How many of you use LEDs for freshwater? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-31-2013, 06:37 AM   #16
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

How many of you use LEDs for freshwater?

I had a DIY fixture using 10 of the cree 3watt LEDs on a dimmable mean well driver. I haven't had much luck with them as of yet. Been slowly eliminating variables as to what the problem is. I'm changing substrate. The lights will be the last change. As of now I only have the lights at 50% and its hanging from 12" from the tank. Problem with smaller tanks is the whole watt per gallon rule seems to change from what I've been reading, but watts aren't really useful. I've used LEDs on reefs, aquaponically, hydroponically, and aeroponically with great results. This isn't my first planted tank, but its the first one I used with LEDs on and its not going to well. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Who knows. Though I can tell you LEDs aren't the newest thing on the market, they are still underused fixtures.
PunknDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 06:43 AM   #17
shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default How many of you use LEDs for freshwater?

All my small tanks are led.
Fluval chi - finnex
Fluval edge. Stock LEDs
Workshop tanks. Diy led strips

Also just orders 2x 18w led strips to try a new diy Setup.

One day ill do my big tank but I have a bunch of new t5hos so no rush there for a while
5.5G Fluval Chi - Pumpkin shrimplets
10G - CRS/CBS | 10G - Red Rilli's | 10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 AM   #18
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I have t5's on my planted 75, but on my 120XH Discus tank i have Finnex Ray 2 LED's combined with a Finnex Moster Ray Color Enhancing LED. Love them!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #19
shift
Wannabe Guru

Do u have a pic of your monster ray and finnex ray 2 pics. I'm curious to see them and the effect of the mix
5.5G Fluval Chi - Pumpkin shrimplets
10G - CRS/CBS | 10G - Red Rilli's | 10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #20
aquagarden
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

I have a 48" led going across two 20 gallons. It replaced a compact fluorescent. The electric bill dropped by about $10 that month, too. I also like them because they are a bit cooler that other lights I've had. I used to have a 150 gal planted discus tank, and the light for that had a fan. The noise of the fan bothered me.

LEDs are crazy expensive sometimes. I got a deal on two 48" on eBay for about 30% of retail ... Got the two of them for $240 with shipping. They're bright enough to grow anacharis and swords.

It's definitely worth shopping around or waiting for a sale. Or, even better: trolling Craig's list for somebody getting rid of theirs.
aquagarden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #21
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (441/100%)

I'd say that's not the case here on The Planted Tank. There's a good mix of people who use bulbs and those who use LEDs.

Many LED fixtures on the market today for planted tanks are affordable. As long as your tank isn't three feet deep, you can get a nice fixture to grow any plant you can keep. LED fixtures for most of my tanks have all cost less than $150.

If you're in the United States or the EU, you should be able to get a nice fixture that's comparable in price to nice T5 units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepswithdafishez View Post
Ive noticed that most heavily planted tanks use t5 s or very expensive led fixtures.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #22
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

I primarily use Finnex Ray2's on my planted tanks.

There is my main tank where i supplemented a MonsterRay to supplement the RGB colors. The plants have reacted quite nicely to the additional light strip though i am noticing some algae starting to develop on the glass but not on the plants themselves.

I have 1 tank using the Current USA Satellite LED+ and another tank running a CADlight T5 dual fixture. Most have transitioned away from fluorescent onto LED and the heatwave of the past week made me grateful for the move in this direction.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
BeastMaster
Darth Rhymlz

PTrader: (1/100%)

Nothing but LEDs. Well, except for natural sunlight on my 5G outdoor tank.
Finnex Ray2 on my ADA 60P, Finnex Fugeray on my Mr Aqua 12G long, (2) Ehiem PowerLEDs on my DoAqua 30cm cube, Archaea 17cm on my DoAqua 20cm cube and finally Archaea 25cm and Up Aqua pendant on my DBP 5B. All good products, all showing good plant growth and great for displaying the aquascapes.
Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #24
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Got tired of replacing CFL bulbs for my 2 36" Coralife fixtures (384 watts). In April I got (4) 30" Freshwater planted tank LEDs by BuildmyLED.com and love them ! They also custom built me a pair of their prototype "nano" strip lights for the center of my tank (I should've bought 36" lights). Awesome products & customer service there for sure.

See my growth example video. Searchlights (forum member) sent me 2 huge amazon swords. I split them off into 3 plants, trimmed the older leaves. The beginning of this video you'll see the mother plant and the new shoot with about 8-10 new baby plants growing off of it. The new shoot grew from nothing to 3" out of my tank in one week !

These LEDs were too bright for my current plant load so I raised them about 5" above the tank. You will not be dissappointed with these lights.
jfynyson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #25
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The video didn't attached so here's the link...enjoy. This tank has been completely overhauled since April. I'll do a tank journal when I get time.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:09 AM   #26
sns26
Advanced Beginner

PTrader: (3/100%)

I use LEDs, and if you search around you'll see my tank journal. It's been about two years since I did my build and I can say the following:

1. Plants grow like mad for me. Fortunately, I can dim things down so they grow slower. But it's hard to find the line between "trim weekly" and "wasting away."

2. The LEDs just keep on truckin'. Never a problem.

3. If you go with dimmable strings of different colors...it's cool.
sns26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #27
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

should I look for those dimmable led fixtures?can anyone point me some good brands that are not too expensive?at roughly 10 inches depth of my tank ,I m starting to think that anything led will do.Problem is ,if they're too strong ,I won't be able to adjust their height more than couple of inches since there is a painting above my tank ,so I was thinking something I could dim and place on top of the tank.

Last edited by sleepswithdafishez; 06-01-2013 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: error
sleepswithdafishez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #28
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfynyson View Post
The video didn't attached so here's the link...enjoy. This tank has been completely overhauled since April. I'll do a tank journal when I get time.

135gal Planted Aquarium - YouTube
Just watched your vid. You could have and still can avoid algae by adding a lot more plants to this sparsely planted tank. There's always a battle between vascular plants and single cell algae. Algae will win the battle in a sparsely planted tank because all algae has to do to grow is produce another cell. Vascular plants have to produce specialized cells to do different tasks.
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #29
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the low plant load comments. I understand that but it's been very costly for this overhaul and to get a 135gal more heavily planted can get a little costly as well. I've been fortunate that a couple folks on this forum have donated most of what you see in the video. I just ordered some HC to cover the front & center of the tank. I'm thinking about taking a walk around my 2 acre pond and pulling some dwarf hair grass & L. repens since it's native to NC !

I cannot get over how well the sword has grown it's new plantlets under these LEDs.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #30
triscene
Algae Grower

Default Re: How many of you use LEDs for freshwater?

I am using Blau Lumina LED 62-1 for my 110 litres and i love it. Dimming, effects and efficiency in growing plants.

OdoslanÚ z m˘jho R800i
triscene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.