Help creating depth in 150 gallon - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 07-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #31
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Added anubia to the branch instead of java fern/moss. Also removed some of the rocks and planted cyrpt parva for carpet. Appreciate all the comments! Thanks

http://imgur.com/a/qRokP#0
Fish from Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #32
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

the tank is looking much better, congrats!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #33
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj4low View Post
It's definitely looking better.

Maybe something to keep in mind if you ever want to replace rocks or plants: while in one of my college painting classes years ago, I learned one trick to create depth is that warm colors (red/oranges) tend to pull forward while colder colors (blues/purples) push back. Worked out on flat paper/canvas so it's got to work for a shallow depth tank too. If you do find any replacement rocks, try placing light warmer colors up front and darker cooler colors to the rear.
that's a great suggestion by the way. i keep the red/orange petrified wood up front in my tank, and leave the more washed out pastel like colors for the back (white foamboard with background light). really helps with depth. if you have too bold a background in the back, it kinda washes out what's in front of it. thus, i'd go either all black for the background to make the foreground pop, or put the bolder colors up front and wash it out in the back, which i did for my tank here:

Old 07-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #34
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post
that's a great suggestion by the way. i keep the red/orange petrified wood up front in my tank, and leave the more washed out pastel like colors for the back (white foamboard with background light). really helps with depth. if you have too bold a background in the back, it kinda washes out what's in front of it. thus, i'd go either all black for the background to make the foreground pop, or put the bolder colors up front and wash it out in the back, which i did for my tank here:

Yeah I agree. I'm pretty sure I will make background black just not sure if it is best to do with the $50 oneshot paint or if I can use some type of backer. I like the wood in your tank a lot! I have some for a 20 gallon I may set up eventually and will use the redder pieces in front. Thanks for tips guys
Fish from Philly is offline   Reply With Quote