75 gallon - First tank in 25+ years (56k)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
Lynrem
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

75 gallon - First tank in 25+ years (56k)

When I was a teenager I had a 10 gal tank with some plants. My wife's father had a 55 gal tank when she was a kid. We have talked on an off about it we be nice to have a fish tank.

I was at one of those "junk stores" that sells returned and opened items and they had a couple of 20 gal tanks. That gave me the bug. I stated checking out prices - the junk store is always a bargain

I did some research on keeping fish and found a lot saying bigger tanks are better for beginners because larger volumes parameters very less once cycled. I was looking around for 55 gal tanks and found a good deal on a 75 gal. So Santa Clause brought the family a 75 gal fish tank 2 days early. we told the kids (7 & 9) that he was afraid it would break with all the toys on Christmas Eve.

So this is what we set up on Dec 22, 2013.

I did some research online and found out I need more light so I made this DIY light with 7 - 23W 5000K 1600 lumens CFLs

Then I found this site and decided to change from a fish tank with plants to a planted tank with fish. I added Flourite Black and more plants and now have this

I have some moss coming that I will put on some of the rocks and have some bulbs planted. I will update pictures as new plants are added and current ones grow in.
Advertisement