Superior Branch Dirted 20L - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #16
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
They're not the WORST bulbs you can get and they certainly won't cause any harm. The GE bulbs just put out more par and cost alot less and the giesemann bulbs, while are fairly expensive are great looking as well. It's one of those things that you don't really notice until bulb change time. I'm a big fan of the "colormax" or the otherwise pink bulb. I think it does alot for the look of things. Not sure of its value to actual growing
I am a fan of the colormax as well because it really makes reds pop, but after some research I found the spectrum of the colormax bulb doesn't do much for plants at all which makes it difficult to calculate the par on a tank.
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 AM   #17
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

While I am making MTS and modifying my stand stand. I am also trying to decide on a scape. There are so many to choose from which makes it hard to decide. I know for sure that I want to do the follow things:

1. Create a Dramatic Effect
2. Moss of DW
3. DSM HC or DHG or Both

I've been looking at other tanks here in journal sections and found some really good ideas. Getting excited
Old 05-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #18
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
They're not the WORST bulbs you can get and they certainly won't cause any harm. The GE bulbs just put out more par and cost alot less and the giesemann bulbs, while are fairly expensive are great looking as well. It's one of those things that you don't really notice until bulb change time. I'm a big fan of the "colormax" or the otherwise pink bulb. I think it does alot for the look of things. Not sure of its value to actual growing
I had Giesmann bulbs on my 20g low-tech tank for a short while and it was the ONLY time in 1.5 years with this tank that I have seen my plants pearling. I eventually switched to Finnex LED's to save on energy costs. But yeah, that is why I would definitely try the Giesmann bulbs, or the GE Starcoat.

Also, in my sig I have a journal of my Mini-M that has java moss on a big piece of driftwood. It grows very well and next time I do a trim, I could send some your way if you want.
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #19
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN1986 View Post
I had Giesmann bulbs on my 20g low-tech tank for a short while and it was the ONLY time in 1.5 years with this tank that I have seen my plants pearling. I eventually switched to Finnex LED's to save on energy costs. But yeah, that is why I would definitely try the Giesmann bulbs, or the GE Starcoat.

Also, in my sig I have a journal of my Mini-M that has java moss on a big piece of driftwood. It grows very well and next time I do a trim, I could send some your way if you want.
That is a nice setup bro, and that moss is killer! Yes, I'm looking to get that kind of effect in my 20L here. It's all about planning! I actually just ordered some moss from Aquatic Magic but I appreciate your offer. If it arrives bad, I will let ya know. Thanks.

Right now, I am debating on these lights... I think I will start out with what I got and go from there.

According to Hoppy's Chart:

With a Coralife 2 bulb my PAR will be in the 40-50 range given that my distance is between 13-15" range; however, I'm just not sure how to figure for the colormax bulb. I'm thinking the colormax bulb to put out less PAR meaning I will have to get the distance shorter to get the same effect as 2 regular 6,500K bulbs. Might be wrong but in the end, I will just have to wing it. Remembering 50PAR or more is high light. I think I will want to stay on the higher end of medium light...

I have lots of time because I plant to DSM for a month or 2 so it's all good

Tomorrow, I plan on modifying my stand. I think I have decided to replace the trim, caulk the cracks, and then sand prime and paint black. I also have to fix the door because it sticks. Fun, fun, fun

Last edited by tylergvolk; 05-25-2013 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: Added Content
Old 05-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #20
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

I've learned that the soil will mineralize during the dsm so technically I don't need to MTS. For now, I will continue the process until I'm ready to DSM.

To Do List:

1. Modify Stand
2. Decide on Scape
3. Get Driftwood, Rocks, and Plants

I'm excited because this bit of information just saved me 1 months time. I'm going to focus on my scape now.

Stay Tuned
Old 05-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #21
ernest
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

folllowing your post
nice starting
ernest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:59 AM   #22
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Today, I saw an advertisement on CL for a Eheim 2213 canister with a bad propeller and no filter media for only $10.

I'm like SOLD! I drove 30min. to pick it up. I got it home and sure enough it had a bad propeller. With the advice of a member here on TPT, I swapped propellers from my working Eheim and it worked great.

Soon, I will order a new propeller, outtake pipe, filter media, and I'm all set.

God I love it when I find a steal-of-a-deal.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #23
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Today, I stopped at Gertens and took a look around their rock yard. I found this awesome rock called Mesabi Red Rock. This rock is from the iron range of northern Minnesota by Lake Superior.

I'm betting that it isn't aquarium safe, but I purchased 108lbs. of it anyways because it was so cool. I figured that if it won't go in my aquarium, then I will put it around my house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	149210

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	149202

Mesabi Red Rock: Gertens 108lbs $15
Old 05-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #24
zankotsu
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I bet the shipping on that rock was killer D:
zankotsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #25
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

You should try stacking some of those stones like in this thread:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...738&highlight=
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #26
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN1986 View Post
You should try stacking some of those stones like in this thread:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...738&highlight=
Not a bad idea. I love how he created all that depth with that layout.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #27
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

I'm starting to get excited! One more coat of paint and my stand modification will be complete.

It's looking really nice compared to what it looked like when I bought it.

I will post the before an after pictures once its complete. The difference is like night and day! WOW, its really turning out nicer than I thought.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #28
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Default Stand Complete

I've complete the modifications to my stand and here is what I did.

1. Added Trim
2. Removed Shelving
3. Filled Cracks/Holes
4. Painted Black
5. Added Hardware

Before:

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	150074

After:

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	150082

The Result:

Basically, this piece of furniture is still an old dinged up ratty aquarium stand, but I made it look more expensive by doing a very few cheap modification and not spending a hole lot of time on it. If you look closely you will see the trim on the top and the bottom. I would have preferred to use a paint with less of a sheen, but the hardware store only had satin so I went with that.

Anyways, this is my result. The basic structure is the same. The only real change I made was the removal of the shelving so I can fit my goodies inside the cabinet.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #29
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

MTS Cycle 2 Complete...

I haven't decided on a scape yet, but I am determined to challenge myself in order to create my best work to date.

I am having a very hard time finding my own DW.

I will do a vinegar test on Mesabi Red Rock I got. I hesitate to use them because of all the iron in them. I wonder if there is a way to see how much iron they leach. I having found much online about this. Most people say just don't use them.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #30
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

I found some DW today and collected a bunch of it. Soon, I'll start figuring my scape. Maybe I will post a couple scenarios and grab some feedback from you guys.