Largest Betta tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
marley_kitty
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Largest Betta tank?

I'm thinking about getting a Betta, and am just doing some random web browsing. Most people say 5 gallons minimum, but I've read people have successfully (read happy and healthy) kept them in 2 gallons.

I know a Betta wouldn't be opposed to more space, and would appreciate the extra territory. So I'm curious if anyone loved their Betta so much as to give them their own 20 gallon? How about a 30 gallon? It seems most people get Bettas for small tanks, but there must be someone who has a Betta in a larger tank? And I don't mean a Betta in a community tank, I mean a single Betta in their own tank alone.

So what's the largest Betta tank you ever had?
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Currently, a 10 gallon all to himself and he hangs in the corner most of the time
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #3
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Kept one in a 75g. Seemed to like it but must not have since he jumped after just a couple weeks.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:09 AM   #4
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Jaguar

Bettas tend to be slow moving and pretty lazy - anywhere from 2-5 gallons is fine (with filtration/heater). Of course, you could put them in a bigger tank, but chances are they'd just spend their days resting in the plants or hiding behind the filter outflow :P I had mine solo in a 10 gallon at one point. He wasn't much of a show fish... he'd just cram himself in the corner and laze about all day. He seems just as happy now in his 2g Spec
Old 05-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #5
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Got my betta is a 16 gallon. All he does is lazy about in the water lettuce roots. All that space for very little action.
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:14 AM   #6
sourgrl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Bettas are not short on personality; some like the room others not so much. Our last betta did not like a roomy tank. He started in a nice 6.6 gallon bookshelf aquarium but was chomping up his fins. Down graded his tank to a 3 gallon and he was happier for it.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:49 AM   #7
Phantomic
Algae Grower

I currently keep my betta in a 10 gallon tank. Lucky for me, my betta loves to show off for me and swim all around the tank whenever im around. When im not around, he just sits in the floating wisteria all day. But as for tank size, i personally would go a minimum of 5 gallons.
Phantomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:51 AM   #8
comet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Recently put a young male in a 20 long that was void of fish and has a few crypts and ramshorn snails. He has enjoyed every inch of the space. Constantly watching the snails and looking for anything else that moves. I have a Marineland 280 filter on this tank. It is an older model that has the push lever on top for flow control. I keep it on the lowest flow setting for about 10 hours and then put it up to the second to lowest setting for the rest of the time. I do this because on the lowest setting the filter is too noisy!
He never seems to have any problems with the flow on these settings. Don't know if that is because he's young.
comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #9
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

My friend has a 55 with a single betta....and that's it.

I wish I had parents that would get fish tanks that are 10 times the size of whats needed for the fish I have :P

I could always plant a 500+ gallon tank right? XD
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
Sluuuder
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
My friend has a 55 with a single betta....and that's it.

I wish I had parents that would get fish tanks that are 10 times the size of whats needed for the fish I have :P

I could always plant a 500+ gallon tank right? XD
LOL good luck finding a light for that tank :P

But yeah as long as the betta is happy and THERES A FILTER AND HEATER!!!!!!!
Sorry people put them in these small little tanks with now filter or heater and it pisses me off. As long as the betta is happy then your fine (with a filter and heater)

I have my betta in a 30 gallon. He is with a bunch of other fish and tends to keep to himself. Him and my angelfish will flare their gills up every once in a while but never touch each other. The angel couldnt get him anyways if he wanted cause of the plants. Plus neither are ever missing any fins so I think they like to just show off to each other :p.

Fish have personalities for sure lol.
Sluuuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
Nami
Algae Grower

I had one in a 6 gallon, and now I have one in a 100 gallon.

They both did very well, although the one in the 100 G is reaching the end of it's life at this point. They get used to the filter current within a few days. In the 100G he basically hung out on top with the floater plants.
Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

My theory is that betta happiness is more highly correlated to plant density than tank size.

A betta alone in a heavily planted 75g tank is more of a Where's Waldo exercise in excess than anything else.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
marley_kitty
Algae Grower

WOW! 100 gallon Betta tank! That's a massive tank for one little Betta.

I read here (http://nippyfish.net/2011/10/23/the-...-from-fiction/) that in the wild they have a territory of about a squared meter (about 3 feet) on average. If you take the meter squared, and you figure the water is probably about a meter deep, you end up with about 1000 litres or 264 gallons for 1 wild Betta. Even though all the information is probably not very accurate I still found that really interesting in comparison to how we usually keep them.

I have kept Bettas before and have found them to be pretty sleepy fish sometimes. Just hanging out at the top in the plants. I can't really blame them, I hang out on the couch a lot
Old 05-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

I have a betta in a 48gal, but he shares the space with other fish, very active, swims all over.
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta