Planted Plus questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Old 11-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Planted Plus questions

So I purchased a Planted Plus LED fixture finally after drooling over them for many months. I got mine from ebay from a person claiming that is was brand new just that he had opened the box. So I figured it would be a good way to save some money. Well I received the light today and it does look unused and in good shape, but there are few suspect things....

First off it didn't come in it's original box. The seller stated he opened the box, but not that he threw it away or discarded it somehow.

Second, there is no manual or paperwork.

Third, it doesn't have the water proof switch covers seen in many photos of this fixture.

So I'm wondering when this fixture is bought brand new, what is included in the box, such as manual, other extras, etc.? All I received was the fixture, the end clips, and the plug in transformer.

Does the fixture normally come with those water proof switch covers installed? Or does the end user somehow install them and they come separate in the box? Did my seller somehow remove them maybe to fix his old light or something like that?

Any insight you guys had would be helpful. I may be taking it up with ebay and returning the item, as the seller specifically listed it as "brand new" with his only disclaimer being that he opened the box.

Thanks in advance for your time and help in figuring this out, and thanks for sponsoring the plantedtank.net. This is my first finnex product after wanting it for a while.
Dolfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok another question, how are the switch covers attached? The seller has contacted me back and is trying to say that must have been lost in shipping. I still have all of the packaging and they are not there. Also I doubt that 2 switch covers at opposite ends of the light fixture both came off and have disappeared. I definitely think something shady is going on. I have a feeling the seller bought this light removed the switch covers to fix his current light or another light, then sold the fixture to me without the switch covers. So are they easy to remove and can they be used to replace and fix them on another fixture?
Old 11-13-2014, 03:11 AM   #3
fishhes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

It sounds to me like you got ripped off by the ebay seller. I can't tell you exactly what comes with the light, but I have ordered a Finnex Planted+ that is being shipped at this moment and will arrive by the week's end. If you would like I could tell you the contents of the package then.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:31 AM   #4
TRENT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

I have three of these fixtures bought brand new. All three came with box, instructions, transformer, 2x feet and they all have light switch covers. The covers are on there pretty good. It would take some work to get them off.

I would ask the seller for a 50% refund and you keep the light or 100% refund and you send it back on his dime. I don't think the light switch caps are really that critical unless the fixture is in a high moister environment (canopy, ect.).
TRENT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2014, 03:47 AM   #5
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

So the seller has offered me a $10 refund, original price was $90, versus $120ish from a legit vendor.

The light works, and is in good conditions, aside from the light switches, I would just hate for water to get in there, and then I have an $80 broken light fixture.

I think I may ask for refund. Any others care to weigh in.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:08 AM   #6
TRENT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Negotiate with them tell then you won't settle for anything less than 25.00 refund. Between the 10.00 he was offering and shipping he's right there.
TRENT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2014, 04:56 AM   #7
fishhes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My light came by UPS today and looking at the unit I have to agree with TRENT that there is no way that those switch covers could have come off and gotten lost in shipping. That is a pretty poor cover story for a damaged unit. The covers are firmly attached.

My box contained the cord and transformer as well as a warranty card.

Good luck dealing with the seller.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ended up just contacting Ebay and I am getting a full refund through them. I would rather pay en extra $20 or so and get a mint condition light fixture with switch covers, warranty, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.