Bedroom tank, Mr Aqua 6gal long
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-07-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
jeffie7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Bedroom tank, Mr Aqua 6gal long

I'm putting together another fish tank/medical device aka Tinnitus masker. Problem is our house is modern and I have zero desire to place any stands on the floor. I've been searching and searching for some type of floating shelf that can support weight and looks modern, sadly all the normal wooden floating shelves hardly hold anything. We have 3 in our hallway and they are flexing with very little weight on them.

The other problem is I need to have a place to store some bottles for CO2 and other basic items. What I finally found and only after my 3rd visit to Ikea and 10 other stores, was a pink cabinet that would work perfectly! GRRRR couldn't find it in black. I noticed another cabinet on the other side of ikea that was different than the pink one but in black, sure enough it was the same cabinet frame, so wrote that number down but had no luck finding the matching door in their show room, good luck asking anyone either, so I walked around in the warehouse checking box after box until I found it. yay! finally, my project is moving forward!

Mounted to 2 studs, also have the holes ready to go for the lag bolts

Added a piece of wood to the back of the cabinet to fill the void between the back and the wall.

6 inch L brackets, used 3, 1 inch screws to bolt it to the underside of the top of the cabinet. Use 2, 3.5 inch lag bolts for the studs for each bracket.

Final product, for chits and giggles, I grabbed onto the cabinet and lifted myself up, it was able to fully support my weight. I'm estimating the tank to come in around 100lbs.

So the goal for the tank was to first find a stand, then base the tank off the stand, or in my case, the cabinet. I really wanted an ADA tank but they didn't offer anything sized correctly, however the Mr Aqua (yes I know the glass is greenish...) fits perfectly length wise. it should give me that nice floating look I'm aiming for.

So far I've ordered.

Mr Aqua 6.5 gallon long tank
Co2 diffuser, if DIY can't push it, I'll add a ladder.
lines/fittings for building a Co2 system (currently run a diy with good results)
Azoo mini HOB filter
Current USA Ramp timer
Current USA 18-24" plus LED light
Whisper 10 air pump
No name Drop checker

Still on my list to buy.

Substrate, wood/branches, plants, CGFI outlet, timing for air pump.

My concerns so far is fitting the tank with, hob filter, and LED light since I have limited space. Worse case I'll go with a canister filter, however I'm aiming for water noise to help wash out the Tinnitus, currently I sleep with a noise program of low volume rain sound.

I'll post some updates once all my stuff comes in, I'm hoping to maybe start the tank this weekend if I'm able to get the plants in time.

Speaking of plants, what is a good online source for them? So far I've always bought stuff from my local pet store. which is what I'll most likely do again.
jeffie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2014, 03:37 AM   #2
eat2muchrice
Algae Grower

Nice job on reinforcing that cabinet. For a bedroom tank Id recommend a quieter air pump. I sleep next to my tank that has a whisper, they are not quiet. Mine is suck into a pickle jar that is wrapped in car stereo sound dampening material, inside a sound insulated cabinet and still I can hear the thing buzzing away (34db). Today I just received my new pump, (aPUMP) made by collar, they say its the worlds quietest pump (35db), plugged it in and it seems pretty quiet. My hope is with my pickle jar and cabinet it will be completely silent. Also airstones make a lot of sound, the only way Ive made these quiet is to bury them into the gravel. Good luck with your project.
eat2muchrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:05 AM   #3
jeffie7
Algae Grower

Normally I'd agree with the sound in a bedroom but I'm aiming for some sound. The air pump might not be needed since I'm diy co2. With my 6g edge tank I added a pump since the co2 gets tapped and my fish were not happy about it. With the long open top tank I might not be able to get enough co2 in to even need the pump. If that's the case I'll replace my cheap Walmart lump on the edge with the whisper and skip the pump all together on the mr Aqua
Old 10-07-2014, 04:27 AM   #4
eat2muchrice
Algae Grower

I don’t think I even need an air pump, but I like bubbles and the thought that my fish have more oxygen. My timer shuts off at 12pm and start back up at 4am, that way it is dead quiet for me to fall asleep. I’m one of those light sleepers that will hunt down a mosquito for buzzing around me. As for buying plants online check out the trade section here.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:58 AM   #5
jeffie7
Algae Grower

All of my main items came in. Now it's just a matter of buying the rocks/wood/plants. We forgot about a party we were invited to that just so happens to be 90 minutes away so tomorrow is pretty much a wash, maybe I'll get to it Sunday? hmmmm maybe...

Not a bad fit...

Testing the tank before I invest any time into it.

Working on getting another CO2 generator up and running so if the tank goes live Sunday I'll have CO2 to pump in. made threads on the nipple and used a ss wing nut and rubber washer for an air tight seal. Also have a rubber gasket and washer on the top side.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:31 AM   #6
eat2muchrice
Algae Grower

Looking good!
Old 10-13-2014, 02:47 AM   #7
jeffie7
Algae Grower

This weekend was kind of a let down, had time on sunday to setup the tank, go figure, stores didn't have any plants we wanted. I'm planning on using mostly dwarf hair grass, but no one had any. I'm not talking petco/petsmart but the legit LPS, went to 3 different ones. One of them normally stocks it, they just happened to be out =( also need some moss too, but can't start the tank regardless so I skipped it, I'll just order everything online.

Since I couldn't do anything tank wise, I did wire up the cabinet.

Installed the GFCI, drilled out the cabinet for the power cord/co2 lines and cleaned everything up.

Normally with stuff like this I would hard wire the cabinet to the wall, add an outlet inside the cabinet. Sadly the outlet is 1 stud too far over so I would have to open up the wall, drill a hole into one of the studs and fish a new power line though the wall, its an exterior wall too so that means dealing with all the fiberglass that's in the wall. I said screw it, I already have other wires in that area, what's another wire. So I used the power strip.

I plan on getting some more 3m Commend hooks to tidy it up a bit more.

welp, I guess until I get some plants... I'll post another update.

Bump: BTW I noticed one end of the tank has 3 very small black marks in the glass, it looks like the glass is dirty but it's in the glass. =(

Once it has water and plants in the tank I doubt anyone would notice it. Still kinda crappy.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

That is a very cool setup! I love the wall cabinet!

Regarding grass, are you looking to do regular dwarf hair grass, or dwarf hairgrass belem? I ask because I recommend hunting down the belem unless you specifically want the taller one. Regular dwarf hairgrass grows straight up and can get pretty tall, whereas the belem variety bends over, the tips curl back toward the substrate, and it stays quite short.

I think belem would be better in your smaller tank due to size. I have the exact same tank, and I'm starting it up and planting it this Saturday, and I'll be using some belem. I think it'd be really tough to find at any LFS, but you can find it in the sale section here.
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
iadubber
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Very clean! I love the wall mounting!
iadubber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #10
jeffie7
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
That is a very cool setup! I love the wall cabinet!

Regarding grass, are you looking to do regular dwarf hair grass, or dwarf hairgrass belem? I ask because I recommend hunting down the belem unless you specifically want the taller one. Regular dwarf hairgrass grows straight up and can get pretty tall, whereas the belem variety bends over, the tips curl back toward the substrate, and it stays quite short.

I think belem would be better in your smaller tank due to size. I have the exact same tank, and I'm starting it up and planting it this Saturday, and I'll be using some belem. I think it'd be really tough to find at any LFS, but you can find it in the sale section here.
I was thinking regular dwarf hair grass but now I'm going to look at belem. I'm also trying to find pellia for the tree. Only place I saw that has it in stock is either aquariumplants.com or straight from asia.

If I order from aquarium plants we wont get it until next friday =( They have a sunday cutoff for fridays.

I really didn't think tracking down plants would be so hard, our LFS always has tons of plants. but go figure, not the ones we want.

Anyone have any lines on US based pellia? something we might be able to get by the end of this week?

Also open for other moss ideas for the tree, maybe Christmas moss. Either way getting it into our hands seems to be the issue.

I might get the tank going with just dwarf hair grass and baby tears, then 2-3 weeks when the pellia comes in from Asia, add it to the tree. I'll just have a naked tree for awhile.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
jeffie7
Algae Grower

Looks like http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/sh...56-pellia.html has pellia, as with normal dwarf hair grass. Might have to contact them to see what kind of turn around time for shipping.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #12
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie7 View Post
I was thinking regular dwarf hair grass but now I'm going to look at belem. I'm also trying to find pellia for the tree. Only place I saw that has it in stock is either aquariumplants.com or straight from asia.

If I order from aquarium plants we wont get it until next friday =( They have a sunday cutoff for fridays.

I really didn't think tracking down plants would be so hard, our LFS always has tons of plants. but go figure, not the ones we want.

Anyone have any lines on US based pellia? something we might be able to get by the end of this week?

Also open for other moss ideas for the tree, maybe Christmas moss. Either way getting it into our hands seems to be the issue.

I might get the tank going with just dwarf hair grass and baby tears, then 2-3 weeks when the pellia comes in from Asia, add it to the tree. I'll just have a naked tree for awhile.
Seriously, I've only ever had good experiences buying plants on this forum: For Sale/Trade — The Planted Tank Forum

There is a search field right on the page. Putting pellia in there yielded several results. Most people can ship USPS Express, which is 2 days.

Just send the seller a PM. Most people only take PayPal because it's insanely convenient for this.
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
pewpewkittah
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
Seriously, I've only ever had good experiences buying plants on this forum: For Sale/Trade The Planted Tank Forum

There is a search field right on the page. Putting pellia in there yielded several results. Most people can ship USPS Express, which is 2 days.

Just send the seller a PM. Most people only take PayPal because it's insanely convenient for this.
+1
I've personally always received nothing short of great plants from everyone, even after 2-3 days of shipping. I know it doesn't seem logical to pay 6-12$ for shipping, but really every plant I've come across on TPT has been much cheaper then buying at a local store or other website, and usually members are very generous!

This tank design is very cool!! I think you mentioned an iwagumi scape, correct? If so, what type of rocks are you using? I can't wait to see this tank come together. Subscribed .
Old 10-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #14
jeffie7
Algae Grower

I started a WTB thread.

I believe the stone is slate, dark blue flat stones. There's another stone in the mix but I'm not sure what its called, I just rated the local fish stores box of random broken pieces since everything I need is tiny.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #15
jeffie7
Algae Grower

Got some moss and hair grass (belem) coming.

Most rocks are small pieces of rock, but thats my bag-o-rocks.

The tree I think I'm using, I need to size it, it's too big for the tank, hopefully I can figure out a way to cut it down so it still has a good flow to it, if not I'll return it before hacking away at it.

Was just looking at my other tank.

Yay! Hydra showed up. Now I need to treat that, I've never delt with them before but looks like dog de-worming meds is the way to go. Just need to get another tank up and running to move our snails into before treating the tank.

Guess from here on out I'll dip as much stuff as I can. =( Also picking up
Amazon.com : Azoo Razzle Dazzle Tank Combo for Aquarium : Aquarium Supplies : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Azoo Razzle Dazzle Tank Combo for Aquarium : Aquarium Supplies : Pet Supplies

So I can move items around and put new plants into before moving them into our other tanks.

tiny tank but should be large enough for a few nano tank fish/shrimp. Largest fish we have is maybe 1.5 inch long.