Stealth FugeRay2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Old 06-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
King of Hyrule
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Stealth FugeRay2

I started my 29G tank with the T8 hood that came with the "Kit" (stand, tank and hood). I quickly upgraded to T8 to a "plant" bulb that cast a pink light over everything. Life in the tank was good, but plant growth was slow. After reading everything I could on LED lighting solutions and sending out a few emails to vendors I decided to first try a smaller FugeRay for my 10G tank at work, if that did a good job -- I'd order the 30" FugeRay2 for the larger tank at home.

I choose FugeRay for two reason, the outstanding reviews from this forum and that vendor responded to my inquire in a timely manor. I tested the waters by ordering a 20" FugeRay for my office 10G. It's a damn fine light. So, I ordered a 30" FugeRay2 for my 29G at home.

The 30" FugeRay2 puts out a lot of light. I tried running the fixture without hood on the tank, but too much light was reflexed off the water, making the room to bright for my wife: she couldn't watch TV with the tank light on. 30" FugeRay was too large to work with the hood. So I returned it to Amazon and ordered the 24" FugeRay2 (same output, but smaller form factor). I gutted the hood's tube light and sliced in the 24" FugeRay2. The LED fit perfectly under the hood. This had the added benefit of connecting the Finnex FugeRay2 a longer power cord (face it the stock power cord is too short).

My fish tank friends think I have some type of secret DARPA funding ultra-high yield T8 under the hood. I let them think that, why ruin it for them?

This is a warranty voiding and possible burn your house project -- so don't try it.

Steps
1. Unscrewed and discarded the stock fixture in the hood.

2. Cut the plug on the FugeRay2 cord, I'm sure this will void your warranty. So Don't do it,

3. Splice in the Finnex LED light system, with the power switch inside the hood.

4. Please Finnex Fugeray2 onto glass in tank hood, cover with fixture home.

5. Enjoy.

I'm not sure if I'll pull the glass out of the hood, and create some type of bracket to hold the LED bar into place. The glass seems to keep the hood ridged and if I remove it I'll have to make sure the hood remains supported. Removing the glass would allow more air to flow around the fixture and make the light seem brighter (as the light doesn't have to pass through to sheets of glass.) If I move forward with this part of the project I'll post more about it.

I look excited about the Finnex FugeRay Plant+ LED; I'll likely try the same thing with it.
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

Pure genius. Pretty cool how it looks like a cheapo hood, but with magnificent lighting.
JoeandCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Do you mean the Ray2 on the 29 (the more powerful model)? The 30" and 24" Ray2 are the same LED guts and give the same light, so no loss by going shorter.

The Fugeray 30" and 24" are different specs, but you can trim a 30 down (cut the metal) to squeeze under that hood. This is how mine turned our
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...hlight=fugeray
Old 06-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
King of Hyrule
Planted Tank Obsessed

I ordered a 30" but it didn't fit under the hood, so I ordered the 24". Than took advantage of Amazon's liberal return policy and returned it. I read in a review the the 24" and 30" shared the same number of LEDs and output.
King of Hyrule is offline   Reply With Quote