My turtle and her faithful companion
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 06-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

My turtle and her faithful companion

Thought you might enjoy this

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Kirbybtf is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Acro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Cool picture!

I would like to know more about your setup. (What kind of turtle, what kind of shrimp (pets or feeders?), size of tank, planted?, what algae that is growing on your turtle (it looks cool!), and more).
Have more pictures?

Acro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

The tank is a 60 gallon cichlid tank/monster fish grow out tank. Housing a jack Dempsey 3", Senegal bichir 4", brown knife 4", bumble bee cichlid 4", red zebra cichlid 2", yellow lab cichlid 2", and a large 7" Pictus catfish. The ghost shrimp are feeders, these fatties go through about 100 a week! The turtles name is biggie smalls, and the catfish is named Tupac, my wife named them lol. I also have a guppy in another tank named lady Gaga but that's another story. The turtle is a map turtle and she's about a year old. I tried to plant the tank back in the day but my cichlids are jerks and kept ripping them up lol. The algae... I have no idea what it is! But it looks awesome, my cichlids regularly graze on her shell which just promotes growth more! And funny enough, the cichlids try really hard to play with the turtle, but she is far too oblivious. My wife found her sitting on top of an extremely unhappy catfish last night haha. My next post will be pictures

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

That is a lot of algae on its carapace. Does the turtle have a basking site?

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Re: My turtle and her faithful companion

There's food under there!

This is Tupac

Fairly simple tank, both lights are for our turtle. One is UV and the other is the heat lamp right near her docking station. Hence the yellow coloration of the tank. It's not gorgeous but that's ok. Two caves made of locally collected river rock, and Tupac has claimed both of them. Power heads of the left and right for heavy flow, the cichlids love playing in the current! Three filters on the tank to accommodate the HEAVY bioload from these guys. Equaling approximately 1000 gph of filtration, at a rate of 17 turnovers per hour. Keeps the water pristine the turtle and all the fish get along great. They have grown up together since they were all tiny! (except Tupac who is a recent addition) Never a single issue with aggression or fin nipping.

Believe it or not, she does this frequently. I thought she was stuck the first time, so I removed her and placed her back on her dock. She promptly dove back in and wedged herself between the heater and the glass. The tank is kept at 80-82 so I know she isn't cold. She's just very smart!

I will add more pictures when I get home of all the rest of the fish. Hope you enjoyed the show!

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Your turtle is looking for "cover"
You would do well to add some floating plants.
If the turtle feels exposed it will stress it out.
Because turtles have slow metabolism, ifit becomes ill, it will not show any sign of illness for at least 6 months. Also if this is a RES and less than a year old, feed live food. If older they are primarily plant eaters but will nosh on an opportunity.
HTH. I kept turtles for somewhere around 30 years

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's a map turtle, I recently re arranged the tank. There was plenty of cover before and she never showed any interest in it. I think I know the picture your referring to. There was infact a large piece of algae wager she was trying her hardest to get to under there. I feed her ghost shrimp, cichlid pellets because they have vitamin D (I think that's what it was) and daily cucumber.

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase