Mounting Legs
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-04-2003, 06:30 PM   #1
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Hi,

I'm new here, however I've recently been getting into planted aquariums. I just ordered a 30 inch compact strip AllGlass 55W for my 29 and a 110W 36 inch AllGlass compact for my 38g. My question is: can I attach mounting legs to these lights?

My 29g is planted (bare with me, names are coming in the near future, I'm still not very good with them) I just purchased a CO2 injector system from big Als,

For the 29g.

I have an Angel, powder blue gourami, butterfly fish, clown pleco, and 2 cories in there.

My tank looks like this:

Sorry for the poor quality of the picture. If it doesn't show, you can see it at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/greenseverum

I've got an Amazon Sword, Water sprite, pennywort planted in the back, some grass type stuff I don't know the name for by the filter intake, some stem plants that I don't know the name of either.

Sorry about the names. I'm trying to learn them.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for my compact strips. In that picture, I have the glass top with a 30 inch 20W plant light and a 15W plant light from an old 10g of mine.

How should I set up the compact light. I don't want to set it on the glass lid.

Will those mounting legs work?

My water params are (haven't checked exact pH since CO2 injector)

pH 7.0, Extremely soft water, between 17-34ppm, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate ? 80F

Fully cycled tank, Tetratech 330 filter.

Any reccommendations on the tank in general? My substrate is that kind that already has the bacteria when you purchase it...I can't remember the name of that for the life of me either. It's all black. I've had it for about a year.

This forum is wonderful by the way. I'm kind of a Newb at plants but have been a fishkeeper for over 5 years.

In my 38 I just have 2 juvenille green severums which I love, but my planted tank is going to stay focused on the 29.

Again any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Fat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2003, 06:33 PM   #2
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

By the way.

30% water change every week. I add liquid fertilizer (as directed on the cap) each water change. I also have probably five flourish fertilizer tabs planted near near the sword and the plant next to it, as well as around the aquarium in general.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:57 PM   #3
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do you have a link to these fixtures? I'd like to help, but I am a visual kind of guy. I have an AGA triple flourescent but this one does not have legs.
EPC Member #27
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 07:02 PM   #4
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

It looks something like:

by AllGlass.

It's on www.bigalsonline.com

Search lighting then search power compact strips.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:02 PM   #5
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

I just ordered the 30 inch and the 36 inch one.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:14 PM   #6
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is very similar to the 48" that I have. My is immediately placed against the glass cover. Is there a reason why you want legs? IMO, if you create a gap between the glass and the fixture, light will leak through there...unless you are trying to keep them cool...
EPC Member #27
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 07:18 PM   #7
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

I was just trying to find a way to support the lighting strip on the glass.

I guess I was wondering just about precautions. I really don't like the glass top that I've got. It kind of bends in the middle and touches the water. Probably because I have two power strips on it. I put a plexi glass 12" x 5" support underneath it that I cut out just cause I've got a cat who likes to hunt so I worry a little bit. I guess I'm just considering options.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:23 PM   #8
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

the lighting strip should be long enough to reach the edges of the tank, so not much weight will be on the glass.
I paid $8 for mounting legs on a Coralife compact hood, and had to remove them as too much light was escaping before it got inside the tank. Also, the higher the light, the less light intensity reaches the bottom of the tank...hurting your foreground plants a bit.
if anything, epoxy something to the ends of the light so it can't slide off the side of the tank.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 07:25 PM   #9
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Nice Idea.

Thanks Scorp. and Mal.

FG