Guppies and mollies breeding together
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 05-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
jtilley
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Guppies and mollies breeding together

Right now I have 3 female Molly's in my tank that I like pretty well. I am wanting to add 3 guppies 1 male and 2 female and let them breed so I can watch the fry grow as I have heard it is a cool experience. My question is will the male guppy breed with the three female mollies? I really don't want a bunch of mixed fish in my tank or to be really quickly over run with fry by five fish instead of two. So can I put the same tank and it be safe that they won't breed or will I have to rehome the mollies?
jtilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Guppy and Molly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtilley View Post
Right now I have 3 female Molly's in my tank that I like pretty well. I am wanting to add 3 guppies 1 male and 2 female and let them breed so I can watch the fry grow as I have heard it is a cool experience. My question is will the male guppy breed with the three female mollies? I really don't want a bunch of mixed fish in my tank or to be really quickly over run with fry by five fish instead of two. So can I put the same tank and it be safe that they won't breed or will I have to rehome the mollies?
Hello jt...

It's possible. From what I've read, you could have a Guppy/Molly hybrid. The fish aren't closely related. If you do get a hybrid, it will likely be sterile. To get "Livebearers" to breed you need several females and one male. The higher ratio of females to males, the better.

Guppies are best kept with their own species. Most other fish kept with them will make a target of the male Guppy's fancy tail.

Just a suggestion.

B
Old 05-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
jtilley
Planted Member

Hi just saying but saying its possible doesn't really answer my question. I don't care if the fry are sterile because I don't want them at all. I am trying see if the mollies will or will not be impregnated by the male guppy and therefore over running my tank.

Why does everyone seem to think my fish are guppy haters? They don't bully among themselves! I don't see why a guppy would be that different.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:08 AM   #4
Isujustice05
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
My question is will the male guppy breed with the three female mollies?
Quote:
It's possible. From what I've read, you could have a Guppy/Molly hybrid.
HMMMMMM Looks to me like he did in fact answer your question. OBVIOUSLY he has no clue of the certain fish you have and what will happen with 100% certainty. So there is no way for anyone to know FOR SURE. If you dont want them to become pregnant then rehome. Otherwise you will have to deal with the outcome.
RAOK CLUB #95
Isujustice05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Any adult female livebearer will come pre-loaded and ready to pop out fry for months. Be warned...
Old 05-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
jtilley
Planted Member

I guess he did answer my question and I am sorry for replying that way. I am just a fan of straight up yes or no. I just can't decide if I need to rehome or not. That's why I am fustrated. I thought the answer would help me know what to do.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
Isujustice05
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Short answer yes they will breed. You stated you don't want to be overrun by fry. I will say one of my mollies got pregnant and I only ever saw one. To this day only one has survived as I've read the mothers eat them unless you separate them. So I hope that helps you with that issue and as you stated if you don't want different species of fry then I think that would make your decision for you to rehome. Best of luck either way.

Also have you ever considered just getting a single male mollie? You already have three females and they will breed quickly as well. In fact three females to one male is a good ratio.
RAOK CLUB #95
Isujustice05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
jtilley
Planted Member

I have considered getting a single male Molly but right now I have two gold dusts and one black but with a yellow end on her tail. This makes me not sure of which breed to go with. Also they seem really plain with just the black with a tip of yellow or solid orange. Also they poop a lot. And eat a lot I guess that corresponds. I just kind of lost interest in breeding them since there were no males at my LFS when I bought them. There might be now...
Aside from that negetive stuff they do have the best personality.