Re-doing My Fluval Spec II
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 05-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Re-doing My Fluval Spec II

Hi everyone,

After having all of my shrimp die out a while back, I decided it was time to tear down my Fluval Spec and start over.

I bought a new bag of eco-complete, scrubbed all the algae off the tank, emptied the water, boiled the wood and rinsed off the plants, so now it's time to rescape.

So far all I have in the tank is the wood, but I have the choice between eco-complete or ADA Amazonia for my substrate, and some vals, java ferns, java moss, anubias nana, swords, and some sort of stem plant for my plants, although I can buy more.

I'll be posting my progress in this thread, and asking for advice.

Here's a pic of the tank:

So my questions are: What substrate should I use?
Any ideas at all on the plants? I'm completely stumped.
What do you think of the hardscape?
Padded Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
rice n curry man
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think it would look cooler if you flipped the wood and added rocks at the bottom
rice n curry man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice n curry man View Post
I think it would look cooler if you flipped the wood and added rocks at the bottom
I agree flipping it and adding rocks would look cool and some moss to it or leave it like it is now and rotate the tallest part of the wood from back left to the back right to leave the front open to fill in with a lower growing plant and have some vals growing from the back.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

You mean something like one of these?

apologies for the terrible cell phone pictures.

I also have some dwarf hairgrass, HC, and cryptocorynes that I forgot about, but I'd need co2 for the HC. Has anyone done DIY co2 on their spec? Would that harm my shrimp?

You guys think that I should have like a moss tree with a carpet?

I'd need to saw the wood down a bit I think.

You suggested stones: what do you think of Seiryu stones?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default Re-doing My Fluval Spec II

I like my wood that goes above the water. You can see it in my CRS spec journal.

I only like your first scape. The other two are.. Well upside down.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #6
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

Yeah that's what I kind of figured, too, but I figured since the only two posters unanimously agreed I'd give it a shot. :P

However, it was the scape I'd used before.

Here's a terrible picture of it when I first set it up last time:

I ended up removing the stems cause I felt it was too cluttered, and the the java moss I had on the back of the wood took over the tank. Oh and the vals.

I've also considered just removing the wood all together.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

I really do need a better camera...

Anyways, here's what I did yesterday:

Filled with aquasoil with my RO water ready to be siphoned in

Sloooowly siphoning. It took at least an hour to fill completely.

Little bits of hairgrass:

And here's what it looks like now. I'm not very happy and I know something's missing. It needs something kind of in the middle. Any suggestions?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #8
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

I wanted something a bit more open than what I had previously, as my shrimp were never visible and the tank just looked cluttered. I figure the cover of the grass once it grows in will be enough to provide security to the shrimp.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

Maybe I should pick up a seiryu stone or something for the middle. I'm not sure. Any opinions are more than welcome.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

It definitely needs some type of Hardscape; perhaps one Seiryu stone as a statement piece would be good, or a few smaller ones that are offset to draw the eye to a certain "location" in the aquarium.
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

Yeah, I agree. I think I'll go pick up a nice centrepiece stone this weekend. I'm not too sure about my plant choice, either. I don't have extensive knowledge of plants, to be honest.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padded Wall View Post
Yeah, I agree. I think I'll go pick up a nice centrepiece stone this weekend. I'm not too sure about my plant choice, either. I don't have extensive knowledge of plants, to be honest.
I guess it depends on what you are going for; are you going for a good ground-cover with lower-spread plants or are you going for more of a "Jungle" look?

For tanks of your size I like plants like H.C. (baby tears), Glosso, Micro Swords, Vals, hairgrass (which I see you already have), and my favorite, Staurogyne repens 049.

Try to position the rock off center to give the tank a more "non-symmetrical look"

Some of the plants you have in there now look healthy, but also look to be a little big for that tank, and once established, will probably overgrow the rear portions, especially as the tank is so small.
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

I also think the kH from the stone will be really beneficial because atm I'm using DIY co2 with pure RO water, so my pH is pretty darn low. I figure I have a month or so to get that all right while the Amazonia leeches ammonia and the tank cycles.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanotaenia View Post
I guess it depends on what you are going for; are you going for a good ground-cover with lower-spread plants or are you going for more of a "Jungle" look?

For tanks of your size I like plants like H.C. (baby tears), Glosso, Micro Swords, Vals, hairgrass (which I see you already have), and my favorite, Staurogyne repens 049.

Try to position the rock off center to give the tank a more "non-symmetrical look"

Some of the plants you have in there now look healthy, but also look to be a little big for that tank, and once established, will probably overgrow the rear portions, especially as the tank is so small.

I wanted a more simple look, but I also wanted to use a bit of the height in the tank instead of just having a patch of hairgrass and 8 inches of black background. I do feel like those plants are too big. I'm just not sure what I should use in the background. I have some vals on hand. Think I should give those a shot? I also have a plant similar to this:

I think I'll remove those 3 middle plants and replace with a taller grass kind of plant. I'll leave the crypts though, I think. I also have a little sword-like type plant that's only about 2-3 inches tall.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
Padded Wall
Algae Grower

here's a messy shot with cloudy water, but I like the way it looks far better than that plant I had there before.

Tags
2 gallon, fluval spec, journal, shrimp