HybridHerp's 75 gallon - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

So, my hand hurts from the amount of pruning that happened due to being in the water all that time re-scaping.....

Endli is in another home now, and now I re-scaped this tank....I'll post pics up later.

Also got some new fish, I'll show the full stock list once I put up the pictures...and of course me being me, I have a few fish that still aren't traditional planted tank residents, but I have faith that they will work (or at least most of them...one of them is going to be hit or miss but if its miss its an easy fish to rehome for the price I payed for it).

Time will tell if I'm being stupid with my fish choice or not, but I'm feeling daring. Plus, if it works, they are some beautiful fish when fully colored up.
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Thorichthys ellioti – “Ellioti Cichlid”
Got him growing out a bit in my 10 gallon...he probably is big enough as is but I'd rather be safer than sorry since I don't see these in NY (got this in Jersey).

Full tank shot. Like the scape so far? I decided to mix it up a little bit from what it was before. 6 pieces of wood are in this sucker now, I'll go over them in pictures.

Eichhornia diversifolia was trimmed way down, on the far left. Subwerstang is on the stone, H. pinatifida and Blyxa also in front of the wood, with Petite anubias on the wood itself.

I call this Wood #1 (creative right?)

More blyxa, subwerstang, and H. araguyai to the right. I want to get it to carpet a little bit...should look interesting next to the blyxa and the s. repens to its right. Also, you can see the Red Tiger Lotus in the background...that should be cool once it grows huge, as I know they do.

S. repens, Gold nesea...it looks a little rough but it will be bouncing back soon now that nothing is uprooting it or anything, plus I am dosing ferts again.

Crypts...a mix of some wendtii hybrid, a bit of green gecko, nurii, parva, usterania, crispatula var. flaccidifolia, a rose sword, l. aromatic, a. reineckii, a micaranthra lotus, and the laghenandra (they are super small though but growing...soon to be monsters)

This feel over a bit, so it looks less awkward now. I call this wood #4. Its covered in assorted anubias species, and has Red cabomba and H. 'Brown' to its left, alongside two madagascar lace plants and some sunset hygro, and it has H. corymbosa to its right. I want to put bangladesh behind it as well, and have R. vietnam, R. japan red, and R. goias in front of this wood as well, alongside getting more anubias for it.

The two lace plants where sitting in a 10 gallon for months...they are a lovely, lovely plant. I have them behind the banana plant (they get big...the tubers all rotted off and/or where buried, but this started out looking like any other banana plant).

Wood #2, I have some fissidens from MonsterFish on here, as well as windelov java fern that I've been holding on to. Wood #3 is the piece right in front of this one, and it has more fissidens on it, as well as a bit of trident fern that I want to grow out. Should be nice.

This I'm not sure how I feel about. The plant you see here is some L. Atlantis that I trimmed from my 10 that is in my sig. Behind it is Rubin, which I like, and a crinum calminstratum, which will grow huge in time. I want to get multiple ludwigia species growing in rows here...but I am unsure if I want to keep atlantis here specifically. I'm also debating if I should use glandulosa...or if I should keep only Rubin as a larger, background ludwigia species in this section. Debating debating.

And now for the fish. I am SO FREAKING HAPPY that I was able to find this EBJD...he's a good 4" I'd say. I MISS HAVING ONE SO MUCH. I had one...over two years ago, that I had had for 3 years and grew out from a 2" baby...got it to just over 5" before it died when I went away on vacation. And he is behaved with the stems so far...only plant that's been uprooted is blyxa...which is a pain in the ass to keep planted anyways...and its only a small amount of blyxa (like one stem of it) that seems to be uprooted...I'll bury it better later.

Australian Rainbows....5 of them. Got these at the GCAS auction a week or so back. One of them is deformed a bit, and had some fin rot, but its bouncing back. The rest are starting to show their true colors. I'm debating getting 2 or three more...if I did I'd aim to just get more females most likely.

This, is a nice fish. A pair, male and female actually. Threadfin Acara. From what I understand it doens't grow super huge either. I'm doing this pair in place of attempting to do a pair of some nice angels....I just like the regal appearance of these and am getting tired of not being able to find angels I want that are affordable. This one is the female, less colorful and show, but still pretty.

The male is prettier, but wasn't as easy to snap a pic of. That dorsal gets some long trailers, and the fish gets a lot of red highlights and blue speckling. I'm excited lol

Yup, my rainbow cichlids are still doing fine. I think they might be a male and female pair...idk. They get along and are showy and active, so I'm happy. They aren't being dark and hiding anymore which is fantastic, as they are a fantastic cichlid, especially for a planted tank.

The 6 pearls are doing fine as well. Pictured are 4 because they like to break off and chill around the tank.

Not the best pic...but it shows that I have a rope fish now. Considering getting another one as well, but he should be fine with the sen bichir and retropinis bichir that I have now.

Another crummy shot, but this is the back end of my retropinis bichir. Just to prove that he is, indeed, in this tank.

Andddddd, photo dump time

Old 07-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

So, on sunday I am going on a LFS tour with some other Long Island people. I'm thinking of getting 6-8 congo tetras....only other fish I then desire for this tank would be some sort of something that will nibble on algae and NOT on fissidens. Idk if bushynose plecos are out then, but I know it takes out SAE. I'm also debating flagfish or just some nice mollies/platties/swordtails/whatever live bearers that might nibble stuff up...plus them making babies should be a nice snack for everyone else in here.

Now for the important stuff....the plants. I have quiet the list of plant species I want to toss in here. As mentioned, I'm going to do rows of ludwigia...I know I want either/or both cuba and pantanal, as well as twisted and the regular version of inclinata....senegalenses is always nice as well, and I want to get some diplis diandra going too in this same area. Not sure if I'd want to get the straight Red Ludwigia as well....I've done it before in another tank but meh, I might have space in here.

Aside from that, I have rotalas that I want, a few crypts, might be getting some leopard jungle val to see how it does....maybe even some P. stellatus and P. erectus in here too.

Only thing I don't know what to do with is Wood #6...the wood standing upright in the back right corner. Atm, it has some tawiain moss stuffed on it, but idk if I want to keep that or not. I might consider doing another moss of that genus, but I'm not sure if it will look random. I could just throw anubias or fissidens on it, but I feel like it will get covered over by crypt leafs and the lagenandra and everything else if I make it too subtle. Maybe I could try a Buce here? But those are small too right? Ideas people?

I also have some more rainbow rock I can put in the tank, its the stone I'm using in this tank. Rainbow fish, Rainbow Cichlids, Rainbow Rocks....wasn't aiming to make that a little theme but its cool lol. I might try some Buce on the rainbow rock perhaps...or maybe even do smaller buce mixed in on wood #1 with the petite anubias, might even try some micro on it just to see the size difference.

Oh, and I am getting an aflame sword, probably to put right in front of Wood #2, in the little nook there. Should like nice, and I've never seen it grow super big, so I think it could make for an interesting foreground.

Anyways, on to the full list of species I have in the tank currently. The T. elliot is going to be an epic looking fish (google image search it and you will see), but I'm not including it in this list until it is actually physically in this tank.

Just going to copy and paste from my microsoft word document that complains all my notes and plans for my tanks.

Current Fish/Inverts
• Herotilapia multispinosa – “Rainbow Cichlid” x2
o Allow breeding to occur
• Acarichthys heckelii – “Threadfin Acara” x2
o Allow breeding to occur
• Rocio octofasciata – “Electric Blue Jack Dempsey”
o Remove if screwing up plants
• Trichopodus leerii – “Pearl Gourami” x3:3
o Allow breeding to occur and give away/sell broods
• Melanotaenia australis – “Australian Rainbow fish” x5
o Allow breeding to occur and give away/sell broods
o Add a few more when possible
• Polypterus senegalus – “Senegal Bichir”
o About 8” long now
• Polypterus retropinnis
o About 5” long now
• Erpetoichthys calabaricus – “Rope fish”
o About 14” long now
• Melanoides tuberculata - “Trumpet Snail”
o Allow breeding population to form

Plants
• Current
o Bottom
• Staurogyne repens
 Partial carpet
• Hygrophila sp. ‘Araguaia’
 Partial carpet to the right of S. repens
o Foreground
• Eichhornia diversifolia
 In front of Wood #1
• Hygrophila pinnatifida
 In front of Wood #1
• Blyxa japonica
 In front of Wood #1 and #2
• Nesaea pedicellata – “Yellow Nesaea”
 In front of N. aquatic
• Cryptocoryne parva
 Edge of crypt ring
• Cryptocoryne nurii
 Crypt ring
• Cryptocoryne sp. ‘Green Gecko’
 Crypt ring
o Mid-Ground
• Echinodorus sp. ‘Rose’
 Middle of crypt ring
• Limnophia aromatica
 Right next to crypt ring
• Nymphaea micrantha
 Near crypt ring
• Rotala sp. ‘Vietnam’
 In front of R. macrandra var. ‘Japan Red’
• Nymphoides aquatic – “Banana Plant”
 In front of right side of Wood #4
 Keep trimmed when leafs get too tall or too wide
• Nymphaea stellata – “Dwarf Lilly”
 On top of N. aquatic
• E. angustifolia ‘Vesuvius’
 In front of N. aquatic
• Hygrophila polysperma var. ‘Sunset’
 In front of H. sp. ‘Brown’
• Nymphaea zenkeri – “Red Tiger Lotus”
 In front of the gap of Wood #2
• Didiplis diandra
 In front of Ludwigia senegalensis
o Background
• Alternanthera reineckii var. ‘Rosaefolia’
 Back right corner
• Ammania gracilis
 Next to A. reineckii
• Lagenandra meeboldii ‘Pink’
 Back right corner
 Let it grow more compact
• Cryptocoryne crispatula var. flaccidifolia
 Allow to grow around back of crypt ring
• Cryptocoryne usteriana
 Keep in back of crypt circle
• Cryptocoryne sp. Wendtii Hybrid
 Said to grow tall
 If so, use to frame crypt sp. group
• Hygrophila corymbosa – “Giant Temple”
 Bordering back right of Wood #4
 Trim compact
• Cabomba furcata – “Red Cabomba”
 Behind Wood #4, in-between A. madagascariensis and R. sp. ‘Bangladesh’
• Aponogeton madagascariensis – “Lace Leaf”
 Behind N. aquatic
• Hygrophila sp. ‘Brown’
 Around A. madagascariensis
• Crinum calamistratum
 Behind Wood #1 and in front of Wood #3
• Proserpinaca palustris – “Mermaid Weed”
 In the gap of Wood #2
• Ludwigia sp. ‘Rubin’
 Keep right of L. glandulosa
• Ludwigia sp. ‘Atlantis’
 In front of L. sp. ‘Rubin’ and L. glandulosa
o Non-Substrate
• Surface
 None
• Hardscape
 Wood #1
• Anubias barteri var. ‘Petite’
o Allow to carpet wood
 Wood #2
• Microsorum pteropus var. ‘Windelov’
o Allow to carpet top of wood
• Fissidens fontanus – Mini Fissidens
o Allow to cover wood
 Wood #3
• Microsorum pteropus var. ‘Trident’
o Allow to carpet bottom of wood
o Allow to cover wood
 Wood #4
• Anubias barteri var. ‘Nana’
o On wood
• Anubias barteri var. ‘Broad-Leaf’
o On wood
• Anubias barteri var. ‘Coffeefolia’
o On wood
• Anubias sp.
 Wood #5
o Allow to cover wood
 Wood #6
• Taxiphyllum sp. ‘Taiwan’
o Might replace with something else
• Stones
 Lomariopsis sp. ‘Subwassertang’
• Allow to form a nice layer on stones and wood
• Spread throughout foreground as an accent

More to come soon, as things grow and as I acquire new plants. Its good to be in business with this tank :P
Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
jesseliu13
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

wow beautiful chris
jesseliu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #20
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

This should look great when it fills up. Lemme know when you want to get another rope.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #21
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
This should look great when it fills up. Lemme know when you want to get another rope.
Will do...unless of course we find one on sunday lol
Old 07-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #22
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Looking good. you sound much happier now that your monsterfish was rehomed... and you have a new monsterfish to chum with hehehe...
Old 07-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #23
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

:P
The dempseys and the like are calmer and less invasive, from experience, I know ebjd for example are about the same in size and temperament as rainbow cichlids...they are very different from regular dempseys based on what I've researched and experienced (I was a cichlids guy when I started fish keeping).

Nothing gets bigger than 6 inches, and the bottom guys stay small too, no bigger than the albino sen.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #24
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

I think the rainbow cichlids are trying to spawn, as they keep digging a small pit in the same spot. I put a rock in that spot to see if they will spawn, because I know they are rock spammers and not pit spawners.

Not sure if the thread fin acaras are trying as well, but I feel like eventually they will. Have to read up on it as I've never breed anything other that cherry shrimp and guppies.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #25
BHolmes
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

That'll look awesome when it fills in! I think you landed on the subtle side of variety
Old 07-13-2013, 01:21 AM   #26
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks, but what does "subtly side of variety" mean? Lol
Old 07-13-2013, 01:58 AM   #27
BHolmes
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I was being sarcastic It's a zoo! There's a ton of variety in that tank. Awesome! I'm not a fan of tanks that only grow one or two species of plant and stock one species of fish. It doesn't seem challenging enough and too simple looking. You could take one picture of one area in a tank like yours and see many different varieties of life, like a freshwater reef.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #28
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Ahh, and yah, it's maybe only half way there in terms of diversity too lol.

Especially in a big tank, I don't see why one would keep only a few species. I can understand in a 10 or smaller but a 75? You've gotta make that interesting.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #29
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

I'm wondering what sort of algae eating things I can come up with for this tank. I'm avoiding SAE because I hear they will eat fissidens....I'm wondering if a few flagfish or even just having a few livebearers of some sort (probably either mollies or swordtails as I think platies are too small and guppies are obviously too small) would help?

I'm also kind of wanting to do mystery snails again...but that remains to be seen. The MTS are doing okay though, no idea if ramshorns are breeding or not.

I might throw in some ghost shrimp as well...just as a snack mainly and cause it might be cool if any did survive. But probably mostly as a snack.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:20 AM   #30
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

So, I've added a few new things....I'll start with pics from sunday that show what I got sunday.....although I got a few things today that I'll show off tomorrow :P

Leopard Jungle Val...doesn't look super stripy, but I'm hoping that it will in time. Should be really cool once it gets going. And besides, if you are going to keep something weedy, might as well be something weedy that looks cool right? :P

Also to note is the rainbow rock I put right there....mainly because my rainbow cichlids (well, the male any who) was digging that spot out...so I put the rock there so he could have something to try and get the female to lay eggs on (his luck with the ladies so far seems to be as good as mine...which is to say....meh at best lol)

I threw some Kompact Hygro with the regular corymbosa....just to add more density to it all.

Because I would never just have bushy nose plecos, I have to do it up with fancyness :P. Two royal farlowella's should do the trick of maybe munching on algae, but looking cool as hell and chilling out in the open. Its cool that they don't really hide, I always seem them up front in plain sight, although they can be hard to find when they are on my wood right in front of my face....cool fish though :P

Oh yah, I got more blyxa....I remember wanting this plant so badly, thinking it was so cool....now I have so much of it, its pretty dense, and I love it XD

P. erectus and L. glandulousa that I got from a LFS...the glandulousa is emersed form, so I'll let it sit here and convert on its own time. Very little melting for now though, so we shall see.

Anyways, I got more fish and more plants today, and am putting in an order of plants with h4n again....because we do that lol. But no spoilers on that yet, not until there are pictures :P

I had to trim some plants down already though, namely the red cabomba that I have in here now...and really like the look of and am going to keep in here, and a bit of the yellow nessea. Hopefully these continue to do well for me, and all the plants that looked rough are showing signs of new and much healthier growth, such as my E. vesuvius.

Also managed to get my rose sword to stay down by cutting off a ton of its old leafs...I left it with only two leafs, but it hasn't been uprooted now and its growing pretty steadily and noticeably, so I'm fine with hacking something back all the way to let it get better established.

Gotta do the same to s. repens some time, as well as my H. brown. The older leafs on the lace plants are starting to brown a bit, but I think that might just be due to being in a different tank, as new leafs are growing steadily.

Only real issue I have to deal with, is killing off some BBA that has decided that the top of the filter outlet is a good place to be, and to get my crypts to take off, and not get algae growing on them, ugh. Although, I suspect that won't be a problem once the sword gets going, the idea being that with the rose sword in the middle, and the lagenandrha behind it, that the crypts can be shaded enough so that there isn't a ton of algae. Same idea on wood #5 with the anubias that I want to put on it. Going to be surrounded by stems, and then hopefully have the big leafs poking out.

Not sure what I want to do with Wood #6 though...I was thinking of moss originally but I don't think I really like that idea. I might just keep it as is, and then use it for more lagenandrha in the future, one the little bit I have takes off. Actually, typing that out, I like that idea, so I think that's my new plan for that area :P