Let's Grow Avacado's! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 05-28-2013, 03:18 AM   #16
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Let's Grow Avacado's!

Best avocadoes I've had were when in Colombia. They were the size of large mangos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
I really miss tree fell avacados. I had 2 in my yard when I was a kid in SoCal. You really don't know what an avacado tastes like until you have one that just fell off the tree. They make great climbing trees too!
PunknDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #17
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default RE: Let's Grow Avacado's!

That's right on the money. Sexual reproduction is just too randomized for farmers to make a profit. When you propagate a tree or any plant from cuttings you essentially make a clone. Only problem with that is you create a monoculture. That can cause huge problems if a disease finds its way into a grove. Since the specimens are essentially frozen in their evolutionary state, they won't be able to overcome the disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Actually they will produce fruit. It's just that you don't know what the fruit will taste like or the size. The reason that trees are grafted is to ensure that each fruit taste the same as the parent tree. Growers of fruit trees (substitute any type of tree shrub or flower) go through hybridization all t

he time to improve certain aspects of fruits. Some great fruits are discovered by accident like the Bearss lemon. Many are down through years of cross pollinization and lots and lots of time. Once the right properties are found they are grafted to ensure it is the same since even using the same parent trees will yield a very small percentage of the same characteristics.
PunknDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 04:24 AM   #18
tippeecanoe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

ADJ, it sounds like you've got a good project going. When I had a house, I started an avacado pit. It took a long time to put down the initial tap root, too. Have patience. I would go out when I watered it and threaten to consign it to the compost pile if it didn't start growing. Sure enough, about three weeks or so later, it finally started to send up a leaf stalk/main trunk. When it was two years old, it blossomed, if that's what it could be called. The flowers were small, whitish green and eventually developed the start of small avacados. The baby avacados eventually fell off and never developed. After reading the bit about male/female trees above, it made more sense why the fruits didn't set - I had just a female and no male to pollinate. When I sold the tree it was about eight feet tall and beginning to branch and fill out nicely. If you can keep it in a large enough pot and give it enough sunlight, you should be able to keep it for many years. Maybe a pot with wheels so you can bring it in and out depending on your season. If you can keep it in a warm, sunny location, I'm sure it will be happy. Good luck!
Nikon Pimp #098
Fraternity of Dirt #121
tippeecanoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #19
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Certain trees such as citrus, apple, peach (includes nectarines since they are a sport) and avocado are grafted trees. Why? Well one reason is that growing from seed won't yeild a high percentage of true breed. In other words you'll get a low percentage of trees that resemble the one parent you want.
Apple is a weird one. It will never fruit true without grafting. The fruits from non-grafted trees will mutate into something else. You will not likely a fuji from a fuji apple tree unless grafted for example.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #20
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Apple is a weird one. It will never fruit true without grafting. The fruits from non-grafted trees will mutate into something else. You will not likely a fuji from a fuji apple tree unless grafted for example.
No you probably won't. By the same token you may, and I stress may, get something you like. That Fuji apple came from someplace after all. Could have been by accident or through meticulous hybridization.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #21
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
No you probably won't. By the same token you may, and I stress may, get something you like. That Fuji apple came from someplace after all. Could have been by accident or through meticulous hybridization.
yup, you find the apple you like through years of development and then clone it. Granny smiths have been around for 100+ year and have the same exact genetics now as the original.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #22
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

I heard that someplace I think.

Ah. Avocado trees from seed. NBD. Now a sausage and pepper sandwich tree. Now that would be cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101109_0127.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	149458  

Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #23
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

hmm, I made meatballs in sauce last night. Time for a meatball sandwich.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #24
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Wow who would have thought there would be so much interest in this! luckily I have 2 pits going right now, hopefully I will get lucky and get a male and female! I would love some avocados!

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #25
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Update! It's really grown! I've lost one so I definitely need to start another! It can be planted soon, just needs a few full sized leaves
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	196314  

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 08-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #26
mr.bigglesworth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

If anybody wants to have a fruit tree that can be kept indoors year-round in extremely low light and still produce tasty fruit without needing a male and female (self-pollinating) check out dragon fruit. You've probably never seen this fruit at a grocery store, it is very exotic but it tastes GOOD!! It's actually a cactus so you really only water it every month. Flowers also look amazing but the plant gets huge and small plants won't produce that many fruit since only 1 fruit and flower grows on a branch at a time.
mr.bigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #27
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

The root is broken underneath! Looks like it might be a while until this one gets planted, It's gotta heal, that really sucks, no idea how that would have happened

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 08-26-2013, 04:03 AM   #28
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Fun project but you are doing it the hard way!

Go out to you Compost bin & find an Avo plant that's the right size:

Then dig it out & pot ii up!

DONE!!!

Last edited by DogFish; 08-26-2013 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: pic
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #29
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Hahaha Who would have thought it would be that easy! I think the next thing I try is Pineapple

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #30
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Pineapple "secret" ~ 1st locate a ripe pineapple. It should give a little when you squeeze it. You should be able to "smell" the aroma easily. If you lift it by one leaf the leaf pops off easily.

Hold the Leaf "crown" and Twist it off the Pineapple.

Now the secret, peal down the bottom leaves until you expose about one 1" of the stem. Surprise there are root buds forming there!

Now suspend in in water like you did the Avo pit.

Or, you could just toss it in the Compost bin....
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.