LFS on O'ahu with best selection of plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Hawaii

Old 06-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

LFS on O'ahu with best selection of plants

Howzit everyone, I just wanted to hear what pet stores on O'ahu have the best selection of plants.
fishkeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
milesm
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

petland in kahala has a good selection from time to time. don't know what happened to kalihi pets, seems they stopped bringing in the more desirable species. that ada store (aka aquascapes) in aiea is overpriced, but they do have a good selection, especially of the more exotic plants (erio's, dau noi, etc).
milesm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Basically it's the same info the scene hasn't really changed. You can also join the Honolulu Aquarium Society. They have an auction once a month and you can get some common starter plants at sometimes a cheaper price. The next meeting is this friday 6/7 at the Kuhio elementary school.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...&highlight=lfs
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
Quifish
Algae Grower

Went to Petland in Kahala today. They have java moss back in stock, as well as moss balls, pellia and mini pellia.
There were a ton of least two different kinds of anubias and java fern, Vals, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember.

The selection of high light plants looked a little more bare than normal, but that's a good thing, as it means their stock doesn't sit around forever. If you don't see what you want, ask the staff for it, and keep on checking. It will turn up eventually. But grab it if you do see it because it will not be there for long. The high light stuff seems to go the fastest. They had some pretty red plants in the highlight tank, as well as HC.

It would be cool if someone would post updates on here when they get a new shipment!

There's also a sale on aquaclears.
Quifish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Ka'aina
Algae Grower

They just got the order form so Scott said that after the order is placed it should be it mid to late next month...
Ka'aina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Quifish
Algae Grower

Yea! Seachem Florish is on sale too, but only the 100 ml bottle.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
daboss808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I say Petland kahala. Joining the Hawaii fish society is like going to Petland. But I would join for the deals. Scott is the plant guy at Petland and society. If you want deals join society if you want selection go Petland. I am leaving Aquascapes out of this equation cause their a enormous rip off. I would not recommend giving business to them to anyone. I rather go amazon or the web for the plants before I give them any business. But that's my thoughts lol
daboss808 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
Charrr89
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Scott! He went to school for plants I believe. He's the nicest one of all of them their at pet land. I loooooove aqua scapes but its too far from home.

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How much jungle val did they hav?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
bgo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I like to check out all of the local fishstores once in a while. My alltime fav is Aquascapes with Petland second. Pets Plus third. All depends on what I'm looking for at the time. If I have the itch to get something new (fish or plant), I usually find something at Aquascapes. Petland is iffy and you pretty much need to there soon after they get their shipment.

Pricewise, its buyer beware. Aquascapes has plants and fish that no other store carries in stock. I will knowingly pay a higher price for something that I know will survive the transition to my tanks. Support of the fish or plant is also important - talking to the correct salesperson is key at any store. Support after the sale is important too. If I'm looking for regular stuff, Pets Plus or Moanalua Pets is my first stop.

Coral Fish has a good fish selection that has the less common stuff. Their plant selection is small, but they sometimes have unusual stuff. I go there if I have time after Aquascapes.

To just hang out and "talk story", Aquascapes is a gathering place for other experts in the hobby.
bgo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #11
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Has anyone been to kahala pet land lately? I would really like to know how much they have. Id also buy from anyone, pm if interested.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
Quifish
Algae Grower

I really like how patient and informative Jojo and his staff is with newbies at Aquascapes. He spent over an hour with me explaining things and it all was in line with what people debate about here. I like to try to spread the love to different pet stores and not just buy everything from one. They all have their different specialty too. (And I don't seem quite so crazy.)
Old 06-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
dickfin

I think Aquascapes. They have a greater selection of plants than the other stores and they take care of their stock. They don't just throw their plants into any old tank to hold it until it is bought. The prices at Aquascapes are higher, however, you will not find folks more knowledgeable anywhere else. With them, you are not just buying plants, but also service (if you want it) in the form of expertise, as they don't sell things that they don't know about. Sometimes when you want the better stuff, it's gonna cost more.
dickfin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
daboss808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm seeing a lot of Aquascapes fans here. But honestly I am sticking with Petland. I just stopped in at Aquascapes to see what local bred fish was in stock and I stopped to check out the plants. Big selection but here's one for all the Aquascapes fan ( no offense bgo) everyone that says Aquascapes has the best selection I agree but all your plant you wanna purchase will come with bga ( blue, green algae) very bad bacteria and other algae problems.

Today I stopped in and I agree with selection but MAN! the algae and bga on those things. I here from 90% of people Aquascapes has the best! Today I was really disappointed in quality. I even asked the worker today what is all this on the plants and bottom of the tank. Reply was bacteria. I asked him bga? He said yes. Okay for all you invert lovers there is only 2 ways I know to get rid of bga and one recommendation was from bgo which worked but only killed 60% of my bga. The other way is erythromycin or marcyn. 99.9% died and my fish back to health. And this bga came from Aquascapes which almost destroyed my 15 gallon rainbow forktail, peacock goby, killifish, and pigmy Cory planted tank. I didn't buy plants from Aquascapes I got it free from a friend who had extras.

So my ut most opinion is Petland has quality and selection when available. Best part about this is Scott always accommodates to plant people. He has even ordered special plants for me as long it was available from the vendor and also I will stick with Petland always for local bred fish and other specials. Aquascapes is gonna have to be second on my list sorry people.
daboss808 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #15
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So does any pet stores here carry jungle val?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.