Increasing Mechanical Filtration on a Fluval 404
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-11-2003, 05:42 PM   #1
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a Fluval 404 and an Aquaclear 500 on a 90g planted tank. At times I am not satisfied with the clarity of the water. There is a lot of suspended particles in the water column, probably due to slight overstocking of the aquarium.

I know one solution would be to reduce the fish load, but this is not an option I want to take, as I have had no morts in the tank for over 3 months, and my levels are fine.

My question is, could I use floss or polyester wool, or batting as some call it to increase the mechanical filtration in the Fluval. What I was thinking of doing, is filling one of the four trays with loosely packed material, as not too reduce the flow too much.

Will this work? What would be the best material to use for increased mechanical filtration of medium sized partcles (1-2 mm diameter)?

Discuss.
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2003, 05:44 PM   #2
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

When I had a fluval 404 on my 45 I packed two of the trays with filter floss without a problem.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 06:57 PM   #3
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks George,

Did you notice much of a flow rate reduction?
Old 12-11-2003, 11:58 PM   #4
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

No it seemed to run just fine.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!

My 29 gallon tank
Old 12-12-2003, 04:31 AM   #5
lanstar
Planted Member

That's one of the nice things about Fluval filters. They give you those great big compartments that you can use for whatever you feel you need - peat, carbon, various adsorbents or absorbants, floss, whatever you want. Very versatile. The one sponge media Fluval has for mechanical filtration never seemed to do a good enough job for me (all by itself) either.

One of the best mechanical filter media I've run into is that "floss like" sleeve Penguin makes for their Magnum line of cannister filters. It's the same stuff they permanently attach to the filter cartridges for their HOB bio-wheel units. It's very durable and does a really good job in that kind of filter. If you could get that stuff in bulk so you could cut it to fit the compartments of other kinds of filters, it ought to be pretty effective.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:00 PM   #6
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanstar
That's one of the nice things about Fluval filters.

Ack! Heresy! "Nice things" and "Fluval filters" do not belong together in the same sentence!
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!

My 29 gallon tank
Old 12-12-2003, 04:17 PM   #7
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am going to do this tonight. I know Eheims are the hi-buck units to get, but here in Canada I can get almost 3 Fluval 404s for the price of one Eheim.

I have been running my 404 for 4 years now without any problems. Well other than the need for increased mechanical filtration.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:51 PM   #8
Proost
Algae Grower

Well, I agree with George about the Fluvals. One of things I don't like mine is how realtively Small the media containers. My Rena ones are about three times the size.

But, to add even more particulate filtration you can try filter felt. You can cut it to fit and put it on the bottom of one of the media holders. If you put it on top it will clog very fast. But, either way you are going ot increase the maintenance on you filter.

I hope this helps.
75 gallon heavily planted, 350w MH, 60/40 flourite/gravel, DIY CO2(for now), XP3, Mag350 w/inline DIY CO2 reactor, and fluval surface skimmer. 45 gallon pent corner heavily planted 175w MH, 80/20 Profile/Flourite, DIY CO2, XP3, DIY in-tank foam prefiltered power CO2 reactor. A few other tanks, and way too many plants.
Proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 11:57 PM   #9
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I added the floss to one chamber about 3 days ago. I noticed an improvement in water clarity the next morninig.

Proost - excuse my ignorance, but what is filter felt?

I don't mind upping the maintenance in exchange for cleaner water.

But to summarize, the floss definately made a difference.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:45 PM   #10
Proost
Algae Grower

At an LFS near me they used to sell peices of this stuff they call filter felt. It is like 1/4 thick and comes in three grades of filtration in about 2'x3' peices. Basically it was just thick felt that filtered out more stuff. You could cut it to fit anything you want it to, like the bottm of a media container. I haven't used it in a long time, but it seemed to filter finer stuff than the floss alone. I used it primarily when I set up new tanks to filter out that fine silt from the substrate. Before someone gave me a Magnum that is. I guess I don't know if they still sell it or not. I apologize for not checking first.
75 gallon heavily planted, 350w MH, 60/40 flourite/gravel, DIY CO2(for now), XP3, Mag350 w/inline DIY CO2 reactor, and fluval surface skimmer. 45 gallon pent corner heavily planted 175w MH, 80/20 Profile/Flourite, DIY CO2, XP3, DIY in-tank foam prefiltered power CO2 reactor. A few other tanks, and way too many plants.
Proost is offline   Reply With Quote