Gsa & Po4 @ 3??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 08-08-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
Sven
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Gsa & Po4 @ 3??

Ive been pestered by GSA for a long time, following the advice given here Ive been dosing po4, which is at 2,5 to 3 consistantly and I have pressurized CO2 @ about 1,5bps. Ph is 6,2 and Kh is 50ppm (co2 =53ppm?)
Should I be adding more po4??
Eheim pimp #127.
600 ltr (160g) planted tank. Pressurized CO2, Eheim 2260 & Sacem Marathon 2000, 156W T5.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
bigstick120
Algae Eater

PTrader: (243/100%)

What size tank? How much PO4 are you dosing and what are you adding. Dont rely on test kits, chances are they are wrong if you are still seeing GS then you may need to add more PO4
bigstick120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2006, 12:52 AM   #3
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (253/100%)

PO4 can be estimated easily using a dosign calculator.
CO2 is more tricky to get preciselty measures, you should add a bit more CO2 slowly and note fish/plant health.

Key word: slowly

GSA is present when you don't does well and when you stop dosing PO4 and alos low CO2 is the other issue(and leads to other algae issues for that matter also).

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 08-09-2006, 08:26 AM   #4
Sven
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thank you for your replies, tank is 55g and Im dosing about 1/8tsp po4 3 times a week. Would it be safe to increase po4 to 1/4 tsp 3 times a week?
Ill be slowly increasing my co2, how long do I need to wait between increases in the co2
Eheim pimp #127.
600 ltr (160g) planted tank. Pressurized CO2, Eheim 2260 & Sacem Marathon 2000, 156W T5.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

When I decided to raise my CO2 bubble rate and ignore the pH/KH tables I took about a month doing it. I would raise it a bit every two or three days, then watch what was happening in the tank. At that time I was having a hard time keeping BBA from growing on my plants, so I was watching to see if the CO2 was high enough so no more was starting up. Of course I kept an eye on the fish at the same time. I hit the bubble rate where the BBA stopped growing new spots on the plants before the fish ever seemed unhappy so I left the bubble rate alone after that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.