Tiger Barbs
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-06-2003, 08:31 PM   #1
mattrmiller
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

My brother was thinking about starting a 29 or 30 maybe 40 gallon. He really likes tiger barbs, but he asked me for more information. I have done some research and found that they can be snippy in smaller schools. So here are my questions to the experts, since I have had no experience with them.

1) Are they compatible with other fish that he wants to do ex) small neons, loaches, cory's, etc?

2) What is a good school for a 29 gallon, if you have around 6 other tank mates of another type of fish?

3) Can the albino tiger barbs be mixed in the same school as regular barbs?

4) Anything else I should know about tiger barbs, that I could pass on to him.

Thank you.
mattrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2003, 06:11 PM   #2
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

matt, I would avoid fish with long, flowing fins, like bettas or guppies with tiger barbs. some also warn against gouramis, which can be pretty mean in their own way.
I have a 29gallon myself, and keep a minimum of 6 green tiger barbs in there. 6 is the minimum for a good schooling size. I have 2 albino tigers that I just added, and yes they school together. You should be able to mix the greens, normals and albinos without problems, just try to get them all about the same size. I started with 8 greens, and the 2 smallest were killed over thanksgiving..and the remaining runt looks like he's not eating much.

I have rummy nose tetra (4), lemon tetra (6) yo-yo loaches (3) and 4 cory cats in my tank, and things are pretty harmonious. I did add 2 opaline gourami, and they only seem to bother each other.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 06:35 PM   #3
NyCzBuBba
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NyCzBuBba

I'm not to fond of tiger barbs. I think they are medium aggresive I've seen them pick on fish(but alot of fish tend to)This is just my opinion. I feel having tetras,rasboras, are pretty cool. I even like Danios. I don't know what kind of look you are going with the tank. But having Mixed schools like albino,green,and normal doesn't seem to "Natural" to me.
To answer your question
1.tiger barbs are compatible with most fish.
2.For a 29 gallon I suggest harlequin rasboras maybe 10-15 of them definitly one of the better schoolers.
3.Yes albino's can be mixed with other tiger barbs
NyCzBuBba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:55 PM   #4
Pete
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to Pete

I have a tank setup just for barbs i have 6 green barbs and 6 black ruby barbs, i also have harlequin tetras and scissor tails as tank mates, and 3 albino cory cats and everythin is workin great. My setup is a 29 gal tank with plenty of lava rock with holes in and they love it, they tend to play alot but dont do any physical damage to anythin. Like the other posts suggest dont keep them with long finned fish :lol:
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 03:49 AM   #5
blk
Algae Grower

Tiger barbs are one of my favorites. I have a school of 13 tiger barbs in my planted 55 gal tank. They are very lively and playful, and lots of fun to watch. The males are particularly boisterous, and are constantly chasing each other around the tank. They also do this thing where they square off nose to nose and swim really fast in a circle. I also like their blaze orange nose and fin tips. I keep them with clown loaches, bala sharks, and various algae eaters (ottos, false SEA's, and a pleco) and haven't had any major trouble. They seem to be most interested in chasing other tiger barbs, so keep at least six or so. Also, they are fast swimmers, so avoid mixing with slow moving fish, or fish with long flowing fins. Good luck!
blk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:15 AM   #6
kayye

blk, how many clown loaches do you have with your tiger barbs? i have 6 tiger barbs and would like to get clown loaches. i only have a 5 gallon tank.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:52 AM   #7
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I had a tank with tiger barbs and rosy barbs and a couple black ruby barbs. Talk about non stop action.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 02:18 AM   #8
blk
Algae Grower

Hello Kayye,

Well, for a 5 gallon tank you've already got more than enough fish with the tiger barbs alone. The rule of thumb is that each gallon can support approximately one inch of fish. Your barbs will eventually get to be up to 2 inches long each, putting you at 12" total. So it already looks like you are headed for space trouble. If you want to keep other fish, especially a species that gets big like clown loaches, you'll definitely need a bigger tank. It might be tempting to cheat on the space rule and pack more in, but it's not a good idea. Clown loaches can get to be very large. I've seen max sizes quoted in the range of 12-18 inches. My biggest clown is 6" long and he's only about a year old. Get yourself a really big tank if you want to get into clown loaches. Twenty gallons is probably the smallest that would work, and bigger is better.

Brant
Old 02-18-2004, 10:09 AM   #9
kayye

Hey, thanks a lot!
Old 02-18-2004, 11:55 PM   #10
Mustang5L5
Algae Grower

I keep 9 in my 40 gallon.

They make the tank more interesting to watch especially when the convicts just sit around and don't do much
Old 02-19-2004, 03:09 AM   #11
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk
Your barbs will eventually get to be up to 2 inches long each, putting you at 12" total.
Three inches long each.
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 01:42 PM   #12
blk
Algae Grower

I've seen the 3" long statistic quoted lots of times, but do tiger barbs ever actually get that big in an aquarium? Mine seem to have maxed out at about 2". It would be cool to have 3" tiger barbs.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:00 PM   #13
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

2.5" is the largest I've seen. Very deep bodied, too--almost discus-like!
2la is offline   Reply With Quote