Need Well-Rooted, Super-Low Light Plant(s).....56K Warning!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 09-07-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
Naja002
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)

Need Well-Rooted, Super-Low Light Plant(s).....56K Warning!

Hi Everybody,

Attached are Some pix of my Newest Acquisition--Acrochordous javanicus. Its food is Feeder Goldfish--Generally Comets. Of course, they eat Plants. So, I am searching for one or more Good Low-Light to Super Low-Light plants that I can use in the setup below. The snake is irrelevent, so please don't be intimidated in responding because of that. It seems that whenever I inquire about something for my Chinese watersnake tank--Folks are leary about responding. Don't Be! Just looking for some "Planted tank" guidance here--and I'll make all the final calls anyway.

I need something that is Low to Super Low light, Well Rooted and somewhat Goldfish resistant--at least short-term. I am wondering if there are any "Grasses" that would do well in this setup. I have Eleocharis parvula, which is growing slowly and just now (2+ months later) starting to take off in a high light nano, and I have E. tennellus which I think would have trouble staying rooted--and doesn't do very well for me in really low-light. Vals are pretty much out---they get too tall and I need something that will require minimum trimming/interference with the tank.

I have a ton of Anubias, about 11 different varieties, but I am wondering how well they would withstand the periodic activity in the tank.

The tank is a 40g Breeder--36" x 18" x ~12"H. 84-86F. Light is sunlight through a "cracked" Blind and (currently) 2 x 20w SCF in spot-type shop lights. No C02/Excel. Flourite. xP1. Air pump and Airstone. There is currently duckweed (hoping the Comets will eat it) and floating Corkbark (which is permanent).

I just added 1 Leopard Sword and 4 small Compacta Swords with seachem Tabs (from another super-low-light setup), so I will see how they do. Once settled in, they should be well-rooted and "Flexible".

Any other ideas?

Pix below are at night with lights out, but ambient lights and Flash on, and the smear of duckweed is caused by a lower water level while drip-acclimating some Food (fish).

TIA

Old 09-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
MiSo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

i've found the plant bulbs from walmart to be pretty hardy and when fully grown develop pretty good roots. they cost about $3-4 for a packet... usually a 3-5 bulbs with a pretty good success rate. (not all will develop)
Eheim Pimp Club #190
MiSo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

I would consider Java Fern... attach them to rocks/wood, possibly grow them out in a different tank (more light) then move them. Very simple aquascaping...
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
JenThePlantGeek
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek

For a nice tight fit, I've taken java fern and staple gunned it to driftwood. You don't want the staple to crush the rhyzome, so do one or two test runs to see how far they are driven in. I've also used a pencil to stop the staple, and then slipped the rhyzome under and gentle tapped it down tight with a hammer. They will be on there very solid and the staples rust - you'll never know they were there! I've done this for years with no adverse affects on water quality. A staple or dozen won't hurt.
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
JenThePlantGeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
esarkipato
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Send a message via MSN to esarkipato

How do you feel about crypts in this setup?

29 Gallon Tank: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

MY RENA FILSTAR XP3 PIMPS ME! (#67)
esarkipato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2006, 11:08 PM   #6
Martin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Martin

that's a big snake... isnt it too big for that tank size?
_
tsp KNO3 3x week
tsp KH2PO4 3x week
tsp K2SO4 1x week
20ml CSM+B 3x week
50% W/c
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2006, 12:14 AM   #7
Naja002
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)

Thanx for the info--there's some good thoughts here.

Quote:
that's a big snake... isnt it too big for that tank size?
No, not at all. They spend a lot of their time curled up in their hidebox and then just come partially out for air. When they get hungry they will start to cruise around some at night.

Quote:
I would consider Java Fern...
I have/did/am....LOL, with Jen's thoughts it may work. I have some narrow leaf Java that I was thinking of using, but It really hasn't attached itself very well. So, I kind of discarded the idea. However,....

Quote:
For a nice tight fit, I've taken java fern and staple gunned it to driftwood. You don't want the staple to crush the rhyzome, so do one or two test runs to see how far they are driven in. I've also used a pencil to stop the staple, and then slipped the rhyzome under and gentle tapped it down tight with a hammer. They will be on there very solid and the staples rust - you'll never know they were there! I've done this for years with no adverse affects on water quality. A staple or dozen won't hurt.
I agree, and that's a Great idea. I may very well try it. I don't think that any of my anubias will work, because they are just not flexible enough to take the periodic abuse. But the NLJF should be able to weather any storms well.

Thanx Everybody, and any other thoughts are Greatly Welcomed!
Old 09-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #8
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

cool snake tank!

what about the amazon swords? or vals? they both have pretty good root systems.

java ferns sound like a great idea

- fish newb -

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2006, 01:52 AM   #9
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Any Anubias plants, African Bolbitis fern, Cryptocoryne ciliata, various mosses... grass plants would be marginal at best under very low light. In fact any plant will be marginaly successfull under "very low light".
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2006, 04:18 AM   #10
harrishawk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

what type of snake is that i cant recognize it?

"edit" didnt read all the way through but its gorgeous just a little bit diffrent from the southern water snakes down here j/k
harrishawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.