New To the Plants!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Dirge337

PTrader: (0/0%)

New To the Plants!

Hello Everyone!

I just broke down my saltwater 55 gallong tank and wanted to start up a large planted tank. I'm fairly new to the planted tank and i was just wondering if what i have would be good to start or if i need to upgrade a bit more:

I have:

55 gallon long tank
Aqueon LED light with 2 Day White bulbs and 1 Colormax bulb
A 70 gallon Aquaclear filter with a bag of carbon and a bag of a Phosphate remover
2 powerheads

No sand or decor/rock yet. I want to do driftwood but ive heard it attracts hair algae. Another question would be what would be compatible fish wise with plants. Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks!
Dirge337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

If you want plants, your tank is going to need CO2, pressurized ideally, 2-2L bottle DIY yeast might be enough if you're keeping less demanding low light plants.
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirge337 View Post
Hello Everyone!

I just broke down my saltwater 55 gallong tank and wanted to start up a large planted tank. I'm fairly new to the planted tank and i was just wondering if what i have would be good to start or if i need to upgrade a bit more:

I have:

55 gallon long tank
Aqueon LED light with 2 Day White bulbs and 1 Colormax bulb
A 70 gallon Aquaclear filter with a bag of carbon and a bag of a Phosphate remover
2 powerheads

No sand or decor/rock yet. I want to do driftwood but ive heard it attracts hair algae. Another question would be what would be compatible fish wise with plants. Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum! I know that you switched over from SW but do you have any ideas of what you wan? If not I suggest you go through the tank journals to check out the different plants and setups others have. By looking at other members tanks you can decide on how you want to setup your tank and what you want to keep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
If you want plants, your tank is going to need CO2, pressurized ideally, 2-2L bottle DIY yeast might be enough if you're keeping less demanding low light plants.
You don't need CO2 to have a successful planted tank.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:25 AM   #4
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post

You don't need CO2 to have a successful planted tank.
Correction, I don't need CO2, but a 55gal that OP desires to be heavily planted will very very probably need CO2 supplementation via fish, DIY yeast, Excel, etc

4 a 55gal you can make a paradise, just dream and do it, but ive never used those LED lights.

With the 2 pwrheads, might want to consider a mountain riverside bio with cories, danios, otos, barbs, white driftwood

ludwigia, wisteria make good contrasting plants for high current setups

Last edited by AirstoND; 05-28-2013 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: zpellin
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
tippeecanoe
Algae Grower

Hi Dirge and welcome to the forum! It sounds like you've been bitten by the bug that has gotten many of us here. There are plenty of resources here to research and peruse. Take your time, read some of the success stories, as well as some of the failures, and come up with a plan of action that will work for you. I know from first hand experience how daunting all of this may be at first, but seeing that you're coming from SW, the principles are basically the same. Take a look around and decide what road you want to go down. If you want to make an Amano-style tank, there are plenty of folks who have been down that road successfully. Dirted, sand substrate, Aquasoils, CO2 injection, fertilizers, PAR meters, anything and everything for the tech geek in you. Low tech is another way. Or, anything in between. Fish-wise, read up on those here too. Many of the larger cichlids, like some the African rift valley species, will dig and uproot your plants. Some folks have gone to the dwarf cichlids, like the Apistogramma sp. or Mikrogeopahgus sp., to get around the digging aspect of some species of cichlid. Tetras are a very popular type of planted tank fish as are many of the Poeciliids (guppies, mollies, swordtails, and platies). There is so much information available (good, bad, and other) that it can be very overwhelming. There is no magic formula that says if you obtain x, add light in the amount of y, and bring all of that up to the power of z fertilizer, you will end up with what you want. Read some of the journals. Read some of the advice that has been given, and read some more. Come up with a plan, try it out, ask for help if you need it, and let us know how it turned out. I hope it works out for you, it will be your tank. Good luck and, again, welcome aboard!
Nikon Pimp #098
Fraternity of Dirt #121

Last edited by tippeecanoe; 05-28-2013 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: Spelling and capitalization correction...d'oh!
tippeecanoe is offline   Reply With Quote