37g Tall Lighting recommendation?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
Nightspell
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

37g Tall Lighting recommendation?

Hi folks, been lurking for a while, first post. I've had a 37g tall (formerly) Eclipse tank. Until it crapped out on me some time ago, it had worked adequately, but I'm now moving on from the Eclipse system in hopes of a better planted tank. I have a Fluval 306 arriving tomorrow and am now considering lighting. My tank dimensions are 30"W x 24"T x 12"D. I previously had it set up with "lucky" bamboo, which I found to be aesthetically acceptable if nothing else. Otherwise sparsely populated with small plants. No CO2 or anything fancy, although I am considering the idea. I was limited in my lighting options by the restrictions of the Eclipse hood, but since I am abandoning it now I am trying to figure out my options. I would LOVE an LED solution, but am not optimistic due to the depth of the tank. This tank is first and foremost home to my 3 clown loaches, all about 12 years old and like dogs to me and my wife at this point, and previously to our numerous Amano shrimp which will be replaced at the earliest opportunity. Aside from that a goby or two. Plantwise, I would LOVE to have a carpet of short grass or moss. BUT what I want and can have are often 2 conflicting fantasies so I thought I'd ask what others think can be achieved given my circumstances. Would the mosses do well with lighting so far away? Would an LED system be adequate? For a green carpet, would I need CO2? I have about 2.5 to 3" of Flourite as substrate, been in there for... god 9 years or so, but the stuff I plant in it seems to do alright. I never have in the past but plan to try fertilizing. Any and all guidance or suggestion would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
Nightspell is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Nightspell
Planted Tank Obsessed

OK, no cream...
Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
K8xp
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm no expert, but have a Finnex Fugeray LED for the high end of low light (19" above substrate) and I'm happy with it thus far. Look into the Finnex Ray 2 LED. It is for high light, and have heard it can grow carpet plants well. Co2 is required with the Ray 2 I believe...

Oh, and PS if you didn't find out before, that lucky bamboo isn't fully aquatic. I found out too after buying it submerged at Petco > so now it's stickin out of my HOB filter
Old 05-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
syzygy9
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

At 21" from light to substrate a Ray2 will give approx 30Par (right on the fringe of low and medium light), but that would not be enough for a carpet in my opinion.

Plants tend to grow taller in response to less light and stay short and spread out when light is abundant.

With two Ray2's you might have enough light to grow a carpet and I believe you would need CO2 to keep things in balance. The carpet itself does not necessarily require the CO2. It's more of an indirect need caused by the amount of light required to get there. Hopefully that made sense.

There are single fixture LED options (typically designed more for reefs) that are powerful enough to get you to high light at your depth, but they are pricy.
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Nightspell
Planted Tank Obsessed

K8XP - Good to hear your recommendation for the Ray 2; I just ordered one last night lol. Yeah I usually had to replace the bamboo about ever 6 months or so, but had some last over a year.

syzygy9 - I'm thinking I'll start off with the single Ray 2 while I piece together a CO2 system, and once I get that finished and functioning, start looking into a supplemental single fixture -- or perhaps just another Ray 2 if the single fixtures are terribly expensive.

Good info, thanks guys!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Nightspell
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alright, so an update:

I now have a Finnex Ray2 about 20-22" above substrate on my 37g tall (30"w) with a nice custom CO2 system from BettaTail. My drop checker came in a few days ago so I'm slowly increasing the CO2, drop checker seems to pretty much stay green, has never turned yellow but never turns blue despite an airstone running 16 hours a day... (odd; may just be my PH, still trying to work out my water perameters). Started EI fertilization on Sunday. The algae issue that was ramping up has slowed considerably if not stopped. At the moment I only have plugs of HC struggling against luck and the fish plucking it out, but they look like they're starting to produce some nice new green growth finally; hopefully they'll really start to take hold here soon. I'm now wondering if my single Ray2 is adequate, or if I should add another Ray2 or possibly a Fugeray. Would that be TOO much light at 22"?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
dex14
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightspell View Post
Hi folks, been lurking for a while, first post. I've had a 37g tall (formerly) Eclipse tank. Until it crapped out on me some time ago, it had worked adequately, but I'm now moving on from the Eclipse system in hopes of a better planted tank. I have a Fluval 306 arriving tomorrow and am now considering lighting. My tank dimensions are 30"W x 24"T x 12"D. I previously had it set up with "lucky" bamboo, which I found to be aesthetically acceptable if nothing else. Otherwise sparsely populated with small plants. No CO2 or anything fancy, although I am considering the idea. I was limited in my lighting options by the restrictions of the Eclipse hood, but since I am abandoning it now I am trying to figure out my options. I would LOVE an LED solution, but am not optimistic due to the depth of the tank. This tank is first and foremost home to my 3 clown loaches, all about 12 years old and like dogs to me and my wife at this point, and previously to our numerous Amano shrimp which will be replaced at the earliest opportunity. Aside from that a goby or two. Plantwise, I would LOVE to have a carpet of short grass or moss. BUT what I want and can have are often 2 conflicting fantasies so I thought I'd ask what others think can be achieved given my circumstances. Would the mosses do well with lighting so far away? Would an LED system be adequate? For a green carpet, would I need CO2? I have about 2.5 to 3" of Flourite as substrate, been in there for... god 9 years or so, but the stuff I plant in it seems to do alright. I never have in the past but plan to try fertilizing. Any and all guidance or suggestion would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
I also have a 37 high. I just purchased a Zoo med 30" dual lamp fixture. It is bright enough imo. It has 2 22" lamps at 22 watts a piece, I have a flora sun and ultrasun at 5000 and 6500k. I have low-mid light plants in my tank, anubias, swords, wisteria and hornwort. They all really perked up when I put this fixture on after I replaced my stock Marineland led hood. As for carpet try java moss. I did a search and everyone said it will grow in almost no light. The brighter the light the brighter the green the moss will get.
dex14 is offline   Reply With Quote