Lake Superior hardscape critique - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 05-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

I would get rid of the biggest rock so the largest most obvious thing in the tank was the wood. Unless the big rock is a support to the wood, then just leave it there.
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMM View Post
I would get rid of the biggest rock so the largest most obvious thing in the tank was the wood. Unless the big rock is a support to the wood, then just leave it there.
It's not currently acting as a support, but there's a very good chance this wood may try to float when submerged so I was planning on using it to help weigh it down if necessary.
lullafishi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #18
BarbH
Planted Member

Default Re: Lake Superior hardscape critique

Definitely liking the changes that you have made, very natural feeling.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #19
Dan's85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Looking good!
Dan's85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
Hardy85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

So... what sort of plants are you thinking with this hardscape. I think some long jungle vals would add a natural look to it. As well as growing some algae (i know thats taboo) but leave the lights on 24/7 while cycling, and add a little fert. Just clean the glass, but let the rocks and wood grow a nice patena of algae on them

Would be a very natural look
Hardy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

looks good!
there is a little spot in the center where there is a break i nthe rock pattern
i'd shift some of the rocks more left, and the rocks o nthe ridhe more right so its more of clusters.. this will give you more room to plant, and daw the eye towards whatever you plant there
Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 AM   #22
TopShelf_Symbiosis
Algae Grower

Looks very natural to me. The round rocks are a nice touch. Can't wait to see it planted
TopShelf_Symbiosis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

I filled the tank with water yesterday and started a fishless cycle! I had to temporarily move two large rocks to help weigh the large wood down as it wanted to float. It's not as pretty, but they'll stay like that as the tank cycles and hopefully the wood will be waterlogged in a few weeks. Otherwise I'll probably have to tie it down with slate.

The cut edge is also no longer buried since the wood wants to float. I think I need to add more substrate to help cover that spot. Any suggestions on the best way to add sand to a tank already filled without making a huge mess?

I'm totally open to plant suggestions! I was planning on trying anything I could get my hands on to see what I like and what does well in this tank, but I really like the idea of jungle vals in the back corners to create a valley-style composition.

This is a low-med light set-up without c02, by the way. I'm prepared to cut down the PAR on my light with window screen if necessary as I don't want to get into c02 yet, but that will limit my plant options.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
ownedbycats
Algae Grower

Vals for the back sound good, although I had trouble with jungle vals in low light but corkscrew vals did well in the same conditions. Red ludwigia would also look nice and grows well in low light after the initial adjustment period. (Will shed all the old leaves and then grow new ones). That would give you a stem plant to balance any slow growers.
Also, Windelov java fern. Makes a good middle ground plant once it starts growing and makes a nice bushy plant. Does well in both my medium light tank and extreme low light tank.
Think about adding some moss to the straight up section of the driftwood, with a Windelov fern growing out of the middle of it, so the moss covers the wood from ground to top, and the fern stretches left along the branch.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #25
lullafishi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Vals for the back sound good, although I had trouble with jungle vals in low light but corkscrew vals did well in the same conditions. Red ludwigia would also look nice and grows well in low light after the initial adjustment period. (Will shed all the old leaves and then grow new ones). That would give you a stem plant to balance any slow growers.
Also, Windelov java fern. Makes a good middle ground plant once it starts growing and makes a nice bushy plant. Does well in both my medium light tank and extreme low light tank.
Think about adding some moss to the straight up section of the driftwood, with a Windelov fern growing out of the middle of it, so the moss covers the wood from ground to top, and the fern stretches left along the branch.
Thanks for all the plant ideas! I bought a big plant package from a member that came in the other day, so now I have around 12 species of stem plants to try out. Planting day is tomorrow!

I want to get my hands on some moss for the wood yet. And I still really like the idea of jungle vals.... I may have to try them and cross my fingers.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #26
Farmer
Planted Member

hmmm.

Well I liked the first scape (minus the front left and I agree with you the back left could have been a bit less even).

Now I'm not so sure I like it. You had close to a designer tank and now IMO a mess. But that's just my opinion.

If it were me I'd go back. I know this is plantedtank but I wouldn't plant much at all. maybe a val or two in the right location.

It is very natural to have all these different types of rocks all in the one place, I don't see a problem with it. It's harder to scape with smooth stones but I think you did it well.

Anyway. That's my two cents.

Linds
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aquascape, hardscape, lake michigan, lake superior, rocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.