommend giving business to them to anyone."? Why can't a beginner go to Aquascapes? Maybe if they went to Aquascapes and got the correct information (instead of misinformation that seems to be running rampant around these parts) and the correct tools to be successful, then they wouldn't be getting frustrated and leaving the hobby?

Quote:
One more thig bga is a bacteria..... Look it up all algaes are. Bga is one of the worse. Bga can cause a bacteria infection on fish..... Hmmm braddah you really need to look into your fact and ask question before jumping to conclusions. fact is I upkeep my tanks on a daily basis. So Antoine of infection or sickness is rare unless I just bought the fish. My tank that had bga ALL fish were healthy and breeding for over 6 months now.

Have a great day
Are you for real?

Yes, BGA is a bacteria, a cyanobacteria to be more precise.

NO, all algae is NOT bacteria. That is misinformation. If all algae is bacteria then we could all just dose some antibiotics in the tank and have algae free aquariums! That would be great! BGA can infect your tank water, but not your fish. Some types of BGA can produce toxins that are released into the water that could potentially harm the fauna in the tank, but the BGA is NOT infecting the actual fish. Where did I jump to a conclusion? If I jumped to a conclusion that your fish was sick it was only because of the way you structured your sentence.
Quote:
The other way is erythromycin or marcyn. 99.9% died and my fish back to health.
You alluded to the fact that your fish was 'back to health' which lead me to believe they were sick?

Please stop spreading misinformation. It's really doing an injustice to the hobby.
wabisabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
manini
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (61/100%)

I think this has gone way too far. LOL!

This is a hobby an by all means everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I think when one says they know my family, please justify whom this person is. There has been so many people stating that I am their uncle (calling by respect) and yet so many I am not related too. I do know whom you are talking about and by all means we are not blood related.

Rare plants? I only bring in plants that get phytosanitary papers. Cant blame me for being able to obtain these rare jewels because I have contacts all over Asia. Please ask Scott where he get his 'rare plants' from. Lol. Remember Scott works for Petland. He does not have a choice who he can bring plants from. He has possibly 3-4 list that he is allowed to order from and the difference is that I can choose whomever I want to deal with anywhere.

My private life is my private life. No one should judge what I do as a hobby or my lifestyle. This is a personal attack. Why is it in any way your business what I do with my personal income. If you have any issues how I spend my money you can tell me personally.

Here is the kicker....All of your ADA products that you see here on the market was cleared thru the department of Agriculture via Aquascapes. Without Aquascapes cooperation and countless messaging with ADA, it would not be here legally. You didn't know about that one I bet! Yes, I did all of the paperwork to get them passed into hawaii.

If someone is talking about where I came from, please know my background before you judge.Yes, I've been with Kalihi Pet Center for many years. I was the one who started all of the planted tanks and influncenced/reacheared/ordered all of the plants and fishes when I worked there. I still have a great relationship with them and visit almost 3-4x's a month. I know where I started and never forgot about that.

About BGA, If you knew what it was, why ask me? Yes, that was me who answered you. Also, why ask me how to treat it if you already know how to treat the bacteria. Like you said on your post, you never purchased the plant from me so why blame me about the issue. BGA was in my display tank. None were in my tank that was for sale.

I DO NOT claim by all means that I have the best scapes on the island nor claim that I know everything about the planted tank, plants and fishes. As far as scapes....they are all opinions! I am a good friend of Scott and Philip and I will never comment on whos scapes is better. Friends will never throw friends under the table just to look good. Very childish. Like I tell all of my customers, 'If you think your scape looks awesome, that all that matters. Who am I to tell you what to do.'I will never compare my scapes to anyone else. Only person that I care who judges my scape is my sensei, 'Takashi Amano'. Yes I've trained under him 2 separate sessions while in Japan during my visits and completed both of his classes. Dont know even why I brought it up. LOL! Dont know even why I have to justify myself.

There are so many other things that you do not know about me so please do not judge on what you do not know.

There are so many options out there that everyone can choose from and each store has its own special niche. Its the same with layout styles and methods used to create these beautiful aquascapes.

The bottom line is this. We all enjoy this hobby. Lets keep it enjoyable.
manini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #22
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

So where can I jungle val from? Lol everyone forgot about thw orginal question and why I started this thread.
fishkeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #23
daboss808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You know wat

First off I wanna apologies to fishkeeper. This is his thread and we are invading him. Check out Petland their new shipment came in. Put it on reserve before it's gone.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #24
daboss808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Manini aka jojo is right it has gone too far. My apologies to all for all the BS that was put on the thread.

This is fishkeepers thread so my apologies to all let just start fresh and move on with our own happy homes
Old 06-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #25
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Petland is currently all out
Old 06-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #26
stewbone
Algae Grower

Call moanalua pets, they had some today I think
stewbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:11 AM   #27
bgo
Algae Grower

Koolau pets has 6 or so st 2.49 ea.. They moving next door so not sure where theyll be tomw.
bgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #28
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Does anyone know of someone in hawaii who does or is selling cuz I dont like moanalua pets cuz its dirty and koolau is to far.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #29
Charrr89
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Moanalua isn't as bad as it seems. Once you get past the way their shop looks they really have great stuff. And they had another location in ward. Stanley and his crew are awesome. I visit them every week.

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #30
Charrr89
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Btw!! Jungle Val is available in pets plus. They had alot when I last went

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote