Fish bacteria or fungus in planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-08-2003, 04:16 AM   #1
Shakey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi,

I had a question in reguards to a fish disease in a planted tank. Since I am new to planted tanks I had a question in how the plants will respond to me trying to treat the fish, but am hoping that I will be able to keep the plants in there and alive since if its a bacteria, treatment will kill my bacteria for removing NH3/NH4 and NO2.

Ill try to give some good background so that I might get some good tips from anyone that may have gone though this. The tank is a 37 AGA, 30" x 12" x 22", been set-up and running for approx 8 years, and have been a african cichlid tank perviously.

Water chem:
temp: 78 degrees
pH= 8.3
very hard water
NH3/NH4 = unmeasurable
NO2= unmeasurable
NO3 ~ 20-30ppm
light ~1.5 wpg
no substrate additives nor firtilizer (but thats something for a different post)

Little more background: when I made the change from africans to my current peaceful community - planted tank, all my fish are fine tho I had one exception. Keeping the current pleco and syn. cat I traded in my last 2 africans (6+ years old ones) I added 2 angels, 4 neons, 1 dwarf gromie, and 1 male guppie. All fish are perfectly fine then all of the sudden 10 days later my male guppy got a small patch on a side "flapper" fin (never can remember fin names). By the time I got home from work the patch spead to the other "flapper and the "rear fantail" and began rotting the rear tail fantail. Within 15 minutes of completing dinner the fish was dead and a noticable patch of the tail had rotted by the time it died. Now oddly enough "none" of the other fish had any problem at all. I watched the others very closely for the next 10 days and no problems at all.

Thinking the guppy death was just a freak thing from something that it was suffering from perviously, I began to dismiss the death. Now about 13 days after the guppy death I decied to complete my fish stocking for the tank. Wanted to get the fish stocking completed now before I get too heavily planted as lots of plants will make it too easy for a sickly fish to go un-noticed. So last night I went to the fish store to get the fish that would complete my fish stocking for the tank. (note: 2 days earlier I traded my common 5" pleco and 7" syn cat for 4 ottos and 2 fancy cory cats got raped on what they gave me for trading in my utterly flawless syn cat ) So I get these fish to complete the fish stock for the tank.

1 dwarf gromie
3 swordtails 2M 1F
2 mollies 1m 1f
3 neon tetras (7 total in tank)
3 bloodfin tetras
3 dwarf rainbows

--------------------------------------

Pervious fish:
2 angels
1 dwarf gromie
2 cory cats
4 ottos
4 neon tetras (7 with the 3 from last night)
-------------------------------

Plants in tank:
10 stems of Limnophila sessiliflora
6 stems of Hygrophila Polysperma
both growing well.

Ok finally Ill start finishing this up,. Today it appears the Female swordtail has a cloudly eye, no sign of pop yet but clearly cloudy. So it seems I have some bacteria that seems to target livebarers. Now I am wondering will my attempts to treat this require me to remove the plants? I am hoping its not cause if its bacterial its up to H2O changes and those plants to keep having my fish getting NH3/NH4 poisoned.

Any ideas or tips would help greatly. I can't think of any other useful info but if there is anything else you need to know please ask, as I hope to nip this quickly so that I can switch gears and really start focusing on the plants.

Thank you and sorry for the lack of brievity and spelling since my spelling is aweful.
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2003, 10:50 AM   #2
lanstar
Planted Member

I can't say about other meds, but I have used "Quick Cure" (Formalin and Malachite Green) in my planted tank before with no lasting ill effects to the plants. Maybe others can report their results with other meds?
Old 12-08-2003, 10:56 AM   #3
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The meds stain the silicone seams of your tanks and the piping and stuff, rather remove the sick fish and treat them in another container.

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 01:59 PM   #4
Shakey
Algae Grower

Its a very old tank with already very stained silcone seals, so I will accept dyes if they are safe. Removal of the effected fish is an option, I do have a spare tank but it is unfilled to is also un-cycled. I am wondering tho, if this new fish caught a bug that was already in the tank, and with new fish just being added that the transfer was enough to stress it enough to make it fall easy prey?

I am just waking up, so I have not yet gotten a chance to see how the fish is yet, tho if anything changes Ill be sure to update, and thanks for the replys thus far.

Update: The eye cloudyness continued, and some "poping" has happen as well as 2 white patches on the rear main fin. I went to LFS and purchased a product called Myacyn (spelled something close to that) and also added 30+ stems of "Anacharis, Brazilian Elodea (Egeria Densa)" as I have heard its a great O2-inator which may help as I was told the medicine reduces O2, but the downside is it looks like I have ALOT of waterchanges coming up since, this product will most likely wipe out my nytrafying bacteria.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:47 PM   #5
Shakey
Algae Grower

Figured I would sneak in another update, its 24 hours after the first treatment of the medicine, and the couldyness of the fishes eye has reduced but the puffyness remains, as well as the patches on the tail remain completely unchanged, but have not increased. I fear that the thing on the tail is something else, but I been very closely looking at other fish and so no signs of this on ANY of the other fish, so I am sorta ruling out ICH, but could that be a fungus?