Leaves look "burnt" red around edges
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 08-06-2006, 11:45 PM   #1
Vicker3000
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Leaves look "burnt" red around edges

Over the past several days, some leaves on several of my different plants have developed something that makes the leaves look as if they have been singed. It's a really dark red color just at the very edges of the leaves. Some of the really skinny, tiny leaves on my one plant (I'm not entirely sure what all my plants are...) have turned completely dark red from this.

Is this some kind of algae? My tank has 8Watts/gal flourescent and no CO2. I just set up the light a week ago and plan on putting in CO2 asap. Will CO2 help fight this?

Also, I have some glosso in the mail that should be here soon. Should I wait before putting the glosso in, for fear of infecting it with whatever this is? This is my only tank, so I don't really have anywhere else to put the glosso...
Vicker3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (168/100%)

Need more info... what size tank, what kind of light (8W/gal sounds like it might burn plants), a photo would help to show the red coloration.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
Vicker3000
Algae Grower

I have a 10gal tank with a Current USA Satellite 2x40 Watt light. I'm unable to supply photos as I don't have a camera.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

I think it is too much light for a (new?) non-CO2 setup. I'd cut it down not only to half, but even lower until you get CO2 and fertilizers cranking.

Plants turning red can be a sign of missing NO3. Plants will grow for a short time until they use up all available nutrients, then turn white or red and finally die.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:02 PM   #5
Vicker3000
Algae Grower

I use FloraPride plant food stuff and Eco Complete for fertilizers. Should I be dosing with individual ferts instead of using the FloraPride stuff?

And yes, it is a pretty new setup, so it's entirely likely that there's low NO3. A little more than a week ago I got the new light, removed the gravel, and put in the eco-complete. I emptied the tank completely in the process, but it's still the same filter and most of the plants and decorations were in the tank before I did this, so I was hoping most of the fish waste breaking down bacteria would still have something to start from.

What can I do? I don't want my poor plants to die. Are individualized ferts expensive? I don't have testing supplies either, and I know those are kinda expensive...
Old 08-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

There are no good "one-in-all" solutions. As you add light, the full spectrum of nutrients becomes a necessity. If you are not ready and just add the lights, you are asking for trouble...

There is a lot to learn about nutrients here... I like to divide them into three categories: CO2, macros, and micros. CO2 and micros are straight-forward... use something like Flourish (not Excel, not Trace, just Flourish) for micros.

Macros are NPK (nitrates, phosphates, potassium) and often nitrates are what needs to be added. You can get a simple test kit at your pet store like from AP which tells you roughly how much NO3 is in your water, then you can get some KNO3 and dose accordingly.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:11 PM   #7
Vicker3000
Algae Grower

Okay, thanks for the help. I was going to go get some Flourish stuff tomorrow. I guess I'll hafta get a test kit and bottles of macros too.