bb or staghorn algae?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 07-31-2006, 03:04 AM   #1
danepatrick
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
Send a message via AIM to danepatrick

bb or staghorn algae?

so here are a few pics of the annoying algae i'm dealing with. i know some of the algae on the anubias is green spot and that's not what i'm referring to. is it bba or staghorn?? i don't think i'll get the answer i want to hear as i'm hoping i can use the excel treatment. what do you guys think?

according to the co2 chart, my co2 ppm is a deadly 110-120 ppm. i don't know if thats correct, but the ph is showing up at 6.5 and kh of 12-13. i'm going to turn my co2 down some because that just scared me.
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 04:14 AM   #2
Cardinal Tetra
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)

I think it looks like staghorn.

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.
Cardinal Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:29 AM   #3
Lissette
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Yep. It's staghorn. Although the kh chart may say you have high co2, that doesn't mean that it's correct.

The only way to really tell that you have high co2 is by increasing it slowly, and watching your fish closely. If they start gasping for breath, you know to lower it a tad (until they're comfortable again), and that should be your co2 level even though the chart says it's extremely high.

Check your ammonia levels too. Make sure it's a good kit. They can be faulty. Remove as much as you can, and prune. Use Excel, but be careful with the dosage.

HTH
Lissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:50 AM   #4
danepatrick
Wannabe Guru

im pretty sure the kit is fine. i've used it on other tanks and it was fine. i think the kH test is what's off. (i purchased it separate). as much co2 as i was pushing in that tank, no one has even gasped harder than usual. it's odd. i was thinking about dosing the excel 3x normal amount for 14 days. i've read about the results on bba. anyone think the excel treatment will successfully kill the staghorn? i'm also developing a film on the top of the water. isn't that from too much co2?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:46 AM   #5
Lissette
Planted Tank Obsessed

How are you injecting co2? Pressurized? DIY? How much light, and how big is your tank?

Chances are, if your fish have never gasped when injecting co2, it's still low. When my fish gasp for air that's when I turn down the co2 a tad. I know that it's high when it gets to that level. Plus, the plants will pearl like crazy when properly fertilized.

I've heard very good things about Excel, but I've also read that you should be careful dosing it. Yes, it can kill staghorn. Some say the algae can change colors like BBA when it's dying.

Just my .2 cents.

P.S. I hope that someone with more experience and knowledge can help you out.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:37 AM   #6
danepatrick
Wannabe Guru

pressurized. 2.5wpg. 38 gallon. i've only seen one of my fish gasp for air and that was because it was already about to die. i have 15 neon tetras and even they have never made it to the top to take a breath. like i mentioned, i turned it up like crazy, and my tiger lotus leaves turned bright red and were pearling like crazy, but not too much else. the only other thing i noticed from turning up the co2 was increased growth in my cobamba (literally grew about 4 inches in a day) and the film on the top of the water. thank you for responding. although this is my new favorite forum, it seems that most people aren't very helpful. so if anyone else can and would like to help me on my current problems i would actually appreciate it greatly.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
Lissette
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm sure that someone will help. Be patient. We are all looking for answers to these problems. What we always have to remember is that everyone's tank is different.

I will tell you that sometimes staghorn can appear when there's an ammonia spike. I've had it, but it did go away. But now I'm dealing with clado. Which is also a big PITA. So I feel your pain.

I'm sorry that I couldn't help you.

Lissette
Old 07-31-2006, 06:55 PM   #8
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I'm sure that algae is not BBA, so it is probably staghorn algae. Here is an excellent place to use for algae identity: http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/
Lissette's suggestion about CO2 is a good one. The problem with measuring CO2 isn't the kit you use, so much as it is that the KH/pH/CO2 relationship equation is based on water having only CO2 as a source of acidity, and only carbonates as a source of alkalinity. Our aquarium water usually isn't that "perfect", so the test results overstate how much CO2 is in the water. And, having adequate CO2 helps more than anything else I know of in keeping algae at bay. It is equally important to have lots of growing plants at all times, to quickly clear up any minute ammonia spikes that occur, since ammonia is one of the things that seem to trigger algae to start growing. Once you have as much algae as you seem to have you almost have to mechanically remove it, usually by pruning away the infested leaves. Correcting the water conditions alone doesn't get rid of the algae.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:55 PM   #9
danepatrick
Wannabe Guru

alright..well i'll try to put it this way..
my co2 was raised so high that when i tested my ph, it ran at 6.5. that's pretty low. it's been running at 7.0. i know that more co2 = lower ph, but HOW LOW can i go before it is dangerous? also, if i'm going to prune my leaves? how do i prune the crypts? pull off of the stalk, or cut? i know they're super sensitive. and how do i prune cardinal plants?

-edit-
here are ALL of my current parameters:
ammonia = 0ppm
nitrite = 0ppm
phosphate = about 3ppm (which is why i'm getting the green spot algae i'm sure. i'm working on bringing it down)
nitrate = 0ppm (i'm working on bringing it up)
ph = 6.6-6.8ppm
kh = 12
Old 08-01-2006, 01:38 AM   #10
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Please! Stop testing and start dosing nitrates, phosphates, potassium and traces according to a simple scheme like EI. Green Spot algae is aggravated by too little phosphate, not too much. And pH isn't important. If you are concerned about having too low a pH, just add a bit of bicarbonate of soda to raise the KH to around 3 degrees. Then add enough CO2 by slowly increasing the bubble rate and watching the plants, fish and algae. Take it slowly by raising it only every few days. If the fish ever show signs that they are bothered by the CO2, back off a bit and leave it there. Otherwise, raise it until BBA no longer starts back up after you get rid of all that is in the tank. If you only have staghorn and not BBA, again, remove what is in the tank and raise the CO2 until you don't see any more starting up. This took me a month before I felt I had reached a good level of CO2, so don't expect quick results. The way to remove algae depends on what kind it is, but trimming infested leaves, removing and bleach treating stones and driftwood, is one way. You can trim off the infested leaves of crypts too, they will grow back pretty quickly from the rooted crown.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:58 AM   #11
danepatrick
Wannabe Guru

i TRIED to dose the ei method but apparently everyone on this fricking site has a different say so as to what to dose. rex grigg one thing, someone else, someone else, blah blah. all i've ever asked for was a somewhat idea as to WHERE my levels should be and HOW MUCH i should be dosing according to my tank size, lighting, and parameters! and that website is ridiculous, because i have frickin 3.0ppm phosphates and i gave green spot OTA!!!