Hi--new to plants....some suggestions??? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-08-2003, 11:23 PM   #16
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Hi Mud,

I use sand in all my substrates. A 75/25 mix with a quality substrate like either Eco-Complete or Flourite will be an excellent base for any plants you want to grow. The best thing to do is lay down a couple inches of the "good" stuff and then cap it off with an inch or so of sand.
The sand is gonna settle in with time anyways so if you want to keep it fresh looking you just top it off again after planting.

Its funny you should mention Emporor Tetra's and low light plants... --->Is This What You Are Talking About ?
This tank only had a 25watt "incandescent" bulb but it was the easiest tank I ever did !
All I did was change water and feed the fish... every now and then I would add a little Flourish for the plants.

Its a great learning tank to setup and I will guarantee that you will enjoy the tank. This also may help you out a bit as well since you are ready to take the leap into the most addictive hobby in the world !

The Basics Of Planted Tanks

Depending on where you live some of the members here may even be able to hook you up with some low light plants and clippings to try...

Old 12-09-2003, 01:35 PM   #17
Mudkicker
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi

i live in Montreal, Canada.

i must agree with you that Fishkeeping IS the most addicitive hobby in the world. i have been keeping Malawians for well over 6 years now and the more tome passes, the into the hobby i become. i have spent loads of time and money on the hobby but it is very rewarding.

thanks for the links.
how do the Emperors fare as a pair? i understand that they do better in schools.

thanks
Mud
Mudkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 01:24 AM   #18
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

I would get 4 minimum... he beat up on her at times when they were by themselves. I would love to do a tank with nothing but Emporors but they are hard to come by around me and expensive when they have them. :evil: