Best LED Lighting for planted tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #16
aquaxenobia
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

aesthetically speaking, I do like the Finnex models, though according to wheeling the buildmyled models are brighter so I may go ahead and go for that. I just want a really good model for plant growth. ideally below $400
aquaxenobia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #17
aquaxenobia
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeling View Post
Just as you said, you probably need a Monster Ray to make the color out. Ray 2 alone makes the color washed out. I did mean the dual 7K. Someone some time ago posted photos of Ray 2, it looked washed out. DX3Bash just posted a video, also demonstrated this.

Ray 2 was my first choice. Due to the same issue, I passed it and bought Buildmyled. It is customizable and cheaper than Ray 2 plus Monster Ray, and significantly brighter than the Finnex combination.

ahhhh thats very insightful, so you've tried both and found that the buldmyled have been brighter. Have you observed any effects on the plants? Growth? etc..

also I noticed its very customizable (as the name suggests) what combination of led's did you use ?
Old 06-06-2013, 01:48 AM   #18
aquaxenobia
Algae Grower

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady33 View Post
A bit in the 'way over thinking this" department. Google "double split experiment", be amazed at the weird nature of light, then totally ignore it when it comes to your tank.

The wave/particle nature of light will have no effect on the temp (K) or the growth potential of whatever lights you use.

thanks jbrady33 , I actually did a speech in my freshman year in college on the behavior of quantum particles and in high school, freshman year, I observed various effects of better water chemistry on black convicts for a project so I guess somehow this continues that tradition. I agree I'm over thinking, lol I agree. However, I still think it is important to understand these things to some degree. To truly understand your aquarium, we don't fall short of being scientific.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #19
wheeling
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaxenobia View Post
ahhhh thats very insightful, so you've tried both and found that the buldmyled have been brighter. Have you observed any effects on the plants? Growth? etc..

also I noticed its very customizable (as the name suggests) what combination of led's did you use ?
I did not try the Ray 2, but I saw several photos. Just my 2 cents, may not be right for you. But here is the light I got:

http://www.buildmyled.com/custom-rep...ATAATAAATAATAA

see it in action (not mine) http://forum.buildmyled.com/index.ph...-spectrum.225/
wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #20
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
The correct link is buildmyled.com. I'm not sure if there was a play on words here or what.
Thank you
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #21
owens81jw
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

I'm leaning toward an 48in fixture from buildmyLED.com
owens81jw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #22
Im2Nelson4u
Algae Grower

The best, brightest, cheapest LED system you can buy is probably the one you build yourself. I built all my own LEDs light for all my tanks

Here is my 60F I just finished a 2 weeks ago

http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthrea...-in-the-making

Here is my 36" light that i built for my 48G rimless, it's now being controlled by an arduino reef controller

http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthrea...G-Rimless-Tank

If your interested in building your own you should contact my friend who is selling his unused 48" LEDs

http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthrea...h-mounted-LEDs
Im2Nelson4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
led, led aquarium lights, lumen, lumens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.