The Planted Tank Forum banner

Lexinverts' Shrimp Pix and Breeding News!

40K views 254 replies 50 participants last post by  ryannguyen 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello TPT,

I've recently relocated to the Pacific Northwest, and I've scaled down my operation to focus more on invertebrates. (ABSOLUTELY NO MORE LIVEBEARERS!) I used to do a lot more selling, but now I've become enamored with just breeding challenging shrimp species/varieties and keeping a wide variety of invertebrates in my collection. I like to try to photograph my livestock from time to time, so I created this thread to post them.

I'm currently running 16 tanks of various sizes and keeping/breeding:

Tylomelania snails
Cardinal shrimp (Caridina dennerli)
Sulawesi "granite" shrimp (Caridina sarasinorum..?)
Caridina sulawesi
Several varieties of Taiwan Bees (Caridina cantonensis)
Several varieties of CRS and CBS (Caridina cantonensis)
Orange Eye Blue Tiger shrimp (Caridina cantonensis)
Orange Eye Royal Blue Tiger shrimp (Caridina cantonensis)
Blue Bee shrimp (Paracaridina sp.)
Blue Diamond shrimp (Neocaridina davidii)
Two empty tanks.....what's next???

TAIWAN BEE AND HYBRID CRS/CBS TANK

CARIDINA DENNERLI & POSO ORANGE TYLOMELANIA

WHITE SPOTTED TYLOMELANIA

POSO ORANGE TYLOMELANIA

CARIDINA SARASINORUM (MAYBE?)

PANDA TAIWAN BEE

ROYAL BLUE TIGER

BLUE DIAMOND NEOCARIDINA

See less See more
#12 ·
Thanks. The riccia takes some maintenance to keep it attached. About every 2 months I have to trim it back.

No CO2. I just dose with Excel three times per week. All of the plants are thriving in that tank.

#23 ·
They will nibble it, but if you keep them happy with carrots, spinach, pellets, etc... they will probably not totally destroy it. Floating plants work much better than rooted plants with these guys.

#25 · (Edited)
I've been asked by a few folks for my tank parameters. Here they are.

Cardinals: Inert sand substrate, RO re-mineralized with Salty Shrimp 8.5 to 135-175 ppm TDS, GH 6-8. pH 8.5, temp 82 F.

Tylomelania (snails): Crushed coral substrate, RO re-mineralized with Kent RO Right to 250 ppm, and a GH of 7-9, KH of 2-5, pH 8.5, temp 82F.

Taiwan Bees, CRS and CBS: ADA New Amazonia, RO re-mineralized with Salty Shrimp GH+ to 185-200 ppm, and a GH of 6, KH 0, pH of 6-6.5, temp of 74F.

Tiger shrimp and Blue Diamond Neos: Either Azoo Plant grower substrate or ADA New Amazonia, RO re-mineralized with 50% Kent RO Right, and 50% Salty Shrimp GH+ to a TDS of 200-250 ppm and a GH of 6 and a KH of 2, pH of 6.8-7.2, temp of 74F.

Paracaridina: Inert substrate, RO wastewater + 1/4 tsp Kent RO Right for a TDS of 130-150 ppm.

All tanks have lots of plants, and have sponges and a Hang on back Hagen Aquaclear for filtration. 10-20% water changes about every 10 days.

I dose the planted display tanks with Excel, every other day, at the recommended dose.

All tanks have at least two Indian Almond leaves in them; at different stages of decay.

I feed a balanced diet that consists of Ken's Fish Veggie Sticks with Calcium, Hikari Shrimp and Crab cuisine, Barley sticks, Ken's Earthworm Sticks, blanched spinach/kale, and microorganism foods (Shirakura Chi-Ebi, Borneo Wild Bebi). The snails also get raw carrots.

#28 ·
Moar full tank shots please!
Here you go. This is another of my 40 gallon breeders. It has Taiwan Bees and hybrids. Lots of Xmas moss on driftwood, dwarf pennywort, some riccia, and flame moss.

#30 ·
Very good looking invertebrates! I too need to someday get into the shrimp breeding and collecting craze, I just haven't jumped aboard yet! As a quick question, will a betta harm/eat any shrimp, or will i be better off putting them in their own separate tank or in my main show tank with community fish and a few gouramis?

#31 ·
Yes, Bettas will take them out. They are better off in their own tank. You could put some Neocaridina shrimp in a community tank as long as there is lots of Java moss to provide them cover, and the fish aren't too big. Amano shrimp will do fine even with medium-sized fish (not cichlids, though).

#36 ·
Thanks! I think bare tanks are boring. Good look with the dry start!

Here's a mischling feeding frenzy on a piece of blanched kale. This is from the same tank as the previous panda shot.

#47 ·
Lol those look like dirty golden's.
Yeah, I don't care for red/pink bolt that much. And red bolts are not a new strain as is being claimed. They are just Blue bolts with the Red gene.

#49 ·
Here's a nice looking adult Card:

Here's a baby Card, going to town on the biofilm. There are few things as cool in freshwater aquariums as a bunch of baby Cardinal shrimp feeding on biofilm!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.