Nofearengineer's 75 High Tech
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

PTrader: (3/100%)

Nofearengineer's 75 High Tech

Finally get to start a new tank from scratch since finding TPT!

Since improving my 46 so much, I have to resist the serious MTS urges. However, finding a brand new 75-gallon tank for $75 was too much to resist.

So let's kick this off right.

Stand build!

After a day of careful tank measurements and CAD work, I bought some lumber and took it all to a friend's house. He is a professional luthier (http://www.jihguitars.com/), who also used to make cabinets and such. So we tweaked a few things, and got to cutting in his awesome shop. Piled it all back into the truck and took it home, where I started putting it together.

Oh yeah, it was a great excuse to buy a new cordless drill kit.

It's built for a 75, but it would probably support a 175 (tall, of course ).

I wheeled it in to the house and got it situated to final verify that it would fit perfect.

Success!

All that's left to do now is to trim it out, put the doors on, and paint it. I haven't decided if I want to do it all white, or taupe with white trim (like the walls).

I've never done cabinet doors before, but I found out I will need a special tool to cut the cups in the doors for concealed hinges. So that might take a while.

I'm going to give it a few days at least to make a decision on colors.

I really like having a counter behind it, so in case I ever want a couple potted plants up there to hang some roots in, it should be perfect.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
jnatelborg54@gmail.com
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

That special tool that you need is a 35mm drill bit made especially for those hinges. It's normally done with a drill press, it's darn near impossible to do it with a hand held drill. Find a local cabinet shop, I'm sure they would quickly do it for you.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #3
blazeyreef
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

looks like a sweet start!
blazeyreef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

Finally got some time (and the motiviation ) to finish the stand. I was actually able to find my exact base molding at the local Lowe's, and the people I bought the house from left cans of all of the paint colors they used, so perfectly matching my wall was a piece of cake!

Now the reason I did this was because the tank is black rimmed, with black silicone. Since it's going to stand out regardless, I'd rather accentuate it, rather than futilely try to blend it in. So I blended the stand in instead. A black suspended lighting fixture will complete this look well, I think.

I'll post some more pics tonight when I get the door knobs (white) installed and the tank put up on it. The paint was still a bit tacky when I took this pic.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Nice job matching the stand to the walls! I have to say, it's like the house was built for that tank

Might I ask what kind of engineer you are? I'm gonna guess a mech-e at a certain certain large company located in Indiana, judging just by your location. I'm currently in my fourth year at UK studying biosystems engineering.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL View Post
Nice job matching the stand to the walls! I have to say, it's like the house was built for that tank

Might I ask what kind of engineer you are? I'm gonna guess a mech-e at a certain certain large company located in Indiana, judging just by your location. I'm currently in my fourth year at UK studying biosystems engineering.
Yes, the breakfast bar is a near perfect fit, isn't it? It will also make water changes and maintenance a bit easier as well.

I am an Electrical Engineer.

4th year...you're almost done. It will be funny when you get out and discover your Engineering degree is merely a testimonial that you can survive a 4-year beating. UK is a fine, fine school. Congratulations!
Old 07-09-2013, 02:20 AM   #7
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Looks great!
longgonedaddy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 03:51 AM   #8
MiSo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

looks amazing so far. great job.
Eheim Pimp Club #190
MiSo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #9
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

I found the perfect doorknobs tonight. Except they aren't even doorknobs. They are finials for curtain rods, marketed by Martha Stewart. As she would say "it's a good thing". (Are guys supposed to know that stuff? )

Screwed them in and they're perfect.

I put my Flourite sand in (still in bags) to get a rough feel for the amount needed. I'm not even sure the one bag I put in my "also in progress" 10-gallon would make this amount enough. I probably need a couple more bags (total of 7).

This tank is directly under the tallest part of my vaulted ceiling. I'm toying with suspending a light all the way from a 2x2 that sits up on the ledges to either side. Either that or putting one hanger on each side wall, so that there is no horizontal structure other than the light. That would preserve my vaulted height. What do you think?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

I'd personally make some light bars that are attached to the stand- it would keep the area above the tank more open.
I have seen someone suspend a light from a very tall vaulted ceiling before and it looked very nice, however, I'm not sure if their ceilings were are high as yours are.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #11
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

What I meant was to attach a "hook" of some sort to each side wall, about 24 inches above the tank, that a cable on each end of the light fixture would go straight up to. The hooks would only protrude far enough off the wall to be above each end of the tank, probably only about 3-4 inches.

Instead of a straight bar all the way across the opening.

Just clarifying if my first description wasn't very good.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
MiSo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

A sky light over the tank would be amazing.
Eheim Pimp Club #190
MiSo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
Chronados
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

That's an awesome location for the tank there. If I were you I'd have some driftwood sticking out of the water for some emersed plants that could be seen on the other side of the counter
Chronados is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Why is the stand wider than the tank?
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

I did that on purpose because the area is carpeted. I wanted any possible drips to stop on the slight overhang instead of the floor.

It also puts the weight of the tank rails on the structural members of the stand, rather than on the aesthetic parts.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 07-09-2013 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Fixed typo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.