Light issue WHAT KIND? PLEASE HELP
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Pinnapple
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Light issue WHAT KIND? PLEASE HELP

Hey everyone I really could use someones help here, I just purchased an aqueon 29 gallon deluxe kit (My first fish tank) very excited to get it up and running! and I'm going to make it a Low-tech planted guppy, Platy tank, I have everything else figured out except when it comes to the light situation. I have no idea what I have to look for when looking for lights. Like the watts? or what ever the k means in 6500k on some bulb specs, sorry very new to light bulbs and fish tanks. The tank came with a hood and t8 full spectrum florescent light. I'm sure everyone thinks I should probably get a whole different light fixture but I very much don't want to do that, does anyone know what I should do what would be the best single t8 light for live plants and it wont melt hood if too hot will it?

Exact measurements of tank 30L 13W 19H

Also what do you all suggest for a substrate best for plants and how much to use. I'm thinking about going with Eco complete, It seems with every substrate you will be a bad review on it somewhere.
Pinnapple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: Light issue WHAT KIND? PLEASE HELP

I highly recommend reading through the stickies in the lighting section. At least start on a base knowledge.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
merritt1985
Planted Member

I use a finnex ray2 on my 29 gallon. the ray2 gives me med light. You might try the fugeray it's less then 100 bucks. For your t8 chances are it's only gonna provide very low light on a tank of that depth. I have used eco complete, fluval plant stratum and fluorite. I like eco the best but there's not a whole lot of difference mainly what you thinks looks good. Good luck with your tank
merritt1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Pinnapple
Algae Grower

merritt1985 Thanks for your help, do you think you could link me to a 24 inch t8 to which your talking about?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

You should have enough light with a single T8 bulb to grow low light plants, like Java Ferns, Anubias, mosses, some crypts. It doesn't make much difference which bulb you use in the light, but most of us like the appearance of the tank best when a cool white or 6500K bulb is used.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:15 AM   #6
Pinnapple
Algae Grower

I would like to have carpeting plants will dwarf sag work in my low light setup? would a 6500k bulb be better for my plants? and if so what light do you suggest? thanks for your help.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
EngineChauffer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

How "handy" are you? Meaning would you be interested in a retrofit kit for your current hood? If you are, take a look at the AHSupply 55w (or you can squeeze two of their 36w kits) for your current stock hood. The kits come with literally everything you need and if you follow the instructions (which are very well written, plus you can email them with questions if you have them) it is very easy. Remember you have to buy the bulb separately, they also offer them on their site.

I have one of their 55w lights in my stock hood which gives me almost 2w/gallon (1.89). I am not sure what the PAR is since I do not have a meter, however I can say the light penetration is very good. The only downside is the heat put off of it if laid directly on top of the hood/aquarium. It will raise the temp about 2 degrees during the day with it on. I am currently looking at either hanging the light or making custom legs with angle brackets to get my light 1 or 2" off the top glass as I have an all glass aquarium top. (I ditched the stock hood) With most fish/plants this increase in temp will make no difference and actually kind of replicate the temp up/down day/night cycle. The ONLY reason I am worried about it is I have shrimp coming and am trying to balance the water temp required by my Fish, Plants and Shrimp as I am shooting for a constant 72 degrees. Again, this would be a non issue in a community/planted tank.

Here is their website: http://ahsupply.com/

Hope this helps.

Tags
aqueon, hood, light, substrate, watt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.