Why do I have BGA at a certain place?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 08-11-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
istellas
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

Why do I have BGA at a certain place?

Hi all,
I would like to ask you something that has to do with BGA. In my discus aquarium (which I will describe below) I have a spot of 5 cm length and 0.5 cm width BGA on a particular place on my gravel. This place is between the glass and the gravel. Actually it doesn't bother me cleaning it once every 2 weeks but I was wondering why do I get that spot of BGA at this exact place.
My aquarium is 1.5m length, 50 cm width, 70 cm height. Upon the startup I used Sera floredepot, Aq. Pharmaceuticals Pure Laterite and then 4 cm of neutral gravel. All the plants go very well. The lighting I have is: 2 T5 Arcadia Plant pro 54W each for 12 hours and 1 Osram 54W/865 (54W, 6500 K) for 5-6 hours per day. For filtration I use a sump of 110 lt with 2 Eheim 1260 (2400 lt/h each). The circulation I have is about 3000-3500 lt/h through an overflow tower. I use presurized CO2 with pH controller. For fertilisation I use Seachem Flourish with a liquidoser, and KNO3 for nitrates, K2HPO4 for PO4, Hobby-dose Iron. I keep the nitrates at a level of ~20 ppm, PO4 at ~0.5-1 ppm, Fe at ~0.5 ppm.
I do not have any problems with my plants growing and flowering at all. I have Anubias barteri var. barteri, Anubias barteri var.nana, Anubias heterophylla, Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae, Cryptocoryne wendtii "brown", Cryptocoryne wendtii "green", Echinodorus bleheri, Eusteralis stellata (Pogostemon stellata), Ludwigia repens "Rubin", Nymphaea lotus (zenkeri), Sagittaria subulata, Vallisneria americana (natans), Vesicularia dubyana (java moss).
Do you have an idea of why do I have that BGA at this particullary spot? Is it possible that I do not have enough circulation at that place? My NO3s are ok, don't you think?

Thanx
Eheim Pimp Club #158

istellas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
istellas
Algae Grower

Το show you the place I have the BGA, I have put it in a red circle at the following photo.
Eheim Pimp Club #158

Old 08-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

This occurs quite often, BGA at the gravel line. It is probably caused by a combination of things, lack of circulation like you mentioned, also deposit of "stuff" (detritus) in that area if the circulation in your tank is pointed towards the center/front. With the glass being right there it gets some light and even less circulation.

You could give it a good stirring/vaccuuming once in a while, or, if you want to wipe it out to prevent spreading all over your tank, get some Erythromycin tablets and stick them into that area... it will kill the BGA in two or three days.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

Light from windows also will allow it to grow.

Why not slope the gravel up towards the back and then you will not see it?
Vacuum that entire area good also.
Does food fall into that spot?

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 08-12-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
istellas
Algae Grower

Thanx for your answers

Plantbrain:
The aquarium is far away from the windows, so light doesn't fall into that spot. I'll vacuum the entire area (at the glass) today.
Most of the food (80%) falls at the left corner of the aquarium, because I have put there the automatic feeder, so at that spot I couldn't say that I have food left.

Wasserpest:
Because I live in Greece and is the first time I hear about erythromycin (as an aquarium product), could you please tell me if there is any aquarium product in tablets (like API, Seachem, Sera e.t.c.) which contains that stuff, or should I try finding at a pharmacy store?

Thanx again all.
Eheim Pimp Club #158

Old 08-12-2006, 08:07 AM   #6
istellas
Algae Grower

I asked at the pharmacy store and told me that erythromycin is an antibiotic in capsules. Should I use these capsules? Should I put one or more? Does it affect fishes like plecos and ancistrus?

Thanx
Eheim Pimp Club #158

Old 08-12-2006, 05:39 PM   #7
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

There are a couple of products made for aquarium use which contain Erythromycin.

Most widely known, and most expensive, Maracyn from Mardel. There is also Maracyn II which is not recommended for this treatment.

API has a similar product called EM tablets, a little cheaper than Maracyn.

Both come in 200mg tablets. For spot treatment, you don't need very many of them. You could just break 2 or 3 tablets in half and bury them right there where the affected areas are.

This won't hurt any of your fish. If you do only local treatment it is well below any recommended dose for full tank treatment.

Not sure about the capsules from the pharmacy, if they contain powder I think it wouldn't work.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2006, 05:45 PM   #8
LS6 Tommy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have used the EM tablets at 1/2 ecommended dosage to get rid of some BGA in my tank. It works well and has not seemed to be detrimental to any of my plants, fish or inverts.

Tommy
LS6 Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #9
istellas
Algae Grower

Thank you everybody, I 'll try to find API tablets because Mardel is an unknown company here in Greece
Eheim Pimp Club #158

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.