Brick in a PT
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 06-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
NaturalLaw

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb

Brick in a PT

I'm looking for an economical solution for the way I want my tank scaped. It's 4ft x 4ft x 2ft high. I want to create shelves that rise like steps from the front to the back and I was considering using bricks.

Is there any obvious reason a clay brick would be bad for a PT?
NaturalLaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
wastewater
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

I've used red bricks in a few of my tanks to create shelves and walls. I also use them to attach very large rhizome plants and cover them with different types of moss. Bricks are easy to work with because of their uniform shape. Clay bricks should be fairly inert (much like terracotta). The only drawback I can think of would be the amount of water they can displace inside a tank.
wastewater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
thelub

PTrader: (12/100%)

Egg crate and PVC is an option depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Bricks add a lot of weight, but they will work. I've used concrete pavers before for similar uses. It might add to your TDS or hardness due to mineral leeching so you may want to keep an eye on that if you have shrimp or other mineral sensitive critters in the tank.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I can't think of what would cause problems, I believe they are just fired clay.

Just make sure you get the actual clay bricks, and not the concrete/cinder ones.

Also, a bag of lava rocks is pretty cheap, and won't weigh anywhere near as much for the same volume. Would be harder to do a stepped/terraced sorta design, though.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
NaturalLaw

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the replies!
Weight isn't an issue as it used to have 180lbs of live rock, the brick should actually be lighter!

I'm told there are some nasty bricks out there made with chemical but these are supposed to be a straight up fired clay.

THanks Again!
NaturalLaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aquascape, brick, bricks, mortar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.