HybridHerp's 10 gallon (Post Sandy Edition) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I honestly don't even remember...
A few days at least, a week or two at most...managed to survive enough though during 2 weeks of no light with sandy I guess...jeez

Old 08-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

I'm debating and I want an opinion on this.

I have some Ludwigia sp. 'Red' coming to me in a few days, and I am unsure where to put it. I could keep it in the 5.5 again like I used to, but part of me feels that it might be a good plant to use in this tank....where Atlantis is.

I'm thinking of removing the atlantis in here, and keeping atlantis solely in my 75 gallon.

Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #18
sjb1987
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (107/100%)

Id remove the atlantis and throw some ludwigia sp red in..you need some easy color in there... I sent some extras stuff with your package so youll have some stuff to play with... I wish I would have seen you were looking for some r. Indica I would have threw a few in there too
Old 08-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #19
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb1987 View Post
Id remove the atlantis and throw some ludwigia sp red in..you need some easy color in there... I sent some extras stuff with your package so youll have some stuff to play with... I wish I would have seen you were looking for some r. Indica I would have threw a few in there too
Lol, alright, sounds like a plan. Did you label the extras?

Also, I was looking for indica?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
sjb1987
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (107/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
Lol, alright, sounds like a plan. Did you label the extras?

Also, I was looking for indica?
True rotala indica (ammania sp bonsai)

No but when you get them ill let you know what they are... I think I put them in separate baggies
Old 08-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #21
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Okay, and I got my hands on that plant already, just decided to use it in my 5.5 instead.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #22
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

So I was feeding this tank today and OH MY GOD, I didn't realize just how many ramshorn and MTS snails are in this tank lol (hint, its a lot)

Also, I'm getting annoyed at guppy keeping. Endlers are doing just fine in my 5.5 but regular guppies don't do very well for me in this tank. I have no idea why. However, there are some guppy babies in this tank now that seem to be left alone by the other fish and aren't doing badly at all, so we'll see.

If at some point all the guppies die on me, I'm just going to maybe try a different sort of fish in its stead, because this has been a problem for me for years. Ugh

Also, no pics because the tank is in terrible need of a trim job.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #23
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

No pics, but this tank is now 90% crypt wenditii. I kind of don't like that look, as it shades everything else a heck of a lot and is hard to trim, so I'm thinking about doing a re-scape, using a smaller growing crypt species (petchii maybe) and doing new stems, making a real nice scape and all in the process.

Honey gouramis are no more though . I'll get something to replace them, and also add some sort of neocaridinia and maybe pymgy cories or something similar to this tank. Might have some nice guppies as well, or just throw endlers from my 5.5 in here, as they have been breeding.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #24
TheRiverRat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

i had guppies in a tiger salamander tank once (when the salamander was in the aquatic stage) they absolutely flourished in the dirty stagnant water, best i have ever seen them do lol.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #25
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Guess who did a re-scape? This guy, that's who. Started the process shortly after christmas.

My main goal was to do a lot of colorful, moderately fast growing plants, with my java fern kinda swaying to the side and arching over. That plant has been through hell and back for me so I figured I'd make it pretty prominent in the tank. Also, just couldn't resist the look.

I also wanted to not deal with wendtii in a dirted high tech tank anymore. It took over and became a hassle. I re-did the substrate in order to remove the plant...

Which meant that I managed to find and salvage over 250 trumpet snails while re-scaping....Damn, thats a lot of snails.

And here's the tank as it is now. I want to add a few things, mostly UG for a carpet, and maybe another stem or two and some blyxa in the back right corner, but I'm pretty happy with how this is looking.

The specs:
Current Fish/Inverts
• Poecilia reticulata – “Guppy” 0:1
• Hyphessobrycon amandae – “Ember Tetra” x2
• Trigonostigma espei – “Lambchop Rasbora” x5
• Otocinclus cocama – “Zebra Otto” x2
• Caridinia japonica – “Amano Shrimp” x2
• Neocaridina heterotopia var. “”
• Cambarellus shufeldtii – “Cajun Dwarf Cray” x2
• Neritina natalensis – “Tire Track Nerite” x1
• Planorbis rubrum – “Ramshorn Snail” x#
• Physa sp. – “Pond Snail” x#
• Melanoides tuberculata - “Trumpet Snail” x#

Plants
• Current
o Foreground
• Echinodorus parviflorus – “Tropica Sword”
Front right
• Lobelia Cardinalis var. 'Dwarf'
In front of L. sp. ‘Red’
• Pogostemon helferi
In front of wood
o Mid-ground
• Rotala mexicana var. ‘Araguaia’
Left of C. becketii petchii
• Cryptocoryne becketii petchii
Off-center
• Ludwigia sp. ‘Red’
Off-center
• Ammania sp. ‘Bonsai’
Left side of M. pteropus
o Background
• Lagarosiphon madagascariensis
Back middle
• Alternanthera reineckii var. 'Mini'
Back middle
o Non-Substrate
• Hardscape
Microsorum pteropus – “Java Fern”
• Back left
Anubias barteri var. ‘Petite’
• In front of M. pteropus
Fissidens splachnobryoides – “Mini Fissidens”
• On yellow spongy rock

Filtration
• Marineland Penguin 100 x2
Heater
• None
o Use heater from quarantine tank if dire emergency
Lighting
• Ray2 Ultra Slim 24” DS
Other
• Substrate
o Dirt with Black Sand cap
• Hardscape
o Rocks
• Yellow and Spongy
• Red and Brown
o Driftwood
• One main piece
Smaller ones surrounding it
o Fertilizers
• PPS-Pro
• Carbon Dioxide
o Dual Stage Regulator on 20lb tank
• Atomic Diffuser
Replace with an atomic diffuser eventually
• GLA Atomic Check Valve x2
• Drop Checker Color: Green
• Bubble Counter: 6 per second
Filled with Mineral Oil

The downi will look nice once it fills in, as will the Bonsai. I'm not sure how much bonsai I want to let be in the area though, as I want enough room to balance that and the UG I want. I'm also thinking about doing some flame moss in-between the fern and the anubias on the wood.

sbj1987 hooked me up with a ton of nice stems. This is Rotala mexicana 'Araguia', can't wait till it settles in for me, its really pretty.

And who doesn't love Ludwigia Red?

And of course, I love me some amano shrimp and dwarf sword.

MonsterFish gave me some Lagarosiphon madagascariensis to play with. Not sure how it will do for me (I almost think the amano shrimp might have picked some leafs off) and not sure if I want it here, or in that hole in the wood. Its a pretty plant though, and I'll be sure to make some sort of use of it in either this tank or my 75.

My one oddball shrimp that popped out from my fire reds in my 5.5. Its brown with dark blue sides...I think its cool but we will see what happens. It had eggs when I moved it and those eggs hatched in this tank so I'm curious to see what will come of that.

Mini reneckii below ember tetras. I need more of the tetras, but I'll focus on fish more after I get the plants in order.

Espie are doing well...I might want a few more of them though, idk

I am loving these zebra ottos

In the spring I'll be grabbing more plants for my tanks, and seeing what I want to fit where. I was thinking about doing Mini Myro in place of that madagscar plant and moving the madagascar up front or into another tank, and also considering Muridania sp. Red in the hole in the driftwood depending on how big the leaf size is.

And as this grows I'll try and update at least one every 2 months if not once a month :P And definitely as soon as possible after any significant changes.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #26
The Plantman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I like this one a lot as well. Very nice!
The Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 03:50 AM   #27
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

So this tank needed a nice trimming when I came back home to it. Thinking about other fish to add to it, thinking about pygmy cories or rosy loaches for the bottom…waiting on the shrimp population to slowly increase and for the Japan Blue Endlers to start popping babies as well.

This Madagascar plant is doing pretty well, it’s a bit of a weed though. Pretty soon I’ll be cutting it so that I only keep the tops since it grows so fast and does seem to like branching. I hear this stuff is fragile shipping wise though, and that’s a shame since its so nice. I might try the extras in a soon to be started project…or see what they do in my 75 (seems like a bad idea though)

Amano close up

Sparkling gourami close up

Japan Blue

Ember Tetra

Espie Rasbora hate the camera it seems

I heard mini Myrio is hard, its doing okay for me. Looks a little bleh though but I’ll give it more time to fill in. Its growing though so I’m not worried.

Overall, I’m happy with this tank, but I think I’ll start dosing PPS Pro liquid stuff from Nilcog soon as I saw some pinholes in the older leafs before I started trimming. I also have a few more plants I need more of, such as the Rotala indica, Rotala Butterfly, Rotala Pearl, UG, and the Limnophilia vietnam that I’m trying to grow out for my 75.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.