FLDs 2gal wallymart project jar
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
FatherLandDescendant
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

FLDs 2gal wallymart project jar

A few weeks ago while cruising through Wal-Mart (here after known as wallymart) early one morning, or late one night depending on oneís outlook, any who I was cruising through the home wares section (what an exciting life I lead huh) and came across a 2 gallon glass jar. A thought crossed my mind that I could plant something in that and wondered if I could keep a beta-fish in it. A few months ago I set up my 40 gallon tank after 4 or 5 years in storage and the first thing my roommate said is ďletís get a beta and put it in thereĒ. Knowing a little about how different betas can be and with no way to re-home him IF he turned out to be a big bully, I convinced my roommate that this was a bad idea, of course over the last few months Iíve had to listen to his moaning ďI wish we could put a beta in there thatíd be cool manĒ (*roll eyes*)

Now I live in a small collage town in Eastern Kentucky, no pet shops here, the closest one is 30 to 45 minutes away so seeing as how Iím at wallymart several times a month (yea yea I know your all jealous of my fast paced small town life style) some of the things for my tank (the 40gal) have come from there. The first time I saw the 2 gallon jar at wallymart I didnít buy it, I was sure I could plant something in it but was unsure as to the viability of it to sustain fish life as well. I came home leaving the jar at the store got on the internet (TPT) and one of the first new threads was this thread http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=603890 (thanks TurtleShark for feeding the monster within me) and I decided to give it a go myself. The only problem was when I went back to wallymart the jar was gone and I could have kicked myself for not buying it when I had the chance.

Fast forward a few weeks now to this past Thursday morning (8/28/14) I once again at wallymart just cruising around the store @ 3am found another 2 gallon jar on the shelf, this time I didnít even hesitate (much to my bank accounts dismay) and I got the only one they had on display. Everything for this project has been acquired from the same wallymart with the exception of the plants that will eventually go into it.

So the set up of ALL wallymart stuff isÖ
2 Gallon glass jar
Tetra Submersible Heater 30-60 (200 watts) (Originally bought for my 40gal tank & repurposed for this project)
Tetra Whisper 1-3gal filter
Aqua Culture Check Valve
Architect Lamp
10 watt CFL Bulb 6500k
Aqua Culture Aquarium Gravel Colorado Small 5lbs

Total overall cost for this project is $74.52 not including future plants and fish, though Iím unsure as to whether or not this jar is going to be a good candidate for viewing fish and plant life. The way it is made inside tends to distort ones view. Iíve had water only in the jar since Thursday night (8/28/14) to test the heater which I know is quite large for the application itís being used for. I put the 5lbs of gravel in Saturday the 30th along with the filter. As a side note, my roommate flipped out last night, the lamp was on ďthis lamp is making the water in the jar boilĒ (WTF)Ö.. He saw the filter bubbles.

I just started today to try getting this jar cycled, I have to use flake food for this as in this Podunk town I cannot find any straight ammonia. Iíd take some substrate from my tank but I donít want to dig yet again in it, I want to leave it alone as much as possible, Iím having a time with brown fuzzy growth that I attribute to stirring up the substrate to much there. Though I do have the cartridge from the Tetra filter it the out flow of my power filter on my main tank. Water testing base line is PH 7, nitrates and nitrites 0 after water has set for 24 hours, no conditioner used, temp is 76.2 (light off) 76.6 (light on). I have a GH/KH test coming it should be here Tuesday 9/2/14.

I still want a small piece of drift wood for this jar; Iíd like to attach some Christmas tree moss to it possibly. I have a crypt that needs separating that I have picked out currently in my main tank, though I do wonder if I could put one of my 3 Anubis in there or would it be too small for it. Other intentions for this jar are EI low light once a week dry dosing with excel dosing as well.

Any suggestions or input is welcome.

FatherLandDescendant is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
jrill
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

OK, gotta ask since I am also in a college town in far eastern ky, which town.
jrill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
FatherLandDescendant
Planted Tank Obsessed

Morehead... Actually I live in Farmers but what's 10 miles and my postal code is Morehead You???
Old 08-31-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
jrill
Planted Tank Obsessed

Pikeville. I drive to Charleston if I need fish stuff. My wife goes to Morehead often. She teaches here at upike.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
FatherLandDescendant
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
Pikeville. I drive to Charleston if I need fish stuff. My wife goes to Morehead often. She teaches here at upike.
I order the vast majority of my stuff online. I'd have to drive to Ashland (45 min) or Mt. Sterling (30 min) to hit a LFS. The place in Mt. Sterling has been closed both times I drove the 30 miles 1 way there, second time the sign on the door had the wrong dates on it and I've yet to reach anyone by phone. I refuse to waste the $20 in gas again for a dry run.

You ever checked out the LFSs in Ashland or Huntington, know what they are like? Charleston is a little far for me.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
jrill
Planted Tank Obsessed

No, never have. We have a LFS here. There is a big sign on the door that says no cell phones or cameras aloud. Once in u see why. I don't go there anymore. Your right about online. My first choice.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
FatherLandDescendant
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well aside from my main tank that is on a new fish hold pending the grow out of its' newest inhabitants(a journal for that pending ) and this jar I don't really need a LFS right now and expending the gas for a looksee is out of the question. I just thought I'd ask, maybe work will send me back to Ashland again soon for training and I can get them to foot the bill for gas