Filling the Trellis Raft
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Riparium Supply

Old 05-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
cosm3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Filling the Trellis Raft

Please post any tips and strategies! I couldn't find tips or info within the tank journals and perhaps this thread will help others in the future.

My question:

I have newly planted Bacopa stems that grow over the raft and into the water. After a week or so, they began growing UP out of the water with new leaves at the tip. Some of the stems even grew new roots at the tip from being submerged.

I'm not familiar too familiar with 'training' growth or dealing with Bacopa or Trellis rafts in general - so was looking for pointers.

Here is a screenshot:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Patience, Grasshopper.

Since those are starting to grow already the conditions must be pretty good for them. You should also start to see new roots in the planters pretty soon.

You can get the stems to grow more bushy by trimming back the growing tips as they extend past the edges of the trellis rafts. You should wait a while until the stems are well-rooted before doing this.

As you have them planting now the Bacopa stems will help to cover and fill in, but in order to get a real dense carpet of foliage the best way to plant them is to plant strictly the Bacopa in the planter and use numerous stems. Here is a picture to illustrate this...

This is how I planted in the tank shown below. I planted a planter over on the left side with numerous Bacopa stems and a second with numerous Limnophila aromatica stems.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: Filling the Trellis Raft

I do see nice bacopa but I cannot find Aromatica in the picture?

Any tips on converting Aromatica from submersed to emmersed form? Thanks!
Old 05-26-2013, 04:11 AM   #4
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

The L. aromatica is the left-most plant. You can see a pink flower on it.

I started out with underwater Limnophila stems. I planted a half-dozen stems in the planter, then positioned the planter so that the top rim was about 1/2" below the water's surface. The existing stem sections just drooped down in the water remaining submerged, while new growth was compelled to grow above water and convert to emersed form. It took a long time but the stems looked nice when they grew in.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
cosm3
Algae Grower

Nice! I'm not concerned with the speed of the growth, just want to be sure that i'm training them properly. In the second pic you posted the Bacopa extend a few inches past the raft. This helps!
Old 05-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Hey you bet!

Another good plant for growing like this is Lysimachia creeping Jenny. Here is a setup that a guy from England did with a real nice creeping Jenny carpet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke20037 View Post
Old 05-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
cosm3
Algae Grower

What about Pilea type stems? Is it better to cluster a few stems into one raft or spread them out? Are they mounted near the front of the raft or rear?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

For the Pilea aluminum plant I like to put one stem through each of the three larger holes. Aluminum plant has broader leaves, so three stems fill up the trellis raft pretty well. I generally prefer to use just one kind of plant on each trellis raft because the clusters of one kind of foliage look more natural, but you can also mix them up.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
cosm3
Algae Grower

Here is a screenshot of how I filled the raft:

based on your comments it looks like i'm on the right path! I bunched the Pilea on 2 rafts to give the Bacopa more light.

I had to turn two rafts sideways in order for them to fit.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

That looks pretty good Luis! Now you just have to wait for the plants to grow in. It looks as though they like the light from that Ray 2. Do you have plans for fert dosing?
Old 05-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
cosm3
Algae Grower

Here is a current pic after the new plants as posted in the journal:

No fert plan but I had some left over fert-sticks to help them through the rough start!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Are those like Job's Plant Spikes? You might want to watch out that they don't dump a lot of dissolved ferts into the water. I have heard of people using that kind of thing with good results in planted tanks, but it is generally best to bury them under 1"+ of substrate.

Your plants will appreciate it when you get fish in there, too.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:07 AM   #13
cosm3
Algae Grower

I forgot the vendor but I purchased them back when I originally planned on a planted tank. They supposed to last 1 year.