High phosphates and hair algae covering my planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 06-01-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
jamey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

High phosphates and hair algae covering my planted tank

I have had my planted tank with cherry shrimp for a while now and I started getting hair algae. little fury hairs all over my plants. So after reading up on it I tested my phosphates. They were off the chart. I did a 50% water change and my phosphate were still off the chart. I have a 29 gallon cube with aqua clear 110 filter and a new light. The light (125 watt florescent bulb, 5 watts per gallon) is on for 10 hours a day (now). before I discovered the hair algae I had the light on for 12 hours. So here I am. I know I can get a honest opinion of what might be going on.
jamey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

are you using tap water? If so, you may have phosphates in there.

I would also cut back to 8 hours a day of lighting.
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
The Big Buddha
Planted Member

I had tons of hair algae issues when I was using tap water, once I switched to RO water +RO Right, everything got much easier with less algae issues. Just my experience though.
The Big Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
jamey
Algae Grower

Yes I am using tap water. I have a really cheap tap water filter. I tested the tap water and it was way below my reading that was off the chart. I haven't lost any shrimp. Should I keep my light on for 8 hours from now on or just until the hair algae is gone? Also do you know if the R/O Right Water Conditioner is safe for Cherry shrimp? Thank you all. I am open to all suggestions and comments on anything I am doing wrong.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:12 AM   #5
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey View Post
Yes I am using tap water. I have a really cheap tap water filter. I tested the tap water and it was way below my reading that was off the chart. I haven't lost any shrimp. Should I keep my light on for 8 hours from now on or just until the hair algae is gone? Also do you know if the R/O Right Water Conditioner is safe for Cherry shrimp? Thank you all. I am open to all suggestions and comments on anything I am doing wrong.
A lot of people who keep shrimp like to use R/O water mixed with tap or they use straight R/O with a re-mineralizer; I like Equilibrium from Seachem, but there are also other brands or re-mineralizers for R/O or distilled water.

It is a little more money, but depending on your tank size, it is worth it to use reverse osmosis water that you know will be consistent (and phosphate free) each time you do a water change, especially if you have shrimp.

I would try to run your light about 6-8 hours per day, then you can adjust gradually to more light later on if algae does not continue to grow. Your plants will be fine with 8 hours of light
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

I suspect that your phosphate test kit isn't giving you correct results. And, a 125 watt fluorescent bulb? That would be about 10 feet long which wouldn't fit over a 29 gallon tank very well. Or it could be a compact fluorescent bulb, but it would be about 6 inches in diameter, also hard to use over a 29 gallon tank. Something doesn't compute here.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
flight50
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey View Post
Definitely 8 hours. 10-12hrsis far to much in most cases. That will give you algae nearly every time. I would hope you don't have 125 watts worth of light over a 29g. Even with the old watts per gallon rule that is far too much. I came up with 4.166 watts per gallon though. I assume your not running co2. If you are there is definitely an imbalance there that needs to be solved. If your not using co2 you should be with that amount of light or downgrade the lighting.

Are you using a timer for your lights or are you manually operating them?
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Back when PMUDD was IT and phosphate was evil I had a monster green water siege. The water had a moderate amount of phosphate in it so I bought phosphate removing resin. That worked fine but the GW remained. It turned out the water had zero nitrate so the plants couldn't use phosphate. Added a bit of nitrate, phosphate level dropped and best of all GW vanished.

Moral of the story? Are you dosing the tank? At the very least you need to add some potassium and micros to the water and you might need a bit of nitrate as well.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
It turned out the water had zero nitrate so the plants couldn't use phosphate. Added a bit of nitrate, phosphate level dropped and best of all GW vanished.
Good advise.

Everything in life needs balance, including the planted tank.
Excercising keeps us healthy...
Excercising without eating...it won't last long.

I'm guessing the 125W rating is the incadesant equivalent not the actual watt usage.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
The Big Buddha
Planted Member

I run the RO right additive with my RCS and they do well and breed quite a bit.
Cheers
The Big Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Default High phosphates and hair algae covering my planted tank

I don't share the opinion about that high phosphates cause algae. The lack of other nutrients or co2 if you have excessive light are more likely to be the cause.

As noted before by other member, the law of the minimum may be the best thing to understand, lack of a nutrient will stop the plant mass from consuming the rest of the nutrients thus you will see a buildup and algae will thrive.

Also, less light is less fret.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 02:20 AM   #12
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

Are you using any ph "powder" or "liquid" that may contain phosphate???

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
jamey
Algae Grower

Yes is use the pH reducer that is in a powder form. i dont use CO2 and do dose the tank. I can take the reflector off the light to see if that helps? Its on a timer. My shrimp are avid breeders. My plants grow like crazy so I know they are ok its just the algae that is over taking them. I reduced the light an scrubbed everything and hasn't grown back as fast as before. I am dosing with Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for Planted aquariums.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #14
jamey
Algae Grower

ph reducer is called neutral Regulator by Seachem. Thank you so much for everyone's help
Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #15
jamey
Algae Grower

You were right. it is the neutral Regulator by Seachem that is giving me high phosphate readings. Thank you. I wouldnt have even thought about this being a problem

Tags
algae, cherry shrimp, phosphates, plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.