Could it be?? An Oregon Group?!?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Oregon

Old 05-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Could it be?? An Oregon Group?!?

I'm new to TPT and I am also new to keeping tanks. I am an OR transplant by way of CO. Are there any southern OR people on here? I am in the middle of a plant crisis that caused a CRS crisis...maybe someone close can help?? I need some cycled Java Moss and/or Christmas Moss and some mentoring in the ways of shrimp-keeping....anyone??
Tank Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

I'm not down south but I can answer some questions you have
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

Had some happy RCS and it all went bad...http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...082&highlight=
Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

Not sure if it was my filtration, pretty sure it was a copper poisoning or pesticide from a LFS plant.

Curious if you had any special direction for the shrimp though. The RCS seem like the goldfish of shrimp, but somehow I screwed up. I want to make sure I have as much info as possible.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

Personally I would forget the last few you have a start over.

Make sure your tank is cycled. Yes cherries are the goldfish of shrimp but shrimp are still more sensitive than fish. Make sure you have zero ammonia, nitrite and a low ~10 nitrate, an acceptable pH, GH and KH.

I still think the ammonia and nitrite is your issue. I'd change out all of your water and make sure you've rinsed the plants or just toss them (get some from people on the forum, they're cheaper and healthier) before you add them to your tank. Personally I'd toss them and get new ones from hobbyists.

10-20% biweekly water changes are what I do. Unless the TDS hasn't changed then I just leave it. Stable parameters are key to a successful colony.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
Personally I would forget the last few you have a start over.

Make sure your tank is cycled. Yes cherries are the goldfish of shrimp but shrimp are still more sensitive than fish. Make sure you have zero ammonia, nitrite and a low ~10 nitrate, an acceptable pH, GH and KH.

I still think the ammonia and nitrite is your issue. I'd change out all of your water and make sure you've rinsed the plants or just toss them (get some from people on the forum, they're cheaper and healthier) before you add them to your tank. Personally I'd toss them and get new ones from hobbyists.

10-20% biweekly water changes are what I do. Unless the TDS hasn't changed then I just leave it. Stable parameters are key to a successful colony.
Sorry, still learning... TDS?

All other plants were stable with RCS and WCM. 3/4 RCS bounced back and seem ok now, all of the WCM were oblivious to whatever change messed with the RCS. I removed wisteria that seemed to cause the issue and conditions improved for most of the shrimp. I am monitoring the tank, but don't want to tear it down as the RCS are not the only inhabitants. Still trying to find aquarists in my area to trade and consult with, but for now I have to order. I'll be placing an order in a day or two if I can figure out where the items are listed lol.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

TDS - total disolved solids - its a measure of how much "stuff" is in your water (minerals and pretty much anything that you can't measure with a test kit). You can buy a TDS measuring pen off ebay for under 10 bucks.

I have a very simple shrimp tank with a TON of floaters (I can send you some if you want) that seems to help keep the shrimp thriving and breeding. I have a little moss (thats dying) and subwassertang (sp). I still haven't got a TDS pen, but its a good idea to grab one if you can.

*edit* I'm not in Oregon now, but I am a Medford transplant. Still have a bunch of family down there
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

params are 0-5 NO3, 0-.25 AMM, 7.4 pH lowering, but still not perfect. Do I have a diff test kit?? Everyone has exact #s and mine, well...aren't lol....rookie faux pas??
Old 05-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

I only ask because eventually i'd like to get the colony going, but i'm down to 3 RCS right now and I know that isn't happy numbers for them I want more when my water is safe, but the LFS has a couple bad outbreaks right now. And overnight everywhere is like $40!!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

Get them from members on the forum. They're pretty cheap and shipping priority is fine. Which is around $10-15
Old 05-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

Thank you Jkan!! PM me if you know of anyone with healthy RCS or xmas moss that would help
Old 05-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank Artist View Post
Thank you Jkan!! PM me if you know of anyone with healthy RCS or xmas moss that would help
Posting a thread in the WTB/RAOK section of the forum is all you need
Old 05-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
Posting a thread in the WTB/RAOK section of the forum is all you need
You're awesome :-) I got everything sorted, thank you!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

If anyone is interested, I started a 55Gal yesterday along with a tank journal for it. I am still in planning mode for inhabitants, but I keep coming back to oscars. I think if I do that i'll pick a tiger and an albino tiger and maybe a rosy albino (not sure the real name of them, just what they look like to me lol). I read if you get them young they aren't aggressive towards each other...? Anyway this is the page if you're interested.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...530&highlight=
Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #15
Tank Artist
Algae Grower

Update: We started a species tank in a 20g for the RCS! New colony, cycled tank, healthy stock, and 4 to 5 berried females! Trying to find someone in the rogue valley to trade stock with for genetic diversity...know anyone?
20g - RCS colony (grade sakura to fire red, still figuring out the selective breeding)
48g - 2 JD (m and f juviniles, unnamed yet), 3 green tiger barbs "Hook" "Line" and "Sinker", and 2 Bala Shark Juviniles (sadly having to rehome the female soon).
55g - Red Oscar "Lucy" and Turquoise Severum "Desi"

Hello, my name is Candice and I might be a tankaholic...