Looking for Good Subtrate Suggestions for 10 Gallon Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-04-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
LindaC
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looking for Good Subtrate Suggestions for 10 Gallon Tank

I am in the process of trying to make my 10 gallon tank low tech. I recently removed 2 15 watt compact flourescent lights that I purchased at Targets and added 2 11 watt compact flourescents from Dr. Fosters and Smith. The 11 watt bulbs give the tank a much warmer appearance with the 6700K, rather than the bright look it had before. I have been battleing BGA and still have small traces of if left in the tank.

Anyway, it currently has gravel on the bottom and I would like to add a better subtrate that will help the plants grow a little better. I can remove the gravel that's in there a little at a time and put down something better. I have Flourite in my 29 gallon and I really don't want to use that, I'm not crazy about the stuff at all.

The plants that are in the tank now are crypt lucens, crypt wendtii, sunset hyrgro and barcopa carolina and a red tiger lotus. I was adding very small amounts of fets, nitrate, potassium, phosphate, etc.. I also does flourish excel every other day.

Any suggestions on a subtrate is greatly appreciated. Where it's only a 10 gallon, it shouldn't be too difficult. My plants do not stay down well in the gravel, not to mention that they're not getting any nutrients at all.

Thank you!
LindaC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
fshfanatic
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

ADS Aqua Soil
Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

fshfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
lumpyfunk
Green Water Master

PTrader: (32/100%)

I havent used it yet, but aqua soil has been highly recommended. Or if you want to try something completely different, look into soil. The nice thing about trying something new in a 10 gallon is how easy it is to change what you did.

dang, got ninjaed
lumpyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
fshfanatic
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyfunk

dang, got ninjaed
ROFL now that is funny.
Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

fshfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
LindaC
Algae Grower

The ADS Aqua Soil looks great but I have a couple of questions, first off, there are three different types but it doesn't give you any suggestions as to what type would suit your specific tank. The other thing is it decreases the hardness of your water and I have soft water already (GH 40), would this be a problem? Do you use this alone or with sand?

I'd love to hear from anyone who uses this soil, I'm thinking of purchasing a bag but not sure which type to buy, Amazonia, Malaya or Africana. Thoughts?
Old 08-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
ianiwane
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)

The three types are pretty much the same, just different in color. I also have really soft water and do not buffer my kH at all. I do add some epsom salt for gH though, I do this b/c plants seem to do better at a moderate gH. Soft water with AS does not seem to be a problem.
ianiwane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
LindaC
Algae Grower

Do you think 1 9 liter bag on the soil will be enough for a 10 gallon tank. I'm wondering if I should order a bag of Power Sand too, the S and M are out of stock and I really don't like the large, can I get by without it? I really don't want to purchase it from somewhere else and have to pay shipping again, it gets pretty pricey.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #8
ianiwane
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)

1 9L is more than enough. You probably do not need the powersand for your purposes. Powersand is high in ferts its more for a high tech tank. And even for that you don't need it. Just place a layer of peat under the aquasoil.
ianiwane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #9
Fishboy08
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Fishboy08

How much does this Aqua Soil cost? I haven't seen it in stores, but then again I haven't really looked for it.. Would it be in regular harware stores like Lowes? So how much does it cost, and how much do you think I would need for a 20 gallon long with a layer of peat under it??

(Sorry to steal the thread, I am interested in this as well. I just figured I would add to this instead of making another nearly identicle thread...)
Fishboy08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2006, 01:36 AM   #10
gabeszone247
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (80/100%)

I just bought 9litX3 for $40US in Japan off Japan Yahoo auction. 1 bag is plenty for 10gal. After you put the AS it will cloud your water a bit unless you are really careful putting water into your tank. If your water clouds do a half water change everyday until it clears.
gabeszone247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.