Veggies in ripariums- ideas?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 05-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
gabysapha
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Veggies in ripariums- ideas?

I have several open-top tanks that have chicken wire laid across the top, with holes cut out to fit anthuriums, peace lillies, begonias, philodendrons...

I stuck basil clippings into the mix and they are growing well. Any other ideas on what might grow in this set up? Sage, parsley, lettuce, peas, eggplant...?
gabysapha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I would think that most veggies would grow well since most love water and don't mind their feet wet. Personally I like peppers, so try peppers? I think maybe a vining plant could be pretty cool; something like cucumbers or something like that. Tomatoes would be cool, just make sure none of your inhabitants pick at any part of it since the entire plant is toxic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysapha View Post
I have several open-top tanks that have chicken wire laid across the top, with holes cut out to fit anthuriums, peace lillies, begonias, philodendrons...

I stuck basil clippings into the mix and they are growing well. Any other ideas on what might grow in this set up? Sage, parsley, lettuce, peas, eggplant...?
PunknDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
gabysapha
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunknDestroy View Post
I would think that most veggies would grow well since most love water and don't mind their feet wet. Personally I like peppers, so try peppers? I think maybe a vining plant could be pretty cool; something like cucumbers or something like that. Tomatoes would be cool, just make sure none of your inhabitants pick at any part of it since the entire plant is toxic.
Ooo good point, tomatoes are toxic. This tank is a shrimp tank so I'll try the other veggies. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

PTrader: (16/100%)

What will your nutrient source be?
If you arent already aware of aquaponics, I highly recommend you tailor the setup accordingly. My tilapia provide me with plenty of fresh (organic) fruits and veggies, and I harvest/eat both!

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've always wanted to try a large set up like that. I hear tilapia are good for that. I'd like to see some pictures of that set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
If you arent already aware of aquaponics, I highly recommend you tailor the setup accordingly. My tilapia provide me with plenty of fresh (organic) fruits and veggies, and I harvest/eat both!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
gabysapha
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
Well, I can't raise tilapia in my studio apartment in the city
Old 05-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

PTrader: (16/100%)

You can use any fish, goldfish and koi work great for smaller systems, they create a lot of ammonia (which is broken down into nutrients via the magical nitrogen cycle).

Here is my small condo setup

Either way, for fruiting plants like tomato and pepper, you'll need a consistent nutrient source.

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
gabysapha
Planted Member

I'll try some more leafy greens and report back. I'll be very pleased to grow all my usual herbs in the shrimp tank! How convenient.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
bbroush
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Veggies in ripariums- ideas?

How are you growing the herbs? Can you give pictures of your set up?
bbroush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
vincenz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (54/100%)

This is great. Might give this a whirl just for kicks in my next set-up...

The Spawning Pool-- 75g shallow square DECOMMISSIONED

Three Worlds-- 4g triple sphere DECOMMISSIONED
vincenz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would assume they're being suspended over the water by the chicken wire with just the roots in the actual water. Quite an easy set up actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbroush View Post
How are you growing the herbs? Can you give pictures of your set up?
Old 05-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
gabysapha
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunknDestroy View Post
I would assume they're being suspended over the water by the chicken wire with just the roots in the actual water. Quite an easy set up actually.
Yes, that is correct. I just cut chicken wire to fit the size of the top of the aquarium. I removed the hood and cover of the aquarium and laid the mesh on top. That's it!

I brought the water level up quite high, and cut some holes in the chicken wire so that the larger root systems on my peace lillies and anthuriums can fit. Other than that I just stuck basil and philodendron and begonia stems through the holes in the wire. The wire holds the stems up and the roots are suspended in the water beneath. I also stuffed my HOB filter to the max with peace lillies and forget-me-nots. It's super easy, super cheap, not exactly pretty but you can't see the chicken wire under all the foliage anyway!!

I'm a new college graduate with no money to spend on Hydrophyte's awesome riparium stuff, so I did what I could. So far it works. And I can pick up the entire piece of chicken wire with all the stems still in it also. It made it easy to move out of my old apartment this way.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
bbroush
Algae Grower

show pics? That is awesome, I am buying some planters from hydrophyte, but I may do that in a section of my tank. I am actually growing Pothos Vine right now just in the corners without anything holding them up really, my issue is Pothos Vine grows SOOOOOO many roots and my wife thinks the roots are ugly
Old 05-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (138/100%)

This kind of growing is more like aquaponics than a riparium. You can grow lots of kinds of plants with their roots suspended in water or in an ebb-and-flow kind of setup, but for ripariums it's best to use true marginal aquatic plants. The substrate in the riparium planters is dense and oxygen-poor and the only plants that grow very well like that are aquatics adapted to root in permanently-wet mud.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #15
bbroush
Algae Grower

ahhh... good to know, it was funny I told my wife this morning that I could grow basil out of our fish tank and she said " But I don't want it to be gross b/c of fish poop, I'd never put that on pasta" I then explained to her that most fertilizer has an element of poo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.