Where to find a good tank for a Vivarium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 12-04-2003, 08:38 AM   #1
HERPER
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Im looking for sites that sell tanks designed for vivariums. I have found some in Europe but ide like to find some in the US
HERPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2003, 06:08 AM   #2
Zurp
Planted Member

I am not sure what you want when you say, "GOOD". Vivariums are not as popular here as they are in the UK. Besides, most vivariums are just fishtanks, no special design for vivarium. If you want a front access vivarium, you may have to resort to a little craft-work. Those designs are only marketable for business, not for consumers. Eg. "Pet-Co", "Schools", "Research Labs", etc...

Most vivariums are just wood enclosures with waterproof bases, and sliding glass doors. Go to home depo, and get a standing shower... and the glass door setup. Just add water and lights! Kidding!

Have you contemplated getting a wide tank, and standing it on its side, so that the top opening faces you? All you need to do is get a glass wall to caulk on the bottom half, so you now have the old style vivariums. (Refer to photo)
Zurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 12:01 PM   #3
Zurp
Planted Member

You may also want to add reinforcement to the small gap that remains between the glass and the stand. (The under side) Fish-tanks were designed to rest on the black trim ring, since this will now be on the back wall, you might want to reinforce your "NEW" bottom.

Place strips of 1/4 inch adhesive foam weather stripping every few inches, and place two close to one another on the outside edges, as most of the upper tank stress will be focused there. If you plan on adding a lot of additional weight, you should have a glass cutter make you a sheet that will cover the entire bottom. Then use caulking to adhere it to the existing "NEW" bottom of your tank, on the outside. I wouldn't go thicker than 1/8 inch glass. This is similar to how safety glass is structured, two sheets of glass bonded together with a plastic resin.

If you decide to go and make a vivarium from scratch, here is a web-site that has info on glass slider tracks.

http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm?gr...oor%20Hardware
Old 12-20-2003, 12:34 PM   #4
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

My club is currently debating the quality of their work but they sell both aquariums and vivarium/terrariums:

http://www.glasscages.com

The prices they give for aquariums are cheaper than the glass would cost my brother who works at a glass company, and he married the owner's daughter. :roll:

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:10 PM   #5
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

After setting up a 40 gallon breeder as a vivarium with the standard orientation, I would definitly recommend a tank that is taller than it is wide.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:38 PM   #6
Zurp
Planted Member

Same response here... Taller is a must. After you place land in there, you realize the tank is already 1/3 full. That is why I ended up getting a tall 55 gallon tank, almost 1.5 feet of space left for plant height.

most of my plants are mosses... (Due to the transfer from my 20 gallon long tank, which was not tall when I took it home, but it looked tall enough in the store!)
Old 12-24-2003, 07:40 PM   #7
Anonymous
Planted Member

I just got 2 30G cubes with stands from Oceanic. I think that the hight and the amount of ground space with these is a happy medium and i really like the depth the cubes give you. I dont know how you guys feel about that.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 08:18 PM   #8
Zurp
Planted Member

That is why I purchased my 55 gallon tank. It is the same height as the 30 gallon tall tanks. (I assume that is what you purchased, as the normal 30 gallon tanks are only 13 inches tall.)

I eventually want to make something similar to a tank that I found on another post. It has a thin water section along the whole front of the tank, with the pump pumping water from one end to the other, like a stream effect. I think the tank that you are talking about is 13 inches wide, 30 inches long, and 21 inches tall. Those are nice tanks, and two are almost always better than one.

The only draw-back, that I have found with my tall tank, is when it comes time to clean and plant the tank. This only happens once every three or four months, so I don't mind it that much. A true terrarium setup would be better for this, but would have less appeal, in my opinion.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:22 PM   #9
Zurp
Planted Member

Sorry, I didn't see that you said that these were cubes, that would be 20 inches by 18 inches by 21.

I can't wait to see the pictures of your new tanks when they are setup. What is the prices for those? I think they would make neat multilayer vivariums.

If you really want a tall tank... look at this!
http://www.customaquarium.com/towers.htm
Old 12-26-2003, 09:56 AM   #10
HERPER
Algae Grower

The Tanks are really nice looking one of the nicest ive ever seen i got mine on sale. For one tank with a stand ran 250. Ide really like to turn the second tank into a reef aquarium. But one is going to be for frogs! And soon I will be making a trip to black jugle to outfit my vivarium.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:58 PM   #11
Zurp
Planted Member

I have to look into those a little more, they may be my next endevor. I am actively searching through my woods for a good fallen tree to throw in as a centerpiece. I want to hollow it out, and place most of the stuff in the center. Water pump, fogger, airation, heater, etc... This way I have full unrestricted access.

Now, if I could only find a good light ring that would fit around the stump and produce enough good light.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:40 AM   #12
HERPER
Algae Grower

That sounds like a really good idea and i couldnt think of a better tank to use for that then the ones that i got.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:17 PM   #13
Zurp
Planted Member

I actually stole that idea from a similar tank that I saw with a "Hand Made" tree in the center. I just thought that a real tree would look better. Not that the hand made tree looked bad, it just had something out of place.

The hand made tree was made by forming a wire frame around twisted roots, and securing it with steel rods. Then cork bark slices were applied to the outside, making it look like a old tall pine tree (Ones that have cracked bark at the base). The bark was held in place with black fish-tank caulking. The thing that I thought was neat was the orchid cups that they integrated into the trunk and the cap that they made from a real tree, to cover the hole on top.

I wanted mine to go right to the top, so I can reach inside while the top is on. Giving the effect that I just sliced a cube right from the forest.