Questions on starting a 16G Eclipse 1 tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-08-2003, 09:56 PM   #1
cmontana
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi,
I just started a 16G Eclipse1 tall tank (20"X19"X10"). My questions are:

1 - At what level should I keep the temperature, PH, Alkalinity?

2 - I use a small DIY CO2 kit since I would like a planted tank; how do I measure the amount of CO2 in my tank?

3 - The filter outlet create quite a strong water flow, would that be detrimental to a planted tank and need to be replaced by another system?

4 - I am planning on replacing the double fluorescent tubes (2X15W) with a 2X36W 6500K power compact retrofit. Would that be appropriate?

Any suggestions/tips are most welcome. It's hard to sift through the huge amount of info (sometimes contradictory) found online
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2003, 11:25 PM   #2
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontana
1 - At what level should I keep the temperature, PH, Alkalinity?
Depends on the fish you are keeping and the plants. Some plants are cold water plants and do not fair well at tropical temperatures. You shouldn't need to keep your tank more than 80 degrees, although many plants and fish do just fine with those anyway. pH is going to depend on your KH and if you are adding CO2 it will most likely drop a few points anyway. Unless you live in an area that has no buffering whatsoever or you have stalagtites growing from your faucet standard tap water should be fine.
Quote:
2 - I use a small DIY CO2 kit since I would like a planted tank; how do I measure the amount of CO2 in my tank?
You need to measure the pH and the KH and then find where you sit on the chart: http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/kh-ph-co2-chart.html
Quote:
3 - The filter outlet create quite a strong water flow, would that be detrimental to a planted tank and need to be replaced by another system?
Surface agitation can drive off CO2. I can't really recommend another filter for this system, but I will say that cannister filters are much better because they have submersible power heads.
Quote:
4 - I am planning on replacing the double fluorescent tubes (2X15W) with a 2X36W 6500K power compact retrofit. Would that be appropriate?
I think that's a little strong. Just one of those should be plenty. It would put you in the 2.25 WPG range.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:05 PM   #3
cmontana
Algae Grower

Thanks for the suggestions

Is there any page online where I can learn the difference between KH, gKH, and dKH? All the pages I found talk about it but never explain it.
I am not sure what I should measure, and the test strips I have (Mardel 5 in 1) measure ""Total Hardness (ppm)" and "Total Alkalinity (ppm)".

So, what do I need to know to measure the KH in my tank and use the PH/KH/CO2 table?

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:58 PM   #4
IUnknown
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown

Try thekrib.com. Water chemistry section, If I remember there are some good articles. also maybe something on,
http://www.brainyday.com/jared/aquarium/info.htm

If you are starting out, start with one bulb, you can upgrade later. I have 18T with one 36 and two 13 watt, and I am upgrading to 2 x 36. But you have to maintain it more.
IUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote