Help creating depth in 150 gallon - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 06-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Farmer - I have some larger stones but didn't think the scale was right so I put in the smaller ones. I probably will make adjustments 50 more times this year but that's the fun in this (as someone posted this to me in another forum). I got the idea of the white path from some award winning aquascapes. Remember that most of the sides will be filled with green once it grows in more. I have eco-complete under the sand so hopefully won't have to add any root tabs. I agree and took your advice and moved the large dw on the left. I changed it around a bit and think it works. One thing I'm considering is taking the thin leaf java fern off the top of the left wood. Maybe keep it "bare" or cover with java moss.

Opinions and criticism are welcome. You guys have been great!

Updated with more plants: http://imgur.com/a/ThEtd
Fish from Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
Jonny
Planted Member

I think it is off to a great start. I hope it is ok to post the link here, this company in England are considered the No.1 for aquascaping, they have some incredible videos and articles as the fully aquascape massive tanks and give a wealth of great advice and tips. Might be worth checking out some of the videos if you have time;

http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/articles/journals
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish from Philly View Post
Farmer - I have some larger stones but didn't think the scale was right so I put in the smaller ones. I probably will make adjustments 50 more times this year but that's the fun in this (as someone posted this to me in another forum).
No worries, but IMO larger rocks have to be pretty big before they are too big.

Quote:
I got the idea of the white path from some award winning aquascapes. Remember that most of the sides will be filled with green once it grows in more.
Yeah, I don't mind white paths. Just it didn't like like a white path til you pointed it out. It's growing on me now. So much better with the left wood moved. The more plants you have in there the better it's looking. Now IMO it's only smallish changes. I think we need to get a bit more flow happening. At the moment it's like I want to cut it in two. The left two thirds I like on it's own. The right side needs to fit.

I have done some work on your pic...

Click image for larger version

Name:	4tty04kh.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	157537

Can you put that right wood on an angle?

I can't see if what I can see in that pic is the whole tank so I'm not sure where the third lines are. To me the left wood is in the right place but I'd be moving the branching piece to tie in with the right piece. It almost looks like your path/gap is in the centre. I'd be moving it a bit to the right. Under the 'new' placement of the branch. Perhaps move the two circled rocks to the left side, but don't put them in a line like you have them now. Let your plants define the path and the rocks just add texture.

One more point. I like the use of red plants but I'd put the one on the left side close in on the right side of the large piece of wood. The reason being they pull focus and you don't want to loose what you gained by moving that wood there in the first place. Stick to your greens on the left there.

Quote:
I have eco-complete under the sand so hopefully won't have to add any root tabs.
I don't really know, that's not my area. I just thought it was plain sand.

Quote:
One thing I'm considering is taking the thin leaf java fern off the top of the left wood. Maybe keep it "bare" or cover with java moss.
Yep. Definitely do that. I'd move it over to the other wood.

To me people have awesome wood then cover the whole lot with moss etc. I don't see the sense in it myself. But that's just my personal preference. I like to see wood when it's there.

Anyway, it's so much better now than the first pic I saw. I didn't know where to start. Keep going

Linds
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
I think it is off to a great start. I hope it is ok to post the link here, this company in England are considered the No.1 for aquascaping, they have some incredible videos and articles as the fully aquascape massive tanks and give a wealth of great advice and tips. Might be worth checking out some of the videos if you have time;

http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/articles/journals

Wow thanks for that link, I just got lost in watching that "Nature's Chaos" video!
Old 06-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

I think you could keep the fern on the left piece of wood, but I would definitely move it lower, about 1/2 way down. I think it would look pretty neat having the wood sticking up above the growing mass of fern below.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #21
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think having a black background, coupled with some tall plants in the back would halp to give the appearance of depth - sorta like it's vanishing into shadows, but that may not work real well with what you are doing.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #22
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah925 View Post
I think you could keep the fern on the left piece of wood, but I would definitely move it lower, about 1/2 way down. I think it would look pretty neat having the wood sticking up above the growing mass of fern below.
Yeah. That would work. I was picturing plants on the ground doing that.

Linds
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #23
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone. I'm going to mess around tomorrow during water change and post some pics. Then off to Miami for few days. Would be cool if I notice difference in 5 days. I keep hearing about black background and was recommended to use one shot or something. Apparently it rolls on and sticks to glass.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #24
Jonny
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post
Wow thanks for that link, I just got lost in watching that "Nature's Chaos" video!
No worries at all, glad you enjoyed it too. I started watching them by accident after having my first ever tank a few months ago (That was just a higgldy piggldy of random stuff in it.) It totally got me into the concept of aquascaping and inspired me to give my first aquascaping attempt a go a few days ago.

I love how they take you through right from the start to the finish then show an update months later when it has grown in. I think my favourite so far was 'Altitude', though admittedly I liked it a bit more before the plants grew in so much (felt it made it lose a bit of the sense of scale.) I really hope to be able to go and visit them in person one day
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 04:40 AM   #25
xj4low
Algae Grower

It's definitely looking better.

Maybe something to keep in mind if you ever want to replace rocks or plants: while in one of my college painting classes years ago, I learned one trick to create depth is that warm colors (red/oranges) tend to pull forward while colder colors (blues/purples) push back. Worked out on flat paper/canvas so it's got to work for a shallow depth tank too. If you do find any replacement rocks, try placing light warmer colors up front and darker cooler colors to the rear.
xj4low is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #26
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

Back from vacation and the plants certainly have grown in some! I didn't replace any rocks but did remove a few and will likely leave it this way and plant some more. I took off the java fern "crown" and added to bottom of the left piece.

So here's what I'm thinking, comments welcome!
1. Take off blue background and paint oneshot black
2. Attach some java fern to the middle "branch" to make it look like fallen tree
3. Move the right "stump" over a bit so that the branch looks like it fell off naturally
4. Maybe get some more anubia to outline the path for the left side (the right has enough from the stump)

http://imgur.com/a/ThEtd#0
Old 06-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #27
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Black background will be nice. You might try some black posterboard as a test to make sure you like it before painting. Once the taller plants in the back fill in, the feeling of depth will be there I think. Make sure to keep lower growing plants in the fore and mid or that feeling will be lost.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #28
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
but that may not work real well with what you are doing.
Why not?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #29
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

Got the idea to use anubia nana vs java fern/moss to create the leaves for the tree. What do you think? Here is link:

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/thre...oser-60l.4837/

His work is simply amazing
Old 07-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #30
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

Lastest pics...not sure if the middle branch is placed right. I like the look when the branches go toward the back (pic 2-4) but I love the arch created when I set it with branches toward the front (pic 5 and 6).

New pics here:
http://imgur.com/a/C5uvx#0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.