Diy food for shrimp and tropical fish???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (40/100%)
Lightbulb

Diy food for shrimp and tropical fish???

Hey guys, I recently got some food for my shrimp from a couple member on here, and they love it! I understand that you have to have to have some special equipment to make your own pellets/ break apart brick type food, is this true?i want to make my own fish/ invert food, as it is healthier and more variety than store bought food. Bt I don't want to have to spend alot of money on equipment, as it is diy, and I am currently out of a job. Anyways, what would you guys suggest as methods to make dry sinking food? And some recipes to supplement vitamins and minerals that are essential to tropical community fish as well as omnivore shrimps, thank you all!

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I made some DIY home food for my shrimps and fish recently. It turned out ok, I'm definitely no expert fish chef or anything. Here's what I did....

I ordered some spiralina powder online, got 1oz for about $4 on aquabid, with free shipping. I only used about 1/8th of it in this first batch. I also added zucchini, carrots, spinach, and some dried bloodworms and daphinia mix bought at petsmart. I put all this in a blender and mixed it up real good. Way longer than you think you should, I wanted to make sure everything was chopped up good. Then I poured this puree into a baking pan, and popped it in my toaster oven, which has a dehydrate setting. It took about 2 hours of "dehydrating", which is mainly just baking it at a low temp with a fan blowing on the inside. Once it was done, I just broke it all into little pieces like crumbles. I put in a Ziploc bag and add some to both my tanks occasionaly along with other different foods I use. All my fish and shrimp seem to like it, (neon tetras, glowlight tetras, ghost shrimp, cherry shrimp).

Somewhatshocked is the master chef around here, his stuff is highly recommended by others, so I may try some of his stuff next. For the work I put in, and the so-so product I produced, it may just be easier to leave it to the masters like Somewhatshocked. He sells his stuff in the swap-n-shop section for very reasonable prices, mostly organic, very healthy stuff. Plus he is also a shrimp master so he knows if they like it, or what is good for them, etc. He's probably reading this, so we will see what he says.

Last edited by Dolfan; 06-06-2013 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: typo fix
Dolfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

I got some food from somewhat shocked. My fish and shrimp loved it that why I was going to try and make my own. Haha but, I think it is going to be harder than alot of people actually make it seem. I like you idea and recipe though, it's getting the gears in my head turning haha. Also his red shrimp powder, I added it a few days ago, and I swear by his product. Amazing how it brings the reds out, almost looked like my rcs were glowing haha. I might try your recipe, but in my oven, thank you!

Old 06-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was thinking of getting some of this from kensfish.com.....

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...in-powder.html

Astaxanthin powder is supposed to also help with red coloring. I wonder if that is what is in somewhats red powder. I was hoping to be able to sell off some of my PFR offspring eventually when the colony gets bigger. Had a few deaths this week, so I'm trying to figure that out first. But having a brighter red shrimp would definitely be good.

How do you use that powder that you got, do you just sprinkle some in the tank? Do you dust some food with it? I figured that the filter and water movement would lose most of the powder before it could be eaten.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

It's not something they eat I don't think, I'm not sure, but you put some on the end of a tooth pick no more than that and put it in the tank, I don't use carbon or anything in my shrimp tank, only a sponge prefilter, course sponge in filter and bio balls and bio the white ones, the plants do the other filtering. And of course the ial. I would defiantly recommend somewhats products, and just from the little I bought and how well my shrimp are doing and love it, I will again swear by it! I guess everyone is right leave the food making to the pros, shout out somewhatshocked

Old 06-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (439/100%)

I appreciate the kind words, truly, but I honestly find the easiest shrimp food to be the following: spinach, kale, zucchini, stinging nettle, a crushed snail every couple weeks, leaf litter, a blood worm every once in a while.

If you can't grow your own, a bag of organic spinach would last months and months if frozen. It's especially great for those on a tight budget.

And when it comes to fish food, it's such a gross process that I'd rather pay $8 - $10 for a container of food than make it. Depending upon the species, feeding a nice flake or pellet (or Repashy - terrific stuff) mixed with the occasional frozen food is probably all you'll ever need.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Somewhat, how does your "red powder" work? Is it food that the shrimp find and consume? Or is it like a chemical that does something to the water that benefits red colors?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

I'm curious to dolfan. All I know is it works and soon I will be buying some. What I have will last forever though haha

Old 06-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (439/100%)

Sorry, folks, didn't see that this thread was updated. Always feel free to private message me if I'm not responding. Have hundreds of threads to go through every day.

It's a supplement/food that they consume, no astaxanthin.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

No problem somewhat, I know that you would eventually find it

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 06-07-2013 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: can't do vendor reviews - not even positive ones
Old 06-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #11
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Haha, but how would you mix all them ingredients together and get it to dry without any industrial tools?

Old 06-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

I put everything in a blender and chopped it all up, even going for longer than I thought needed, just to be sure everything was chopped up. Then I spread the puree on a backing sheet and put in my toaster oven on the dehydrate setting. It basically just is low heat with the fan running on the inside to blow air around. I did this for a while till it hardened then broke everything into little small crumbles then put back for some extra dehydrating just to be sure there was no moisture left in it. Put the stuff in Ziploc and good to go. It sinks and all my fish and shrimp seem to like it.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

I don't have a toaster oven with a fan though, would the oven do the same job? Just at a very low heat, and for how long? Do you add any type of calcium or other vitamins to
The mix?

Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #14
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

The oven on a really low setting would probably work. I don't add any supplements. I would think the veggies would have enough of the good stuff in them, such as zucchini and spinach being high in calcium.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:23 AM   #15
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

I was thinking the same thing, but then I was figuring that maybe baking at a low heat would cook some of the vitamins out, and boiling the veggies would do the same. Right?

Tags
diy, fish, food, shrimp, supplements

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.